Author Topic: Husband Newly Diagnosed with very large tumor  (Read 13356 times)

Vivian B.

Re: Husband Newly Diagnosed with very large tumor
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 09:00:44 am »
Hi There,

Quite alarming, but not impossible to remove. It may very well be in mm. I would definitely have a second opinion and ask for the actual pictures so you can also see it for yourself.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

GRACE1

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 09:19:46 am »
What a relief to find out the correct size.

Good luck with telling your husband.

Take care,
Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 02:16:42 pm »
So it's really 12x11x12mm or 1.2cm.

sbrn ~

Well, that's more like it!  Of course, no one wants an acoustic neuroma diagnosis but at least the size is quite manageable.  As previous posters have indicated, your husband has options.  Observation ('Watch-and-Wait') is one of them, along with some form of radiation (if feasible) or surgery.   I would suggest you (honestly) characterize the AN as a benign tumor (non-malignant) and stress that it is treatable - or, possibly, will simply remain stable (stop growing) over time.  We'll leave the details up to you.  The fact that you're a nurse should assure your husband has full confidence in your advice on medical matters, especially when you're presenting him with facts.  I look forward to reading the next chapter in your husbands 'AN journey'.   

Jim   

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 09:17:32 pm »
An acoustic neuroma of 1.2 cm is considered medium.....

Hi Jan and all.... actually, AN's deemed smaller than 1.5mm is deemed "small"

Thanks for correcting me Phyl, but now I have to correct you  :)

I think your post should have said "AN's deemed smaller than 1.5 CM"  -  at the time of my diagnosis my AN measurered 1.5 cm and I was told it was medium.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 03:58:50 am »
An acoustic neuroma of 1.2 cm is considered medium.....

Hi Jan and all.... actually, AN's deemed smaller than 1.5mm is deemed "small"

Thanks for correcting me Phyl, but now I have to correct you  :)

I think your post should have said "AN's deemed smaller than 1.5 CM"  -  at the time of my diagnosis my AN measurered 1.5 cm and I was told it was medium.

Jan
I'm busted... if you look at the time I wrote that (6:00am EST), you will see the coffee hadn't kicked in yet. I stand corrected!   Yes, I put that in writing! Thanks for fixing my boo-boo! :)
xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Lizard

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 09:06:51 am »
Well I just caught this thread and I'm happy that you were able to get the size corrected...I can't imagine a 12CM AN!!!!
Keep us posted on your husbands journey and we are here to help, so please get him to log in and look around  :)
Take care,
Liz

Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

nanramone

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 09:36:39 am »
Jan and Phyl - now I'm jumping in....my AN was 2.3 on May 17, and Dr. Lunsford called it "small".

What's in a word?   ;)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 09:56:10 am »
What ever you do, don't trust the Military Doc's. I went to an Air Force Doctor in the early 80's when I lost my hearing. Same explanation was given...noise from the jets, loud music etc. My AN was nearly 5x5cm when I had surgery last July to remove it.  Proceed with extreme caution when dealing within the military system...they're overwhelmed, underfunded and not expert in the AN field.

Best of Luck to your Husband.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

moe

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 09:31:42 pm »

Proceed with extreme caution when dealing within the military system...they're overwhelmed, underfunded and not expert in the AN field.

Hey I take offense to that comment! It depends on the military instillation of course, and my husband is a navy doc, so of course I'm partial ;D

Looks like sbrn has found a physician that takes tricare, so all will be well. BUT I had an excellent military surgeon who trained at HEI, and Madigan Army Med Ctr in Tacoma is a very good, well respected hospital with excellent surgeons and doctors
(okay got that off my chest!)

And as I recall in my case, my ENT who never called me with my MRI results was a civilian ENT! So ya just never know.

Anyway, back on topic. Good luck with your research!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Doc

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 09:45:22 am »
Sorry to push your buttons there Moe. I stand by my comments. That was my experience over a twenty year career...underwhelming at its best. I can't even think of anything nice to say about the Dentists I encountered over the years...oh wait...the suckers were good!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 01:19:24 pm »
Maureen/Doc ~

I realize that each of you are simply stating your personal experiences with military medical personnel and facilities but I believe that whether its military or civilian doctors/personnel/facilities, there are good and not-so-good.  In my four years of being a member of this website/forums, I've read many 'horror stories' about insensitive civilian doctors, their unhelpful office personnel and surly hospital staffs.  I've also read many very positive accounts of caring doctors, helpful office personnel and cheerful, efficient hospital staffs.  Same with the military folks, who, to be honest, are only lightly represented in these forums.  That leads me to the conclusion that your level of care is always going to vary, no matter if it's military or civilian.  The tough part for military personnel and their families is that, usually, the 'military option' is the only one readily available, making it difficult when the doctors, dentists, etc. are less than top-notch and efficient.  This is one facet of the difficulty I believe a nationalized health care system is going to impose on Americans.  However, that is a separate issue for another thread on another forum.  I'm just saying.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 09:06:39 am »
So true, Jim!
Sorry you had bad luck with your military experience, doc :(
Basically gotta be informed and be your own advocate wherever you are, eh?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Doc

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 09:29:34 am »
Mr. Scott proves once again he's the smartest guy on the Forum...I sure think so. Thanks for your timely input Jim. No sweat Moe! I'm just glad the Doctor's that tended to my AN were on the ball. My experience with Military Doctor's wasn't all bad, just not what one would expect. I still find hurried care scary, regardless of the source!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 04:40:18 pm »
Wonders when Phyl's gonna whip out the ol' "Get back on topic" stick! lol
:)
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 07:19:40 pm »
Wonders when Phyl's gonna whip out the ol' "Get back on topic" stick! lol
:)

NOW! ;)

Ok, folks...... ahem.....

Back on topic! And its a whip, not a stick!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"