Author Topic: Hearing aid "Benefit" for SSD  (Read 2462 times)

Boppie

Hearing aid "Benefit" for SSD
« on: June 10, 2007, 11:47:54 am »
This is an explanation of my aid.  My benefit, which I will call volume in the dead ear, is small overall.  But the amount of TransEar (bone conduction) input in my dead side is enough to accomplish hearing in the bone.  Add that hearing to the good cochlea and I get a satisfactory summation, a total of better hearing, and sound recognition from both ears.  The sound is real, not mechanical nor tinny.

With TransEar the task is to establish enough bone contact with the mold end to get a benefit.  So when I read posts that say "I need to push on the mold to hear something"  I think they are on the right track to becoming satisfied.

If I plug the good ear completely, I have enough volume to hear in a quiet setting with the TransEar.  But in a noisy room, plugging the good ear again, I get background competition for comprehension.  So my TransEar depends on one good hearing ear, and good bone contact.

I do have a vibration sensation in my TransEar when it is picking up sound on the dead side.  I am still working on relating the vibration to direction.  At least I've told my brain to get busy on it. ;D

Perhaps Cros users (air conduction aids on both ears) will give some details on this topic.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 10:26:06 pm by Boppie »

Jeanlea

Re: Hearing aid "Benefit" for SSD
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 09:55:27 pm »
Boppie,

I remember reading your earlier posts about "summation."  I only sort of understood it.  But now that I have my own  TransEar I can truly understand what you mean.  When I plug my good ear, I can tell that I'm getting some extra sounds via the TransEar.  Sometimes I then take it out to check more.  What I find is that the TransEar gives me more "sharpness" when I hear sounds. 
I also feel a buzzing when sounds are especially loud.  I'm still working on getting my brain to learn that means the sounds are from the left (deaf) side. 

During school I'd tell my students they were so loud they made my ear buzz.  lol

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 10:23:04 pm »
"So loud your ear gets a buzz"... :) A new slant on slang of the 80's  Getting a buzz. ;D 

In the 70's my son, then in middle school, would have thought you got a new, short hair cut ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 11:34:59 am by Boppie »

Andy

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 07:22:58 am »
I think it's great that you are able to hear through TransEar in a quiet setting.  I'm definitely not there- yet, I hope.  Since my ear piece was sanded down a bit too much as part of the adjustment, I'm hoping to get better results when we order a new mold.  It should have better contact with the bone. 

When you hear things through the TransEar Boppie, how do they sound?  I guess I'm trying to determine how loud do you receive the sound (1-10, 10 being just as good as the good ear).

I know you said that the sound is real, but does it sound kind of muffled? or does it sound like it's in the background?  Is it something like if you were to put something, like a drinking glass, to your good ear covering it up completely (the other ear without the TransEar), and someone was talking and you hear them, but it sounds like there's an obstruction somewhere?
Andy
Lost hearing in left ear in 1995 due to motorcycle accident which resulted in a fractured and slightly dislocated skull.

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 09:48:38 am »
Andy, the TransEar sounds natural and low in volume, good quality, just low; I wouldn't describe it as muffled.  I'd say my good ear is a 9 (I have high range loss there), and my aided deaf ear is another 6 for near voices and 3 for distance.   So, my aided summation is between 12 and 15.    Maybe the analogy of the glass to the ear is correct for you.  The sound quality will be subjective for you, since you've missed the ear for a long time.  When my good ear is unplugged I feel enhanced volume (better than just the good ear alone).  The good ear "knows" or tells me that the aid is turned on by the sensation I get in the fuller sound and the tickle in my ear canal; when my aid is in I have a presence on the deaf side once again.  I test my aid each time I insert it by clicking my fingers near the dead side or tapping my mirror with my finger nail (dead ear turned to mirror); if I hear a sharp click I know my battery is good for the moment, my volume setting is enough, and my dead side is "on" again.

The best place I have to check distance hearing for my aid is in church where one person does the homily and the rest of us are supposed to be quiet.  :D

If you hear something that feels "different" you might be getting there.  The brain is amazing, huh?  I've had some issues with "Hal" myself. ;D

By the way...I turn the aid on to my regular setting just before I put the gel on and insert. 

I have a TransEar #1 (purchased in October 2006).  I have recently learned that an upgrade to TransEar #2 might give me even greater gain.  TransEar #2 is the one you are using I think.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 09:51:23 am by Boppie »

Andy

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 03:18:10 pm »
Yes, I have the TE2.  Thanks for the info- very helpful.  It's hard to compare the benefit since so few people have this device.  I am so happy I found this site a few months back! 
Lost hearing in left ear in 1995 due to motorcycle accident which resulted in a fractured and slightly dislocated skull.