Author Topic: New surgery "must read material"  (Read 3917 times)

TOM101

New surgery "must read material"
« on: June 23, 2010, 07:26:36 pm »
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/191262.php

This is a surgery we might want to follow as we watch and wait for a better method of dealing with our AN's.
It cuts surgery and recovery time and less invasive.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: new surgery procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:23:12 pm »
Hi Tom:  Boehene is a surgeon working alongside Dr. Patrick Byrne in the Plastic surgery division of ENT at Johns Hopkins (I had the T3 procedure done by Byrne).
I don't know that they're operating on AN's with this procedure.  If they are, then this is MAJOR news for us !!  Thanks for the info !!
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: New surgery "must read material"
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 10:55:30 pm »
Tom -

VERY interesting article; thanks for sharing it.

For some reason, though, reading it made me cringe.  I just can't imagine them going in through your eyelid - and keep in mind that I've had the "regular" AN surgery (aka a craniotomy) and a BAHA implant (hole drilled into skull; titanium rod inserted). 

But then again, to each his own.  This may be a great option for AN patients in the future.

I'm curious if patients undergoing this type of surgery have any eye "issues".  Although my eye issues are small (mostly dry eye on occasion) there are numerous AN patients who have major eye issues.  I wonder if this surgical approach would help eye issues or make them worse.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

GRACE1

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 07:13:59 am »
Great article.  Thanks for sharing.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 06:38:36 am »
Very interesting approach.  I can't imagine being a doctor, looking at someone's eyeball and thinking "Hmmm, I think I could get into the brain MUCH easier by just going behind eye.."

It would be interesting to see a follow-up regarding the patients vision pre and post-op.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 08:15:38 am »
I, too, cringe at the thought of this. It reminds me too much of lobodomies. This is how they did them, through the eyes.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

jerseygirl

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 09:55:52 am »
Thanks for the article! It is very interesting.

The approach is not new. It is done just about anywhere for all kinds of tumors located at the front and center of the brain, including pituitary tumors. What surgeons did instead of that is take a big portion of the skull or go through the palate in the mouth and pushed the brain aside to get an operating view of the tumor. That was called "traditional" approach. Needless to say, the patient was just ravaged by the surgery itself. Pain was incredible, complication and side-effects were numerous. This article describes minimally invasive approach where an endoscope is inserted through an eyelid, avoiding a lot of destruction and damage. ANs are in the back and easy to access for a surgeon even in a traditional method so there has not been enough incentive for surgeons to switch primarily to an endoscope but those who do utilize an endoscope for AN resection, enter close to AN which is the back of the head. I have a feeling if minimally invasive approach for ANs will become mainstream in the future, surgeons will still enter in the back, not front.

Back in 1988, when I had my first AN surgery, I roomed with several pituitary patients. I have been over 30 days in the hospital and as bad as there were things for me, they have been even worse for pituitary. That memory was what made me choose an endoscoipic method over traditional for my second surgery in 2007 and I have not regretted it. I only wish that this method was offered in NY; it is ridiculous to travel to CA  for it!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 03:30:27 pm »
Tom ~

Thanks for posting the link to the article.  Increasing our knowledge of potential advances in AN surgery is always welcome.  I'm not a doctor, of course, but I suspect that, due to proximity, this 'eyelid approach' is likely better suited to actual brain surgery than AN removal surgery, which is skull-based.  However, I do think that endoscopic surgery for AN removals is a real possibility to replace the traditional surgical approaches now in use.  How this all jells into a working model for future AN removal surgery remains to be seen.  We know that change often happens at a glacial pace in the medical world but I can foresee better outcomes and shorter hospital stays for AN patients in the next decade or so. 

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jerseygirl

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 05:23:26 pm »
Jim,

Any shorter than 2-3 days that some people get (I got that in my second surgery) would be drive-through! ;D That would be a great development!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 10:51:26 am »
Simplifying AN surgery and shortening recovery time is always a plus.  Any change in current procedures that reduces the ongoing problems we all face would be nothing short of a miracle.  ANs have always been considered a rare tumor, but with the availability of MRIs, their occurance is bound to increase.  It will be interesting to see what new surical advances are on the horizon.

Medicine does inprove over the years...it's just slow to do so.  My father had a corneal transplant in Denver in 1974.  At the time, he spent 2 weeks in the hospital and had to stay in Denver for a month after his release.  He had to wear a patch over his eye and could not drive for 6 months.  Over the years, he had several more corneal transplants...each considerably simpler than the last. He had his last one in 2000 in his doctor's office in a small town in Nebraska.  He went home immediately afterward. 

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the future held the same sort of promise for AN patients?
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid