Author Topic: Complications post op  (Read 2273 times)

janaeb

Complications post op
« on: February 05, 2016, 05:48:18 pm »
Hello My Dad is 56 years old and was diagnosed with AN Jan 2016,  4 days after being diagnosed he had a 10 1/2 hr procedure to remove the tumor which was the size of a small orange. My dad has been in ICU for almost 2 weeks.  A combination of other health related options and the brain surgery have cause him a slow hard recovery. He isnt speaking and mostly sleeps all day. he has been Tube Feed during this time  and is experiencing trouble breathing and swallowing . Is this Normal ?? all the info i have read most people seem to be out of ICU and in a regular room and rehab if needed within 2 weeks. this is all new to my family and we are very concerned and scared. any feedback is needed and appreciated God Bless

PaulW

Re: Complications post op
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 02:11:27 pm »
If the tumour is the size of a small orange then this a very large acoustic neuroma.
Complications for a tumour that size is almost inevitable.
I wish your father a fast recovery.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Patti

Re: Complications post op
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 04:39:31 pm »
I was 38 when i had my 4 cm tumor removed.  I was in ICU with those very same issues.  I was then transferred to a rehab center for 4 more weeks and then 6 more months of out-patient re-hab.  It was serious.  But i eventually recovered and live a normal life. Some issues still exist but you really do get used to them. I think you will be surprised what you see in another month!  My heart goes out to your father!
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015