Author Topic: 5 Sleeps to surgery....  (Read 3326 times)

cynthianz

5 Sleeps to surgery....
« on: June 14, 2008, 05:09:30 am »
My littlies here in NZ count the days to events in "how many sleeps"  - well, mummy has 4 sleeps before she checks into hospital on Wednesday, and 5 sleeps to Thursday morning. Then lots and lots of little sleeps for awhile!  Phew!  It took me a few days of cruising this site and forum before I jumped in.  And I learned so much from everyone's stories   --- the most important for me at this very moment is that everyone's is different.    And when I am feeling better when out of hospital, I will tell you mine.  I am hoping as I have not suffered headaches thus far that I might be spared.    At my meeting on Monday with ENT surgeon, I heard that I most likely will have some face paralysis, which is not what I was expecting.  But I am going to be ok.  A lovely woman from the NZ ANA drove to my house yesterday and really, those hugs and words and laughs made all the difference.  THANK YOU support people, for being so tremendous.  I'm sure you have all had your up and down days....mine can still be a bit dark (especially as tis was my 5th time trying to upload a photo and still have no success!)     I still don't feel prepared, but boy am I ready.  Does that make sense?  Cynthia 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:12:18 am by cynthianz »
3.3cmX3.2cmX3.2cm solid and cystic AN left. Diagnosed 20 May 2008.
TranslabSurgery 19 June, 2008.  Auckland, NZ.  Will lose all left hearing, Surgeons Christopher Furneaux and Michele Neefe

Psalm 121

cmp

Re: 5 Sleeps to surgery....
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 05:40:29 am »
Welcome, Cynthia!

When I read the title of your post, I had a feeling young minds had something to do with it...  :)

I totally identify with your feeling of being ready but unprepared (having been bumped 3 days before surgery, scheduled for 6/2 but moved to 6/24), and I agree that keeping in mind how different everyone's experience is is SO important... On the one hand, it's hard to accept that there's no textbook prediction for how things will go, but on the other, despite the different routes they take, everyone seems to emerge somehow on the other side!

I too lost hearing and facial function on the AN, which though they were significant adjustments for some time now have not detracted one bit from my quality of life. And I count myself very fortunate to never have had headaches, and to have resolved my balance issues within the first few months after my original surgery (in '89). So, I think your attitude that you're "going to be OK" is fantastic, and also true!

So glad that you have learned from this forum, and hope that you will draw strength from the support you find here as well as locally. We'll be thinking of you and sending so many wishes and prayers for healing your way...
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 07:47:43 am »
Cynthia:

Thanks for your show of appreciation for ANA, this website and specifically, the forums.  Once again proving that our time and efforts are well worth it if they help, inform and support AN patients like you.

Your children's method of counting time is as charming as it is accurate.  You're correct, mummy will be getting lots of 'sleeps' pretty soon.  :) 

I'm sorry your doctor predicted some possible facial paralysis but better to be prepared and if that can be avoided, think how thrilled you'll be.  Although none of us is ever totally prepared for AN surgery, I do believe, as you stated, that you're quite ready.

I'll be keeping you in thought and prayer Cynthia, as June 19th approaches.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 10:02:58 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

er

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 07:48:44 am »
hello Cynthia

I so sorry you have gotten and AN. Good luck on your scheduled surgery. Nice to hear from you. Keep us in touch of  your progress. Our prayers are with you.
try this to put your photo on the forum
Up load a photo to photo bucket
Then copy the direct link
Than paste to have my own picture forum profile information
eve

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 09:16:27 am »
Hi Cynthia -

Here's hoping your Five Sleeps are peaceful and serene!  If you haven't put your "date" on the calendar yet, do that so we can all be sending you tons of prayers and good energy on your day.

Take good care of yourself for the next few days. And, take your recovery one day at a time.  We're all here for you.

Debbi - six weeks post...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 09:51:13 am »
I still don't feel prepared, but boy am I ready.  Does that make sense?

Cynthia -

this makes perfect sense.  I think a lot of us felt this way going into treatment.

I pray you will be spared headaches post op also.  As you say, all of us are different so you never know. 

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 11:03:38 am »
Cynthia~
My girlies count "sleeps" too - in fact, my hubby & I will probably always refer to things that way now!!

Let's hope that the facial stuff is either non-existant or short-lived!!  Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best!!

Will be praying for you from Texas!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 01:19:17 pm »
I know what you mean about just wanting to get it over with.  I'll be praying for you.  About the paralysis, I believe that surgeons truly try to do everything they can to protect the facial nerve b/c it can really affect quality of life.  I, too, was warned that I could have some paralysis.  But, fortunately for me, I did not.

I hope the sleeps are peaceful and they go by kind of quickly ;).  I'll be praying for a great outcome for you.. :)
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 05:39:19 am »
Hi Cynthia -
Good luck with your surgery.  You'll be in my thoughts and prayers on the 19th.  I hope everything goes well and that when you are feeling up to it, you will update us.  We are always interested and anxious to see how eveyrone does with their surgery.  Sending you hugs and good healing thoughts.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 06:45:14 am »
Cynthia,
  Best of luck with your translab on thursday.  We'll be thinking of your and sending positive thoughts your way.  I can remember the last few days leading up to my surgery.  It was tough trying not to think about it all the time, even though it was imposible not to.  Know that many have preceded you and done well.
Regards,
  Rob
PS. I hope to make it to NZ sometime to tour the wineries, and see some of the fantastically beautiful mountain areas.  NZ really makes some of my favorite Pinot Noir.
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 10:20:50 pm »
Cynthia -

I know it's a little too early for you to be back here posting, but I wanted to say that I'm hopeful your surgery went well on Thursday.

I've been thinking about you and praying for good results.

I'm hoping we hear from you soon, postie   :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 07:22:30 am »
Cynthis-

Joining Jan in wishing you a good recovery, and hoping that you are feeling a bit better each day.  We all look forward to hearing from you when you are up to it.

And, Rob and I would like to wish you a quick return to drinking some lovely NZ wines very soon!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 06:51:05 am »
Cynthia,

Hope all went well with your surgery, that you are feeling well (somewhat well anyway) and that you will update us soon.  We're all like mohter hens here worrying about how the chicks are doiing.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sammict

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 08:52:07 am »
Hi Cynthia

I hope you recovery goes well I will say a prayer for you I can't to read your posts .

Sam

calimama

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 07:18:32 pm »
HI Cynthia...
NOt sure if i missed a post surgery post but just wanted to say that i hope all went well.

Having lived nealy 5 years in Australia (and having got AUS citizenship) I feel a special Kiwi connection and hope that all is going well for you. Love the pics of little ones.

Trish in Toronto Canada

GOOD ON YA!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.