Author Topic: regrowth???? so lost right now  (Read 13727 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: regrowth???? so lost right now
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 03:24:00 am »
HI Jo,
  Chiming in late here, so sorry you are having to deal with the shock of this all over again.  I was told in July I had regrowth after 5 years.  My AN was supposedly removed totally via Mid fossa, yet it decided to rear it's ugly head again anyway. I have been on an emotional rollercoaster ever since. I have had surgery scheduled 3x and changed it.  Just can't bring myself to going through with it yet.  I researched the CK,GK, and Novalis Would love to go that route and avoid surgery, but I have major balance issues and the surgeons feel  the removal of the hearing nerve and a little piece of the balance nerve left on the hearing nerve will likely improve my balance.   It's still small (5mm) so guess that's why I feel I can keep procrastinating.
  My heart goes out to you, as I feel your struggle.........  I have a trip planed for April, trying to decide if I should wait that long or not. if I do it before, I may not get to go if recovery takes as long as it did the first time.

Hang in there
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

tenai98

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 06:21:44 am »
Anissa
MRI report states residual of 16mm or 1.6cm
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

suboo73

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 06:40:09 am »
Jo,

Have read this thread and am SO SORRY this is happening to you!
But, as others have said, your spirit and determination will see you through, along with ALL the prayers coming from the Forum.
Since i am not personally familiar AN surgery (other than what i read on the Forum), do the surgeons measure the piece they 'leave in' to preserve facial nerve, hearing, etc?  I am thinking they can only 'guess' at the amount left there, based on the way it is attached to the nerve.

I am thinking of you, and KNOW you will get through this. 
How is grandbaby doing?  We have had other recent health issues/situations in my family that supersedes the AN too. 

My prayers go out to you - Nov. 30th needs to come now!
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2009, 09:40:56 am »
Jo -

best of luck on the 30th.

I'll be thinking about you and praying for good results.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ghenier27

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2009, 11:15:49 am »
Oddly enough, I met a woman from Georgia on November 17th st Shands Hosptial who after surgery - her tumor came back. She optioned to have surgery the second time. And she did wonderful. I had to get the whole story and it goes something like. She had the orginal AN removed 6 years ago. She did wonderful and really had no problems what so ever. After her first year anviersity of her MRI. They told her to come back in 2 years for another MRI and she did. It was clear too. The doctor then told to come back in 3 years and that is when they discover again AN on the same left side but not in the same location. And it was larger than the first AN was. I have to say, I was a little freaked. But after chatting with her for about an hour, I couldn't believe how well the women in her late 60's was! And I was thinking how she had gone threw what I did - twice. Lucky, by the time I saw Dr. Lewis, I asked him if I could get yearly MRI's, he told me that is what they do these days and after 6 years of cleared MRI's I would be considered cured.

tchrlady

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 11:08:36 pm »
I read your post and truly feel for you.  Right now I am torn about calling my neurosurgeon to have a checkup, as I suspect my acoustic neuroma may be growing back.  My surgery was in 1991. Except for deafness in my left ear, and very loud tinnitus, the surgery was very successful . . . until now.  For the past 6 months I have noticed balance problems, increased tinnitus, headaches, slight slurring of words, and very mild numbness on the left side of my tongue.  Reading your post, however, was enlightening since I had no idea that there were so many more options available now for the removal of neuromas.  It is inevitable that I must go and get this checked, as I cannot continue to "play ostrich."  I wish you luck in your quest to find the right treatment, and sincerely hope everything goes well for you.

Ronni
surgery in 1991
Valley Hospital, Ridgewood, NJ
Neurosurgeon: Dr. Hamilton Goulart

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 10:45:57 am »
I can't even imagine.
I'm wishing you the best of luck and every other good vibe I can find is pointed to you.

Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 10:51:06 am »
Jo,
Fingers crossed here.  Hoping it's a massive typo!!!!!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

wcrimi

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 06:47:38 pm »
Best of luck tomorrow. Wayne
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 07:00:59 pm »
Good luck tomorrow Jo!  Thinking of you, and hoping you get all the answers you need for clarity.

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

cindyj

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2009, 08:22:24 pm »
We'll all be very anxious to know what your doc says tomorrow, Jo...hope like Nancy said, that it's some sort of bizarre mistake...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

tenai98

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2009, 06:36:59 am »
well today is the big day....didnt sleep well last night. so in roughly four hours I will have my answers...Here's hoping for the best!!!
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2009, 07:43:13 am »
Fingers and toes crossed.
You were my pioneer, heading into the unknown the day before I did, so hate to see you hit a rough spot.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 07:46:11 am »
And here are some more best wishes, crossed fingers and toes.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Keri

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 12:35:10 pm »
Hi Jo,
I hope you get good news too. Thanks for letting us know.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!