Author Topic: Sam & Adrian  (Read 3000 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Sam & Adrian
« on: November 13, 2007, 07:41:03 pm »
Was just wondering if anyone's heard from Sam & Adrian lately?   ???

It seems like a while since we've heard from them.  I was curious how Adrian's recovery is going.

Anyone been keeping in touch with them?

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Battyp

Re: Sam & Adrian
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 11:25:40 pm »
I haven't heard anything but did see a video of him post surgery on Utube. He looked fabulous!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 07:47:01 am »
Interesting; I'll have to check it out.

Is it AN related? or something else?

Thanks.
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:26:16 pm »
an related. I had put in an and his video popped up. He is in the hospital sitting in a chair right after surgery...and laughing. I remember having uncontrollable giggles after surgery. I don't remember sitting up looking that good.

M

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 01:25:43 pm »
M,

Here is the link you mentioned ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZjmyY5AYIo&feature=related

Personally if anyone had posted video footage of me post-op I would have rung their neck ...but everyone is different... maybe he doesn't mind.

Adrian,

We miss hearing from you -give us an update ... Are you still using "eye goop"? Did you get the eye weight to stick on? Have you lost your eye weight  yet?

I still have mine - maybe I am so cautious of loosing it being that I paid twice the price you did for yours LOL ... We are still waiting for a medical  insurance reimbursement… being I had to pay out-of-pocket, up front, first.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 04:55:11 pm »
4 -

thanks for the link.  I was hoping that someone with a little computer smarts (unlike me)  ;D would give us something like this.

I'll have to check it out,

Jan

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 07:10:14 pm »
Hi there AN Family!  Sam here! ;D

So sorry we have been slackers and not posted in a while! Shame on us for sure! You all have been there for us in our darkest hours and I feel bad to not be as active on here as we were before..... BUT ..... as the old saying goes.... NO news is usually GOOD news! :)

Adrian has been doing really good! He is in the kitchen as I type doing his Chef thang and making preparations for tomorrows big feast with the family! I will let him give you all the specific updates as to how exactly he is, but I just wanted to add a quick note to let you all know that he is doing great and to also apologize for not posting in awhile.

I hope that everyone is doing well and has a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday!

Much love from both of us to everyone in our AN Family.

xox
Sam~

Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 10:21:32 am »
Happy Turkey Day Fellow AN’rs!  I’m flattered that Leapyr started a thread about me.  Funny thing is that on Tuesday I was slow at work and I logged into the AN site to touch base because I haven’t even looked at it in about a month, I’m ashamed to admit.  As with everybody, we have been so busy.  I haven’t forgotten about anyone and I always intended on dropping a line especially for Thanksgiving.

I’m glad to see that everyone is doing well.  I happened to read a few posts by Satman and I’m glad to hear he’s back to some level of “normalâ€? life.  Satman, if you read this…..use Refresh Liquidgel drops for your eye during the day, and leave the GOOP for nighttime.  Another AN’r recommended it to me and it’s a lifesaver.

I am doing great.  I returned to work 3 weeks after my surgery.  Sam and I flew to Tucson, AZ 5 weeks after my surgery for a wedding.  I returned to the gym at 8 weeks after surgery and started running at the same time.  Life is truly great, and I have a LOT to be thankful for today.  My face is still paralyzed, but getting slowly better.  My bottom lip is able to move slightly, but nothing else.  I can’t believe its been 11 weeks since surgery.  Time sure flies when you’re having fun.

Here is a pic that we took at Sea World a couple weeks ago. 

I saw it and was bummed about my lack of smile.  So Sam made me take another one…….

See how MEAN Sam is.  Notice her facial expression……SHE’S MOCKING MY SMILE ???…..or lack there of :(  She didn’t want me to feel left out so she tried to mimick me.  She has you all fooled……she’s not so nice!......lol  This totally exemplifies our sense of humor.  As with the YouTube video, I wish you were there….that truly was funny.  I know I will look back at these times years from now and know that I am strong and overcame a lot! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!  Thank you Leapyr, 4, and Batty Michelle for inquiring about me….truly is touching.

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 09:35:49 pm »
Yeah Adrian!
Sounds like you're doing amazing. I saw the video and it made me laugh...when I finally got to a floor I had the giggles something awful. My mom kept telling me to be quiet which of course made me laugh harder. You definitely have run circles around my recover, I'm so glad!

Personally, I think you've got that sexy smirk thing going on. Makes you look tough! Now my first thanksgiving after surgery I did not cook, I cried all day. I'm totally impressed you were cooking!

May you continue to have blessings in abundance!
M

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 12:55:32 am »
Adrian,

Quoting you
"My face is still paralyzed, but getting slowly better.  My bottom lip is able to move slightly, but nothing else.  I can’t believe its been 11 weeks since surgery. "

I had my surgery a couple of weeks ahead of you. This week we noticed a 1.5 mm turn-up movement in my smile on the palsy AN side. It is not a bi-lateral smile yet - but a smirk. Sort of a Mona Lisa smile ... but the first sign for me... and a change from the #6 droop I had 3 months ago.

At the Thanksgiving table I counted this as one of my blessings... (That and being alive LOL  :D ;) )

Be sure, amidst all that crazy weight training, that you also rest... and count your blessings (Sam being one!)

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 11:09:01 am »
Adrian -

so glad to hear that you are doing so well.  Back to work in 3 weeks - incredible!!!  It seems like just yesterday we were all so worried about you being out of work and possibly losing your job.  It's great to know that everything worked out so well. 

Thanks to you - and Sam - for "checking in" and letting us know how your recovery is going.

Jan

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 04:39:51 pm »
Yo Adrian!
Seems like you gotta sexy Elvis smile thang going on! Asymetry rocks! Just ask Sylvester Stallone!

Capt Deb
(my smilie even gots it!)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

1wareagle

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 08:21:37 pm »
Adrian,

My surgery turned out just like yours. I had no movements on the AN side till my 8th month. I was just about to give up hope  when I started getting movement under my eye to my mouth. Before the end of the month I could do a small closed mouth smile. Now at 11 months I still don't have any movement in my bottom lip but I can show all of my top teeth when I smile. I know you have heard this before but it does get better with time. Hang in there!

Ellis

PS  Don't be to hard on Sam for mocking you...my wife does it too. We are both so luck to have someone who does not care how we look and will stick with us though the tough times!
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)