Author Topic: MRI showed AN  (Read 5701 times)

Bobbysgirl

MRI showed AN
« on: June 02, 2012, 05:18:44 pm »
My husband has been having ringing in his right ear for about 4 to 5 months and finally decided to get it checked. The ear doctor sent hime for bloodwork and an MRI. We spoke to the radiologist after the MRI and he confirmed my husband had a 7.44 mm AN. We go the the doctor for a follow-up on June 7 to discuss results and treatment.

I have so many questions I want to ask, but any advice on what I should be asking or know about before we go? I don't want to be pushy but I want to help my husband as much as I can.

Also, any insight on what I can expect as the caregiver? I just would like to have an idea of what to expect in the coming months.

BeckyMax

Re: MRI showed AN
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:53:41 pm »
By all means, be pushy, this is your husband and his health.  My husband has a pulmonary embolism a few weeks ago, had I not been pushy he would be a lot worse off.

See a couple of doctors, compare their recommendations, do your research, then make an educated decision on how to proceed.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

BlueSky

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 09:58:59 am »
Hi Bobbysgirl,
I'm brand new here too! Your husbands AN is around the same size as mine (6mm) and I was just diagnosed in May. One of the booklets you can order from this site is titled Diagnosis Acoustic Neuroma: What Next? and it has a bunch of questions you can ask the doctor regarding treatment options. Luckily for us, having small AN gives us time to research all of the options and we have more options available to us. These things are slow growing so don't feel rushed into any decisions.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:07:51 pm »
Contact the ANA and ask them for their informational brochures; they are free for the asking.

Also, encourage Bobby to join - or at last lurk on - the Forum.

Being diagnosed with an AN is shocking, but it's nice to know that there are others who have been there and it's also nice to interact with others who have had/have the same issues.

Sometimes the Forum can be a bit scary, so make sure you and Bobby take things with a grain of salt and keep in mind that everyone's experience is somewhat unique.

Based strictly on the size of Bobby's AN, he should have the options of watching & waiting, surgery, or radiation; but location is also a factor when it comes to treatment.

Whatever he chooses to do, I can't stress enough that it's a personal choice and he needs to make his own decision - after educating himself.

It's also vitally important to find a doctor who has lots of experience in treating ANs.  There is a list of doctors/facilities on the ANA's main webpage that are considered Centers of Excellence.  The ANA does not endorse them, but they have passed a rigorous set of "rules" to become Centers of Excellence.  This isn't to say that a doctor/facility not on the list isn't qualified, but it's a great starting point.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Bobbysgirl

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 12:28:31 pm »
Thanks to everyone who has replied or even read my post. I am not sure with his follow up appointment being this Thursday, if we would receive brochures in time. He is just wanting the ringing to stop. Where he works there is a loud machine that makes the ringing worse. He wears double ear protection and he says there is so much pressure and noise he has to go in a different part of the plant to remove them to relieve the pressure and noise.

I am a big "make a pro/con list" person. It helps me to see all sides of a situation. I think this will be a good time for one of my famous lists.

He did actually talk about it more yesterday than he has since the MRI on Tuesday. So I am happy for that.

Again thanks for the information, advice and just listening to a newbie ramble.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 05:31:24 pm »
He is just wanting the ringing to stop.

Treating an AN won't stop the ringing - known as tinnitus.

Tinnitus isn't related to having an AN.  People without ANs have tinnitus, and some people who had/have ANs don't have tinnitus (I've never had it).

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LizAN

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 05:38:36 pm »
While I agree that tinnitus is not always AN related, it is one of the possible symptoms of an AN.  In my case, I only have it on the AN-affected side and not in my good ear.  With the recent tumor growth, it has become much louder.  Some people do get some relief with treatment, but most don't, and in some cases treatment can actually make it worse.  I'm a little nervous about that aspect of having surgery, one month from today.

As with everything AN-related YMMV, (your mileage may vary.)

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

Bobbysgirl

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 06:20:58 pm »
He only has ringing in the affected ear as well. I will just wait til we see doctor on Thursday. Thanks for all the posts.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:53:55 am »
Time to get Bobby to look a this site. Glad you are here because you are an important part of his life. ANs can be treated in so many ways, and generally your doctor will put the final decision in Bobby's and your hands. This site has tons of information available without you asking any questions, and there are posters here who are newbies like you through lots of posties willing to answer your questions and just offer support.

James

Lou

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 10:10:36 am »
just wanted to add that having a supportive wife, looking to obtain information and support is worth more than you could know. Good luck to you both, keep us updated
Lou x
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 08:43:15 pm »
I am not sure with his follow up appointment being this Thursday, if we would receive brochures in time.

I see that the Thursday you referred to is already past.

But if you join ANA with a credit card, the brochures are all available on the ANA website for members.

Believe me, it's well worth the membership cost. I'm recently diagnosed and on Watch and Wait. I joined last week and already have gotten a wealth of information on the site and on the forums.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0