Author Topic: AN size question  (Read 2464 times)

sues1953

AN size question
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:59:43 am »
Hi All,

Being newly diagnosed I am reading allot and it is sometimes upsetting so I just want to clarify what 3.0 cm's is.  I have been told that my AN is 3.2 cm and from what I am told that is nowhere near the size of an egg.  I hope I'm right about this because I am a very small person and the thought  of a egg size tumor in my head makes me feel a little sick.

Susan, age 57 3.2 right side AN, still researching treatment, tentative surgery scheduled at House March 4th.
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: AN size question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 02:46:42 pm »
Hi Sue,

Going to give this a shot....

10mm = 1 cm
1 cm = just under 1/2 inch
3cm = just under 1-1/2 inch

Hope that helps.

*puts back US/Metric ruler back on desk*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sues1953

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 03:45:17 pm »
Hi Phyl!

Thank you 1 1/2 " sounds much better and it's closer to what I understood it to be.  I get a little confused by some posts on size.  I think people put CM instead of mm at times and then references to size can be way off. 

I appreciate your response.  Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 03:49:23 pm »
Glad to help Sue. Married to a Brit and he had to remind me of metric conversion... that 10mm = 1 cm. So, if you keep that in mind when reading around here (ex:  if someone says their AN is approx 23mm... it means that it's 2.3cm.....), it may be of help.

No worries.
Phyl :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

epodjn

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 05:43:05 pm »
Mine was 3.2 cm also and my doctor related it to the size of an eye so just under 1 1/2 inches sounds about right. Don't dwell on the size too much. Thinking about anything foreign being in your head tends to freak you out after a while. Just concentrate on good docs and good treatments. I'm here to tell you it all works out in the end! Life is good.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!