Author Topic: SHELLSHOCKED  (Read 2995 times)

stevecms

SHELLSHOCKED
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:01:14 pm »
Hi fellow an,ers.8 months after translab i still feel like ive been kicked in the head.Will this ever get any better,please help.
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: SHELLSHOCKED
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:36:31 pm »
Hi, Steve - and welcome.

I'm sorry to learn that you're not doing too well at eight months post-op.  Some AN surgery patients do have ongoing problems post-op but they usually resolve with time and/or some form of therapy.  Fatigue is common to all post-surgical AN patients.  I certainly experienced it and even today, just about 4 years out of surgery, I still don't have the stamina I used to. I attribute some of that to my age (67) but I believe that it's partially due to the trauma the surgery imposed on my aging but otherwise healthy body.  That having been stated, some of our members are extremely physically active following surgery.  I'm talking about running marathons, long-distance biking, etc.  These folks are usually younger and had an excellent surgical outcome.  Sometimes, it takes time to regain complete wellness - but it does come, as some of the posts you may read on these forums, prove. 

Because I'm not a doctor and don't have much information about the size of your AN and what your doctor has stated to you regarding your recovery issues, I'm going to suggest that he would be the first person to talk to about your recovery issues, based on his medical knowledge and familiarity with your case.  I also realize that some doctors lose interest in their surgical patients once the operation has been successfully completed.  That is unfortunate and I hope it isn't the case for you. 

Of course, as AN patients we can empathize with your frustrations.  I hope we can offer you some practical advice as you struggle with your post-op issues.  Collectively, our members have a wealth of practical knowledge that may be useful to you and we'll be here to support you in whatever way we can.  Please consider these forums as a resource.  We want to help.

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mandy721

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 12:04:44 pm »
Steve,

You are not alone with your feelings.  My husband, who is 9 months post-op,  would probably describe himself in similar terms.  He has had a very rough time with the complications and effects of surgery.  Of course it could be worse, but then again it could be better.  The obvious problems he deals with are fatigue, the effects of the right side facial paralysis and  cognitive issues - he has a hard time with names and also has  dysnomia at times.   He has made tremendous progress, but things are really  not close to where they were pre-surgery.   Rest and stress impact him greatly. 

Miranda
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

stevecms

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:28:32 pm »
Miranda & Jim,thank you for your comments.it seems to be the scar area and my ear which pulses and throbs.the doc said there is a fault in the skull from the operation which accounts for the pulsing.i know its prob not a big deal but its constant reminder of the op & an.thanks guys.
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

moe

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:49:02 pm »
Hi Steve,
I'm sorry to hear that you are still feeling like "doo doo" 8 months post op.

This AN journey is exactly that. Everyone recovers differently. Some have NO side effects, others have some that affect their daily living (moi) and still others lives are altered so badly that they cannot even work. Give yourself at least a year, plus the fact that brain surgery is considered Traumatic Brain Injury and take up to 5 years to feel better (I still have a year :D )

Maintaining any sense of humor is important. As far as your scar area and ear which pulses and throbs, is there anything they can give you to decrease the pressure there? Ask and see what they say.

It is in my opinion a part time job just taking care of myself and all my symptoms, and I am 4 years post op! I'm getting there though. Day by day, inch by inch. Hopefully by the 5th year.

Let us know how things continue to go and try to enjoy the good things that life has for you :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty