Author Topic: Update - 2nd infection...  (Read 13710 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Update - 2nd infection...
« on: March 09, 2009, 06:27:33 pm »
Well, I'm back from Cincinnati sitting at home, waiting.....  I went to the neurosurgeon today after finding infection for the 2nd time at my incision.  Between the time we discovered the infection and the dr. appt today, I've developed a urinary tract infection and have had severe pain in my lower abdomen (a pain that only vicodin could help).  So, I shared all these wonderful updates with the neurosurgeon and here's what he says:

The infection is most likely in the skull - that's why it keeps coming back, so I need surgery to remove a small piece of it, debride the wound to clean it up, and I should be good to go.  Approx a 1 hour surgery, home the next day.

BUT....he won't do it until we know what is the cause of this abdominal pain, because it is not related to the urinary tract infection (or the AN).

So...I have an appt with my family doctor tomorrow and ask him for a CT scan of my abdomen, as my neurosurgeon suggests.  It could also be gynecological since I've always had issues, especially on the lower left side, which is close to where the pain is now - and of course, I can't get into his office until late March.  Hopefully, the family doctor can figure this out.  My neurosurgeon does not think each of these things are related.  If that is true, I guess I'm just lucky with timing.

Geez....I am really weary of the AN road to recovery.  I think that all other issues should be on hold until I'm recovered from the AN surgery!!!! 

More later as I find out what's next!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
Re: Update - 2nd infection...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:44:43 pm »
Hi Kathy,
You sure are lucky, with timing!!  It does make sense, to find out what the pain in your abdomen is, before he operates.  It could be something that might have to be done right away.  Just guessing.  We will pray that it isn't anything that requires a "knife"! 
I agree, you have enough, just healing from your AN to think about other things.
I also had to have 2 surgeries for my AN.  As you can see at the bottom, I was home 3 days, then had a spinal fluid leak from my nose, and they had to operate the next morning on BOTH my incision behind my ear, and my stomach!  I really didn't want them to touch my previous incision, since it was so new.
So, I know how you feel.  At least you know you would be home again the next day.
I'm so sorry to hear all that you are going thru.
I pray they find out soon what is going on......and then you will be DONE with hospitals and doctors! ;)
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:56:09 pm »
Kathy -

as my father always tells me, this is "just another bump in the road"  ::)

But, like I always remind him, I've run into some fairly large bumps in my life.  Are you sure we're not related?  ;)  :D

Please keep us updated on your "condition". 

In the meantime, keep your chin up; it will all work out.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:48:16 pm »
Kathy,
Well, at least there's a plan.  I hope all is resolved soon for you, you have been through enough. 
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 11:28:44 pm »

Hi Kathy,

I'm so sorry you have to go through all this especially facing another operation.  I hope your docs get the answer as to what is causing your abdominal pain sooner than later.  I also hope this is resolved soon for you -- you've been through quite enough.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 06:23:37 am »
Sorry, Kathy.  Can I say the old cliche, (sometimes) when it rains, it pours?  Do hope they can get to the bottom of your abdomen pain soon so that you can move on with taking care of your infection problems.

Keep us updated,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 11:02:16 am »
Ugh!  Sorry about this mess, Kathy!  The timing stinks with the AN recovery!  I'm with others hoping and praying they find the answers soon!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

lori67

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:06:29 am »
Kathy,

I would think under the circumstances they could push you to the head of the line for an appointment before the end of March!  That's crazy.  I hope your family doc can get the ball rolling a little quicker.

And no more medical adventures after this okay?  ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:39:15 am »
I love you all!  And I love the term "adventures"!  Sounds like a book or movie in the making.  I'll do my best to make this next scene of the adventure movie the last one!

BTW, I saw my family doctor today and he thinks it is gynocological - no symptoms to worry about digestive or intestinal issues (or other organs down there!).  So, the OB/GYN appt is Wed 3/11 at 10:00.  I'm crossing my fingers that he knows what it is. 

Take care!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:52:42 pm »
Kathy~
I hope you get some answers tomorrow!  I'll keep you in my prayers, OK?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 06:50:11 pm »
You do sound like you have had your hands full!  Good luck tomorrow.  I hope they can get you firmly on the road to recovery.  My sympathies are with you. Two weeks after I got the PICC line out, I got hives from the Diamox.  I no sooner got that cleared up when I got a UTI.  Yep....the gift that keeps on giving!  You just have to laugh to keep your sanity.   :D
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 01:21:33 pm »
Kathy,

I was afflicted with a UTI just after they pulled the catheter out of me before moving me out of the ICU. Catheters are one the easiest ways to contract a UTI. They are also one of the ways to invite a MRSA infection. Beware of this. Have you been tested for MRSA?

I know that I contracted MRSA while in the hospital and was quarantined in a private room because of it. I carried it around for over two years before finally being prescribed an antibiotic ointment, "Mupirocin", that took it out.

I was never affected by the MRSA because my immune system had always been in good shape.

I was also fortunate that I hadn't contacted Meningitis from the two shunt surgeries I had that exposed my cerebral spinal fluid. I remember one day a young resident doctor came in my room and said that he wanted to take a sample of my C.S.F.. He punctured the balloon-like pump that sits on the crown of my forehead under the skin
with a needle. I sat there dumbfounded as this deep brown liquid that resembled soy sauce streamed down my face in rivulets. It still doesn't make any sense to me.

"I wanna check your oil". And that's exactly what it looked like!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 05:36:57 pm »
Wow - I am always amazed at the unbelievable journeys you all have been on and here you are, helping and cheering me on!! 

Today, (Thursday), will be my 4th day pain free (no abdominal pain at ALL) and no fever.  This is so strange.  About a year ago, I had a bout with irritable bowel syndrome that I didn't even think about (guess all in can think about is the infection these days), so after reading a LOT about IBS from reputable sources online, it sounds strangely familiar with what I experienced last weekend.  Seems to me that if I had an acute abdominable condition and needed immediate attention, I would have on-going symptoms.  At least that makes sense to me.  So, the ultrasound at the OB/GYN tomorrow and we'll go from there!

I'm also formulating my list of questions for my neurosurgeon when I call him tomorrow with the latest update on the abdominal pain -Sure wish I'd thought to ask him these questions when I was in the office on Monday!!!

Thanks again, for all of your support!!!

Kathy

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 10:23:53 pm »
Can we say "YEA" for no pain?? Good luck tomorrow!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 11:08:00 am »
Kathy ~

I've 'silently' followed this thread recounting your medical 'adventures' but had nothing substantive to add.  Unfortunately, I still don't, but I just wanted to offer my wishes for an end to your medical issues and a return to normalcy.  I think you've 'earned' it by now.  Stay strong and know that many folks you've never met in person care about you and are hoping and praying that these problems you're dealing with will be resolved, soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.