Author Topic: Tinnitus Relief?  (Read 5654 times)

mellowrama

Tinnitus Relief?
« on: October 01, 2009, 04:44:12 pm »
I've been doing some research to hopefully calm my head down...I read that Ginkgo biloba is supposed to help.  Anyway had any success with this or anything else?

I also read that aspirin or anything will willow bark might increase the noise...
Melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Tinnitus Relief?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 08:05:22 pm »
Melinda .....

There was an audiologist (Vasilike Rauch, AuD) at the symposium who addressed tinnitus retraining treatment.  She did not give out a handout and unfortunately I could not hear her well enough to understand all she was saying.  However, if you do a Google on tinnitus retraining therapy, it pulls up several articles.  One is:  http://www.tinnitus.org/home/frame/THC1.htm

I do not know anything about Ginkgo Biloba, but too much Aspirin has long been known to cause ringing in the ears.  However, I do not think the tinnitus we are experiencing is quite the same as Aspirin-induced ringing.

Most of the time I can successfully re-focus away from my tinnitus, but the hyperacusis remains a problem.

I will be interested to see what others post on this thread.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:10:24 pm »
There was an audiologist (Vasilike Rauch, AuD) at the symposium who addressed tinnitus retraining treatment.  She did not give out a handout and unfortunately I could not hear her well enough to understand all she was saying. 

I heard from many that Vasilike Rauch was an excellent speaker and gave out some very valuable information at the symposium.

The ANA may have a copy of her talk available - or you may be able to reach her through The Ear Institute of Chicago (www.chicagoear.com)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 07:01:00 am »
Jan .....

Yes, an order form is included at the end of the September Notes Newsletter insert.  Unfortunately it is only for audio CDs or MP3s, no visuals.  Her workshop on Tinnitus is available.  I need to order the whole set, but have not done so.

Thanks.  Clarice

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 08:05:35 am »
Melinda,

My ENT told me to try Ginkgo and I used it for 3 months.  It is a natural medicine from the Ginkgo plant so my insurance didn't pay anything (it cost about $45 a month here in Germany).  I noticed a very slight difference, tinnitus wasn't queit as high pitched.  For me it wasn't worth the cost.  My ENT says that it has helped some of her patients but for others it had no effect. 
It may be worth the try for you. 

Dan in Germany

US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Melissa778

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:56:44 am »
Just saw my doc the other day and we spoke about tinnitus.  He said that salt, caffeine, asprin and fatigue are huge factors in tinnitus.  I'm trying to eliminte some of these slowly from my diet to see if it helps....but I'm a pepsi/pretzel junkie. :)  He also told me that sometimes placing a ear plug in my good ear can help when it gets severe.....the downside to that is....then i REALLY can't hear :)

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

mellowrama

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:08:40 am »
thanks for the feedback...I checked out the website for Neuromonics...sounds interesting.  Has anyone tried it?  There is even a hearing clinic that provides it in my town...

I heard that someone I know has bad tinnitus and is prescribed xanax, wow, I guess to keep one calm as it can get so bothersome?

I really don't want to cut out all my remaining vices!  ha!  ;)  (salt, caffeine)
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 09:58:16 am »
I'm with Melinda, I'd have a hard time going cold turkey with NO caffeine (I only drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning but it is my jump-start for the day.).  We reduced our salt intake a long time ago but I still crave chips, etc.  Now, the big issue is cutting out fatigue!   ???  For nearly all of us, this is a major issue and I would sure like to know how anyone has learned to cut it out ..... short of sleeping/napping all day!   ::)

I do know that the more tired I am the worse the tinnitus is, but stress and noisy environments are close seconds for making it worse.

Clarice

Mickey

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 10:16:37 am »
Although finding out about my AN a little over 2 years ago, I have had tinnitus around 30 years. I`ve tried everything under the sun with not to much success to make it completely go away. All may be helpfull which is associated with a healthy lifestyle to minimize symptoms. Although expensive without insurance Neuromonics which I have competed has relieved my symptoms to a more managable level over the past year. Best Wishes, Mickey

overthill

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 06:42:53 pm »
This is my first time on here. So here it goes. I've had ANA for 5 and 1/2 yrs. my tumor is 3mm and has been from the beginning. I'm loosing all my hearing and balance. The tumor is sitting on the blood vein. Radiation and sugery not recommended. My question is! Has anyone used a Zen hearing aid that just plays white sounds into the ear to relive tennitius?

moe

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 09:30:37 pm »
I am one of those who is on xanax for the tinnitus. Low dose .5 mg two times/day. It brought it down from a scream to a high pitch squeal so I can say it has helped. I also noticed in an ATA newsletter that it has been "approved" as  treatment for tinnitus.
 I can actually notice the tinnitus  getting louder when I'm in a noisy environment. I may put in an ear plug in my good ear if I'm in the same room when my husband is watching tv and forgets to put the volume down. I can still hear around me, it just helps muffle sounds so the tinnitus doesn't get worse.

I haven't tried a Zen hearing aid that plays just white sounds. How do you mask tinnitus on a deaf ear?  That is my question ??? ??? ??? ???

So overthill- if your tumor is sitting on a blood vein, do you have a hemangioma? Why don't they recommend surgery if you don't mind me asking? Losing all your balance and hearing is not a good thing as you know!
I hope you can get a second opinion if you haven't already.
Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lholl36233

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 04:19:27 pm »
Overthill-

Sorry if you read this in another post.  I have a hemangioma.  It is adjacent to the facial nerve.  I was told surgery to remove it would guarantee damage to the facial nerve but I was fortunate to have the option of proton radiation to stop the tumor's growth.  I start next month.

Don't give up.  You have options.

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!