Author Topic: Dental Issues?  (Read 13664 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Dental Issues?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 08:13:00 pm »
I was going to say, Brenda, and forgot to mention that I hope I didn't jinx you with this Dental Issue topic!  Don't want to be the cause of any tooth problems.   ;)

I had my problem fixed today.  I hope it's fixed.  I had some infection in the bone. Ugh.  Now we'll see how it gets along, especially since I take Fosamax (generic) and that can rarely cause problems in the jaws/mouth.  He says it's rare, but I thought - "Yeah, so are AN's!"  Anyway, he just noticed that the lip on the AN side is more chapped than the other side, so to make sure I keep an eye on that and use whatever to keep them moist.  That's about it. 

Hang tough, everyone.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 08:52:41 pm »
Too funny, Sue!  Don't think you were the cause, but I got a shocker when I visited my dentist.  I didn't just have one tooth break I had eight!!  I didn't know about them because I have no feeling in that part of my mouth.  I have too much saliva!!  I sure hope my dental plan is gonna cover some of this.  I have no idea what the plan is for getting my teeth into shape, but I'm sure it will send the dentists kid to college.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 09:23:14 am »
Thought I'd add my two cents worth, since I had several months of very bad pain on my AN side recently.  After seeing several doctors and my dentist (who ruled out any cavities), everyone finally agreed that it must be TMJ.  I started having the pain within a month or so of my translab surgery and it just kept escalating.  It felt like a bad tooth and caused my whole jaw and neck to hurt.  I finally got fitted for a lower night guard (I had worn an upper for years for bruxism, teeth clenching) but it was no longer doing any good.  The lower guard has been a little weird to get used to, but it is working really well and almost ALL of the pain is totally gone.

My dentist and ENT believe that the facial paralysis triggered severe TMJD in my case.  Not being able to chew on that side, nor being able to move my face in a normal way for months caused my whole jaw to get out of alignment.  The only downside of the night guard is that I can't close my jaw and since I am having some muscle spasms in my cheek and lip now, I can't close the AN side of my mouth at night so it gets very dry.  I slather on lip salve at night and keep water next to the bed, but I still wake up with dry lips and mouth.  No pain, though, and that's a blessing!

By the way, if you have facial paralysis, it is good to try to chew on that side, but VERY bad to chew gum as that can cause synkinesis!

Acoustic Neuroma - the gift that keeps on giving...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

kmancini

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 01:50:29 pm »
I thought it was my imagination that I broke two teeth within two weeks and am having problem with another tooth.    Now I have to get two crowns plus still paying medical bills.  So glad 2008 is over
.  I wondered if there was a conection between AN surgery and my teeth.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 04:56:28 pm »
Oh Brenda, and everyone else with these bad dental problems....you have my profound sympathy. 

Debbi, you said it girl - The gift that keeps on giving.  Can't we send some of this stuff back, or get a refund or just a gift card?  Enough already!!

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

LADavid

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 08:44:29 pm »
Just had a dentist appointment today.  One cracked crown, one broken tooth, a needed root canal -- all on the AN side.

And the fun just keeps coming.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 09:34:49 pm »
I had a root canal last summer, David. Yup, on the AN side, upper jaw. I have to say, after all the hype about root canal, it was a pretty easy procedure, and I felt better afterwards. Until the bill came, of course.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LADavid

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 09:44:00 pm »
I agree, Steve.  The bill seems to be the most painful side of a root canal.  Novacane doesn't seem to ease that.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 09:56:15 pm »
...and the laughing gas doesn't keep you laughing while writing the check...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 10:11:46 pm »
I had a root canal on the facial neuroma side 2 months after surgery.  My molars on that side still ache, especially when I'm trying to sleep.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 07:26:28 pm »
I have very sensitive teeth, the dentist can't find anything wrong.  I am thinking I will have my two back molars pulled as I can't stand it but not sure it will stop with that.  I also feel like I have tin foil in mouth daily.  Don't know what to do next, and I am in W & W.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 07:40:09 pm »
The metal taste in your mouth is fairly common, sad to say, with AN patients.  This is a nerve thing and it may ease up over time, as the nerve heals.  I have more of a constant salty taste in my mouth.  I can't imagine a dentist would pull out healthy teeth, but then, what do I know?  If it's that uncomfortable, I guess you'd do anything to ease that.  I hope you find some relief. 

Sue in Vancouver. USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

mk

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 08:57:14 am »
I have very sensitive teeth, the dentist can't find anything wrong.  I am thinking I will have my two back molars pulled as I can't stand it but not sure it will stop with that.  I also feel like I have tin foil in mouth daily.  Don't know what to do next, and I am in W & W.

This may a bit off topic, but recently I also developed sensitivity in my teeth (on the non AN side - so this is not AN related). I thought it was an old filling that needed fixing, but my dentist said that it is normal for teeth and gum develop sensitivity over time. Sometimes it is due to the unconscious "clenching" of the teeth, which can be stress related. He recommended to avoid clenching of my teeth and use toothpaste for "sensitive" teeth. It has a special compound that "coats" their surface and over time reduces sensitivity. You must use it regularly though, and it takes a few weeks to feel the results. It really worked for me. Maybe you should try it before doing anything as drastic as pulling out teet.
As for the "tin foil" or metallic feeling, Sue is right that it is a nerve thing and unfortunately there is not much you can do about it. I avoided very salty and sweet foods for many months,  because they triggered the bad taste. At least this promotes some healthy habits!

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 04:47:21 pm »

I had only one filling and i didn't get that until I was 16 then when It got to about 6 months post op I went for a check up and i needed 2 fillings Arrrrrrrr! I thought how can that be, I've always looked after my teeth, but with the facial paralasis I can't brush aswell as I should so I go every 3 Months for a good clean and I now use a electric tooth brush which I find really helps keep my teeth clean plus I brush after every meal too.
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.