Author Topic: Update - 2nd infection...  (Read 13711 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Re: Update - 2nd infection...
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 07:16:10 pm »
I am soooo lucky to be surrounded by such fabulous people!!!  My husband took a look at the incision when he got home from work today and  said it looked really good and that I'm panicking.  My head is still pretty numb from the January surgery, but even at that, I can tell it's pretty ouchy at the part where it was infected and open - they worked on that part a lot during the second surgery. 

I have a dr appt tomorrow afternoon to make sure there is no problem.  We've been told three different things about how to care for this (the nurses in same-day surgery, the neurosurgeon resident, and another nurse).  I want a plan....I want to know why I'm not using something more potent, given my history with infection....I want to know how often to apply the ointment (that varies from person to person)...I want to know whether to wrap it or not at night (and if I wrap it, is it a wet-to-dry dressing or not???).  What should it look like as it heals?  What are signs of trouble?

I am so gun-shy now!  My daughter is coming with us to the dr. tomorrow, so she can hear all of this too. 

Are there other questions I should ask???????  Maybe are there straight jackets for rental?  Bubblegum machines that dispense tranquilzers?  I feel like I'm becoming quite the nut-case here!!!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

moe

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2009, 10:37:57 pm »
No you are not the nutcase. You've been through so much, you just want it to be over >:(
Ask  if it is normal to have this drainage. They may do a culture of the drainage, (ask them- "Are you going to do a culture of the drainage?")
I would imagine just keeping it clean and dry and continue what you are doing is what they'll say, but we'll see.
Is the B ointment Bactroban or Bacitracin?
Ask for Bactroban if you can!
(I'm a poet and I don't know it)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sgerrard

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2009, 10:56:11 pm »
Kathy,

I have decided you are done now. At this point what you have is a cut on your head. You have to take care of that, of course, but it is nothing like the brain surgery and staph infection and PICC line and other fun stuff you have been through. This is peanuts by comparison.

So stick a band-aid on it, and kiss it and make it better.  :-*

I hope it completely heals up and you are feeling better soon.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 11:01:40 pm by sgerrard »
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 09:56:41 am »
So it said, so it is written.....I welcome the pronouncement, Steve!!!  A cut on the head- nothing more.  Maybe I need a recorded message to place under my pillow to reinforce that thought while I sleep!!!

The antiobiotic ointment they want me to use is bacitracin - I have my list of questions prepared and one of them is to get a prescription for bactroban.  Can't hurt to ask -they are used to me asking them millions of questions!  We leave for Cincinnati in an hour and I am ready to hit the road!!!  Kristin is going with us, since she has wound care duty when she is home during the day to give my husband a well-deserved break.  So, hopefully, we will be better armed with the facts if we are faced with peculiarities during the healing process.

Thanks for the boosts!! 

And for those of you who may be getting prepared for surgery or are just past it, I am in the 1% of patients who develop infection post-op.  This is NOT the norm here!!!  My mother always said I have to do things the hard way.  How do moms know so much??!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

cindyj

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 11:54:23 am »
You're just very special, Kathy!  But, think of it as adding more great details to your story - though I know you'd rather do without some of these details...

Hope things resolve themselves quickly for you!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 01:23:53 pm »
I'm with you, Kathy!  I have always accused my son of doing things the hard way, but hey!  I 'm the one who got post-operative meningitis two months after I had surgery. ;D
 I have since returned to work and my leak seems to be well on the way to being healed--thanks be to God!  You may make decisions about me, too, Steve.  I
think it is time
Prisclla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 07:10:40 pm »
Guess what????  I had the best appt ever with the neurosurgeon!!  He said the wound is healing beautifully and there is absolutely no infection anywhere!  My daughter and I just might have panicked a tad bit at the first sign of drainage, but it is perfectly normal and we're doing all the right things in caring for it.

PHEW!  What a relief!  He didn't even make any comments about being gun-shy -   He was patient, explained what he did during surgery, where the infection was, what we can expect the healing process to be, and I'm convinced.  No promises about not panicking again, but my confidence is restored again, and I am so relieved.

I'm kinda sorry to be taking you all on this thrill ride with me (are you as tired as I am from the ups and downs???).  I will do my best to stay as calm as i can and take some deep breaths!!!! (But I'm sure glad you've all been there for the ride!!!)

Kathy

lori67

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 08:10:16 pm »
Kathy -

I'm glad all is well!  I'm also glad you were ready to give him heck if it wasn't!   ;)

Better safe than sorry - I'm glad you got it checked out and know that you're healing is headed in the right direction!

Phew....
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2009, 11:13:13 pm »
You may make decisions about me, too, Steve.  I think it is time

Hmm...done, not done...done, not done...Done!  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2009, 05:28:44 am »
Kathy,

I'm glad to hear the infection is gone and things are  looking up.  Your neurosurgeon sounds grea,t as he should be.  Most docs realize how stressful these things are to us and will try to make us feel as informed and comfortable as we need to be.  A positive attitude is an important ingredient in healing.  I didn't have a post-op infection but my incision leaked serous and liquified fat for two months.  Once I was assured it wasn't an infection, I felt better but it was bothersome and kept me on my toes.   Like you, I was unique, I don't remember  the statistics, but this doesn't very often.   I hope the rest of your recovery is uneventful.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

moe

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2009, 08:43:02 am »

great news, Kathy
Don't worry about over reacting. It is what we women do!
We are totally in tune to our bodies.
Enjoy your day  :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

texsooner

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2009, 09:04:23 am »
Kathy,

I've been following your trials and tribulations with the infections and 2nd surgery. Finally glad to hear all is heading in the right direction for you. That was a good idea to disclose to all who are reading(especially newbies) about your issues being in the small minority regarding AN recovery.

You've certainly been through more than your fair share of issues, but you obviously have had the inner strength and good attitude to emerge in good shape. Hope all is on the boring side(medically speaking) going forward for you.

Patrick
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:06:05 am by texsooner »
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2009, 11:06:23 am »
Thanks, Patrick!  I would love to take credit for my sensitivity, but I can't.  A very wise forumite pm'd me some words of advice and mentioned her own personal experience that she has not posted for fear that many would become overly concerned for their own health, even though the chances were extremely remote that it would not happen to them.

She knows who she is and I just love her for her counsel and example.  That's why I mentioned the fact that I'm the lucky 1% of patients.  I think it has been easy for me to get wrapped up and consumed with my own issues, that it was easy to forget about those are reading and learning and worrying about their own situations. 

I have learned so much from the people here and I am a better person than before my AN diagnosis.  I'd rather have learned things a different way, but I'll take this lesson appreciatively!!!!

Kathy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2009, 12:38:43 pm »
Kathy -

nothing like a great doc to give you a good dose of confidence.  I know that from experience  ;)

Glad things are working out for you - you've certainly been through a lot since your surgery  :P

I'm with Steve - you're done.  Do you hear me??? Done!!!   :D  :D  :D LOL

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways