Author Topic: 4 months post-CK MRI with pics  (Read 4153 times)

jb

• My MRI sequence:
4 months post-CK MRI with pics
« on: December 10, 2007, 09:28:24 pm »
Just had a new MRI today so I thought I would try posting some pics.  The first one is a before and after comparing my March 07 scan to today's result.  I switched MRI labs so there is some difference in brightness.  The scale doesn't match exactly but it's not bad.  Tried to find the closest matching slices I could.

Here's another angle of today's scan:

I am thrilled to see all the darkening in the center, but a little shocked to see how much it has swelled.  When I used the measurement tool in the viewing software it looks to have expanded 10-25% in all directions.  By my calculations that comes out to a 70+ % increase in volume!  I will discuss with the doctor next week, but I sure hope the swelling phase is over.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 09:35:37 pm by jb »
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

sgerrard

Re: 4 months post-CK MRI with pics
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:59:29 am »
Nice! It sure does look like a nuked AN in the after picture. I wonder if it really swelled that much? Maybe it grew more between March and August? Or something about the MRI makes it look bigger? Anyway, it looks like a great result to me.

Steve.
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 11:26:19 pm »
I guess it probably did grow some between March and August too.  It was just kind of a surprise to see the size of it now.  It looks quite a bit bigger compared to the other "landmarks" in the image, so I feel like the measurements aren't too far off.  I emailed images to my oncologist at Georgetown and he says it's a "good response" and expects eventual shrinkage.  Can't come soon enough for me!
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 01:46:32 pm »
GREAT to hear the good news. I'm happy that sucker show its dying off. What a great X-mas present. I'm very happy for you!!!!! ;D
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:07:52 pm »
Swelling is normal after a radiation treatment....the good news is the darkening in the center of your tumor.   CONGRATS!!!

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

goinbatty

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 07:44:42 am »
I'm so relieved to hear that you are doing well and the CK worked.  Congrats and Merry Christmas!!
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 11:24:48 pm »
Thanks guys!  I just followed up with my local neuro yesterday.  He basically thinks it looks good too, just a little concerned about the size now and wants to recheck with another MRI in 3 months.  I've been feeling a little better for the last couple of weeks so I'm hoping maybe the worst is over.  It even seems like my hearing is improving ever so slightly.  Not back to where it was pre-CK, but I'm a little more optimistic now.  Who knows with these things though?  Just have to wait and see.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 08:17:35 am »
JB, the films look right on target! :)   

To be at the 4-month post-CK mark and to have these kinds of results (thus far), great news!  We do know that for many that have had any form of radiosurgery/radiation, from this time period up to approx 9-12 mos (give or take as individual results may vary), things (ie: side affects) can crop up, so hang tough, continued wishes for wellness and let's see what the MRI shows in 3 mos. I can share with you, based on my situation.... I'm over 1-1/2 yrs post CK (my AN was 1cm at time of treatment) and like you note, the hearing improved (I'm now back to 100% of what it was at time of treatment, with over 85% serviceable hearing in my AN ear) and the side affects have subsided.  My hope is that you follow that same path for wellness. :)

Congrats!
Phyl
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 08:21:22 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 05:00:47 pm »
Phyl, thanks for the pep talk.  :)

You and other CK-ers that have posted their experiences on this forum were a big factor in my ultimate decision to go with CK.  So far, so good.  I'm much improved now over November and early December.  I still have ear throbbing/head pounding occasionally, but it's getting less frequent and less intense with time.  I'm a little disappointed to have had some hearing loss post-CK, but I was forewarned by my doctors that my odds for hearing preservation were a bit worse because I'd had episodes of sudden hearing loss before treatment.  I attribute it more to having the 2 cm AN in the first place than the treatment itself.

All in all, I feel very fortunate to be where I am at this stage.  It took eight years to get the right diagnosis, but things seem to be on the fast track now.  I hope things continue on this path and that we all have a healthier 2008.

Thanks for all you do here!  :)
JB

candtlaw

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 01:38:35 pm »
glad to see your mri looks really positive jb :)  Very cool!
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

OMG16

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 04:16:13 pm »
This is the first time I've seen these pictures and all I can say is WOW.  JB we will all be waiting to hear back from you after the next MRI.  I have a question for all of you if you don't mind.  After your first MRI did you lay down at night and have the glowing orb (as I called it) ingrained into your memory.  I found that those images of my son still haunt me to this day.  The neurosurgeon called the tumor the  "Harry Potter looking dude".  My son called it my "evil twin".  Now he tells everyone that he always wanted a little brother.  Which brings up another question did you name your tumor?  ;D 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 02:46:27 pm »
Sweet pics- JB!  you know you are an AN nerd/nerdette when you can discuss MRI films the way you discuss wine or sports!  Congratulations, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys