Author Topic: Memory again  (Read 2863 times)

rjbarker

Memory again
« on: November 13, 2007, 10:50:22 am »
For any comment, here are some things I've learned recently while trying to write a brief article on AN and Memory problems:

1) For AN patients, short-term memory problems are perhaps mainly problems of not being able to pay attention, with attention being distracted by things like poor hearing, imbalance, stress, fatigue,depression.
2) Short-term /working memory is stored temporarily in the frontal lobe; the brain decides which memories are important enough to move on to become long-term memories.
3) Long-term memories (this was new to me) are stored in pieces in various memory areas of the brain, and the pieces are brought together when the memory is recalled.
4) The anesthesia literature has been reporting for some time that memory loss and problems with concentration are frequently experienced temporarily by patients who have undergone a surgical procedure.
5) Dr Gary Small’s informative book, The Memory Bible, has a chapter for rating memory ability, with a do-it-yourself memory test included. Other chapters discuss ways to improve memory.

Yvette

• Yvette
Re: Memory again
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 11:11:20 am »
Interesting info! Thanks Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 12:55:20 pm »
Before surgery I was having short term memory loss issues however it seemed my long term memory increased as I was having very significant long-term-memory recalls that proved to be most accurate (E.g. I went to my 25 year HS reunion and described details of an event with accuracy, down to the wallpaper in a room … and everyone we amazed I could still remember that far back accurately)

My biggest symptom before AN diagnoses was the sleep deprivation. Although I had no problems falling asleep I could not stay asleep (Apnea study negative)

I felt like I was exhibiting behavior much like I would describe my ADHD students to have and I was very aware of how scattered I was becoming – thus agreed to see an ENT (recommended by the sleep study techy) and have an MRI

My tumor was big (4cm) and pressing on my brain stem to the point of it creating an “s shape� out of it.

Although I still am waking up once in the night I am now able to fall asleep again (it used to be I woke every two hours.) The brainstem controls our sleep…

I think my short term memory issues and ADHD “symptoms� were more related to sleep deprivation. Also to get through the day I would drink caffeine in order to “keep moving forward� (had no idea I had a brain tumor back then.) Perhaps the ADHD symptoms were merely caffeine jitters and fuzziness due to disturbed sleep patterns.I would occasionally drop caffiene and it would make no difference to me sleep pattern...

So now the tumor is out – and I am sleeping much better (however not a perfect pattern yet.) ...I have simultaneously dropped caffeine from my diet all together. I am no longer having short memory issues and am able to stay on task. I notice the improvement immediately after surgery. We will never know for sure what was the cart and what was the horse in my case.

I have just placed a hold on the book you recommended
“Dr Gary Small’s informative book, The Memory Bible�

I hope this thread turns into a lively book discussion.

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

rjbarker

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 02:42:03 pm »
I want to add that, in addition to Gary Small's "Memory Bible," one of the readings I found most helpful is the "Improving Memory" booklet in Harvard Health Publications. Go to www.health.harvard.edu to see the list and order. Many of the books on memory, I think, give too much information. The brief Harvard study doesn't overload the brain.

I used to teach, and what I found was that many students simply didn't pay attention to what they were reading. I used to say, take some notes while you read; see if what you are reading makes sense; what main ideas have you noted; what questions do you have.  I think for AN patients, there are a lot of things that distract us when we read -- we're sleepy, tired, maybe on  medication, under stress etc. Taking notes could help. Reading to remember is hard work for AN patients just out from a traumatic surgery with a long anesthesia. Takes time to get back to the "old me", as deea calls it; or maybe to arrive at a "new normal" as others have said.

lil_lyd

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 06:59:13 pm »

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I had my surgery back in February 07. I was enrolled in school prior to any symptoms of AN (i.e. tinuttis, hearing loss) and I was doing great. When I was diagnosed last November I didn't enroll since I thought I had to much in my mind. I enrolled back in school in August and I'm frustrated because I can't concentrate and I feel tired all the time. I don't feel like getting my books to study and if I do I feel like I can't memorize things. I thought the tinuttis, which sometimes can be really loud, was not letting me concentrate. But I was wondering, after reading rjbarker comment, if the anesthesia and concentration has something to do with what I'm going through. Also my surgery was back in February, it has been 10 months, so I think anesthesia doesn't have nothing to do with concentration at this point. Any comments?   
2.5cm diagnosed 11/06. Translab surgery 02/21/07 at Kaiser San Diego. SSD and very blessed.

tony

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 02:53:13 am »
Yes - I agree with you
it is early days yet - it might be better to build up
gradually to extended study
too much too soon might overload you ?
depends a bit on your other life circumstances
with the right rebuilding process you could have
twice the strength/concentration/endurance ability
in a years time - with half the stress levels
Best of Luck
Tony

rjbarker

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 11:46:47 am »
Tinnitus itself is an attention-buster. I think AN patients often fail to consider how tiring it can be to cope with things like tinnitus, hearing loss, imbalance, eye trouble, stress, depression -- all possible side effects of the surgery. The anesthesia problem will wear off over time, but there are these other things that can affect memory for a longer period. The things we remember best are things we are paying attention to when we try to put them in our memory. It doesn't take too much to be distracted for some of us. That's why I suggested tricks to help remember, like taking notes, which forces us to pay attention while we read. Just going to the store is easier if you have made a list of  things needed. Anyway, it's not always (or ever?) just one thing that can be the problem. I think that's why doctors must groan when patients ask about what's causing their headaches.

lil_lyd

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:23:04 am »
Thanks for your comments. Tony I will follow your advice and I will take it easy at school and at work. I agree with rjbarker tinnitus itself is an attention-buster. Sometimes, there is nothing else I can think of but tinnitus as it can get real loud. Also thanks for the advice taking notes and paying closer attention to things will help a lot.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 01:39:06 am by lil_lyd »
2.5cm diagnosed 11/06. Translab surgery 02/21/07 at Kaiser San Diego. SSD and very blessed.