Author Topic: 12 days post CK - things have changed  (Read 1720 times)

MaryEBS

12 days post CK - things have changed
« on: June 25, 2012, 07:01:20 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I finished CK on Wednesday 6/13 and went back to work on 6/18.  For the most part the week was uneventful... I was tired quite a bit, but was able to fulfill my obligations.  I have been having what I describe as a dull earache for the last few days... sometimes it feels like my heart beating aside my ear in my head.  I was dragging so much today I had to leave around 11:30 and went home and slept straight through until almost 6.  I checked with my doctor who says I am having an extreme reaction and that he can write me a note to get me some time out of work... but I am going to try again in the morning... am I trying too hard to rush getting back to 'normal'?

Tumbleweed

Re: 12 days post CK - things have changed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:57:51 pm »
FWIW, and based on what you said, I would say you are pushing too hard. You just had a very major procedure performed on your brain. Give yourself what you need to heal. Rest -- and especially sleep -- is the most important thing you can do to accomplish that. (Sleep increases blood flow to the brain and those cranial nerves that were traumatized by the radiation.) Work only as much as you can without draining your energy during this most important recovery period. You can make up for lost time later, once your energy bounces back. You don't want to extend your recovery period by draining your recuperative powers and taxing an already over-taxed brain.

The good news is your "extreme reaction" might indicate the tumor is dying rapidly. I too had an extreme reaction to CK and my tumor, after initially swelling, shrunk dramatically. The rough ride is worth the destination. But you might only get the benefits if you give your body all the support it is asking for now. What can possibly be more important?

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08