Author Topic: hair falling out  (Read 6400 times)

pattibobatti

hair falling out
« on: August 24, 2006, 12:56:20 pm »
Wondering if anybody can help me on this one... My hair has been falling out for the past 4 months.. I had my surgery 7 months ago.  I was unlucky and my Dr. had me on steroids much too long.  I think that's why I'm loosing my hair.  I looked up info on the internet and loosing hair is a side effect..

I've never seen this issue addressed here.  Now I'm really concerned because I have lost more that half of my hair..I was blessed with alot of hair, but I'm getting nervous...Besides, I'm having all my face surgery next month (reconstructive), so I'll be all beautiful and stuff, with NO hair!!!!!!!!

I really don't think anything can be done,tho.

Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: hair falling out
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 02:19:08 pm »
HI
  I lost an incredible amount of hair after my surgery on the AN side and on top. It went on for several month and seemed to stop coming out so much after a while. The Docs told me my scalp was in surgical shock since they pull back the scalp. They said it would eventually grow back. It's been 23 months, no new hair. I already had fairly thin hair. I am really bummed about this. Wish there was something for it.  Every now and then a bunch more comes out, and only on the AN side. It is really freaking me out. Like a tumor isn't enough, I gotta be bald too. My thoughs and prayers are with you as you embark on your facial surgery journey. I may be going bald and have many other post op issues, but I was very fortunate in that my facial paralysis lasted only about 3 months and then gradually came back. Only slight impairment now, hardly noticable.
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

amymeri

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 05:24:26 pm »
I started having hair loss :o a couple months after surgey and it continues.  It may be that you are experiencing the normal telogen effluvium that happens with illness or surgery and your hair will grow back over the next 6 months.  Or it could be the meds.

Usually hair loss is only temporary and I hope that is true for you and PattiUT!

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

matti

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 05:57:27 pm »
I started experiencing hair loss about 2-3 months after surgery. I was not on any steriods. I was told that it was not unusual and could be caused from the anesthesia, other meds during or after surgery, trauma and stress of the surgery.

My girlfriend had a hysterectomy a few months ago and is experiencing the same problem.

Good news is that mine grew back and I know yours will too ;D

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Raydean

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 06:58:35 pm »
To add to the list of possible reasons for hair loss.  Stress can also cause hair loss.
(No stress in our lifes right) also hormone changes can also be a factor.  Thank goodness it grows back.

Have a great day
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

pattibobatti

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 07:29:22 am »
Thanks you guys,

With stress, surgery, steroids and whatever else- can't believe I have one hair left!!!

And I have this 'thing' growing out of my head! (new hair) 

Yes, I'm a mess, but hair does grow back

Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 08:42:45 am »
Yes, stress can cause hair loss, as can any kind of trauma.  There's a shampoo out there that I used when I lost 1/2 of my hair after adult-onset Scarlet Fever...my hairdresser reccommended it.  It's called Nioxin.  I fried half of my hair follicles from having a 104 degree temp for over 5 days....Nioxin is not Rogaine, it's just a shampoo to keep the follicles clean and to try to stimulate growth.  It smells like eucalyptus.  I have long hair, and it took forever for it to come back...had messy looking spikeys for awhile...but it did grow back.  I'm losing a lot right now, but nowhere near what I did when  I had scarlet fever. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 01:36:08 pm »
Hey my mom used that for her thinning hair with hormonal issues.  My sis in law whos a nurse and into homeopathic stuff got her on it.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 08:34:20 pm »
Losing hair is no fun at all and stress is a huge factor.  Another thing that people often over look is their diet.  You need to eat a lot of protein and fresh fruits and veggies.  The health food store has a hair grow vitamin that works wonders too, but the proper diet is very important.
 ::)BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

shoegirl

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 11:33:37 am »
Not sure if this well help, but I used a pure protein shampoo and conditioner.  I think it is call PPT by shiesdo?  (Phyl may know the exact brand name)? It is japanese line of hair products.  I think it helps strength the remaining hair and prevent breakage, etc.  My hair loss was from radiation but it helped me.

Best Wishes!
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 08:08:05 am »
*retired hairdresser comes running in to save the day!* :)

PPT... great stuff.  Protein based which acts as a magnet to the hair shaft to help reinforce strength, since hair is made up of keratin protein... so, protein enhanced with protein = strength from breakage!

Like Shoegirl, with my CK treatment, I have also had hair loss (and a couple of small patches, some on front hairline.... but if you've seen my hair, I can afford to lose a few hairs).  Believe it or not, I also found Garnier Long and Strong/Length and Strength as a good product to help prevent loss/breakage.  Now, it's very rare you find a hair professional recommending OTC products but as one that was a product sales mgr for hair product for years, I actually found this one to work well.  If you want to stick to salon products, look at the list of product ingredients that are protein based.  Moisture conditioners are also in need as meds and such will also affect the hair (as previously noted here) but don't over moisturize... the hair shaft can only take in so much moisture conditioner, so maybe 2x/week.  Also, heat and massage will help stimulate hair growth.

I do free consults. Come sit in the chair at my station and will try to help if I can! :)

Phyl

Not sure if this well help, but I used a pure protein shampoo and conditioner.  I think it is call PPT by shiesdo?  (Phyl may know the exact brand name)? It is japanese line of hair products.  I think it helps strength the remaining hair and prevent breakage, etc.  My hair loss was from radiation but it helped me.

Best Wishes!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Susan L

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 12:49:10 pm »
I think I have only posted on here one other time.  I hope I am doing it correctly.  I had surgery 3/31/06.  While I was in CA I didn't have any problems that I knew of with hair loss.  After I got home, probably 3 weeks after surgery I noticed I could feel a small area that had real short hair - opposite side from my AN.  When I looked - I actually had a small bald spot.  Over the next few days I noticed that the hair just fell out everytime I combed my hair.  I went to my family physician and he thought it was ringworm because there was a definite edge around it - and being on the farm sometimes the animals have it and it can spread to humans.  He wanted me to treat it with a topical over the counter.  After a few days with no results other than my hair was continuing to fall out I called a dermitologist - this was my hair and I wanted results before it all fell out!!  They had a cancellation and got me right in.  She knew right away that it was Alopecia Areata (sp).  She treated it with a topical prescription steriod with some results.  I then had to go back and she actually gave me several little shots of steriods where the hair was falling out.  This got it under control.  The hair is growing back - slowly.  She told me that I had been under a lot of stress.  My father became ill on Chirstmas Day, everyday we made the 100 mi. round trip to help him after I got off work, he passed away on Feb 12 - 4 days after I found out about my AN.  I told her that I had a total peace - the peace that transcends all understanding.  The Dr. said that even though I felt at peace my body was stressed from the surgery.  I hope this helps others.

Chris

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 03:55:12 pm »
For those who have suffered hair loss after radiation, how long after treatment did it start happening?
2.5cm AN diagnosed late 2005 and treated with fractionated stereotactic radiation in Sydney Australia Oct 2005