Author Topic: Congratulations, Kris!  (Read 3840 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Congratulations, Kris!
« on: December 07, 2010, 11:31:57 pm »
Just wanted to publically say congratulations to Kris (ksiwek).  Today was her BAHA Gotcha Day!!!  ;D

As most of you know, Kris has been through so much in the past year and I'm just so thrilled that she's now hearing better.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ksiwek

Re: Congratulations, Kris!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:19:11 pm »
Thanks Jan!

It was a moment that brought me to tears...It is SO AMAZING to hear sounds from my AN side again. 

I didn't post about this (because I wanted to see how it would play out), but I was scheduled to have revision surgery on my BAHA site.  On the top side of my abutment, the skin had grown up too high.  This would have prevented me from attaching my sound processor.  As fate would have it, the site somehow self-corrected enough for me to get the processor on and without issue.  So I got to cancel my surgery set for 12/23.  I was shaking during this appt and fitting on Tuesday I was so excited!  I didn't expect to get my processor at all on Tuesday...it was really an appt for my doc to assess the site again for my revision surgery.  Getting my BAHA fitted instead blew me away.  It was my Christmas miracle...I was really ready for this good news.

I am amazed with my BAHA.  It was worth the journey.  I am constantly smiling to myself over the excitement of picking up sounds and conversations.  I feel like I am gaining so much back.  I told my husband I wanted to just go out and about to hear stuff   ;D 

In other awesome news, my insurance company called yesterday to tell me that they are now paying for the remaining $23,000 of my AN surgery bill.  Yes, things are looking up again.

This holiday season I have much news to be thankful for:  a good MRI, my BAHA, an extra 23k in my pocket and no revision surgery...This holiday season I am celebrating my health, my sweet baby boy, my husband and all of our friends and family....I am looking forward to 2011 with renewed optimism.  Happy Holidays everyone!

Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:36:41 pm »
It sounds like you will be celebrating this holiday season with great appreciation and the realization that you got through this AN ordeal and can  :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 07:30:09 am »
Kris-
Sounds so wonderful on all fronts! Enjoy - you certainly deserve it!
;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 08:14:39 am »
Oh, Kris .....

What indescribable joy!  In many ways we all have kind of walked this journey with you .....  Life is good indeed!!  Congratulations on these recent events!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 08:57:54 am »
Kris,
I'd say Santa has been VERY good to you this year! ;D So excited for you. It all works out in the end, just gotta keep the faith.
I "hear" your excitement! Continued luck in 2011.
I too have recently had my BAHA activated and it is indeed amazing to hear when I plug my "good" ear. It is helping a tad with my tinnitus too, so I'm hoping to get it reprogrammed in the new year to see if it can help muffle the tinnitus even more.
Congrats again and enjoy all your blessings this Christmas!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 02:58:50 pm »
Kris ~

Wow!  Great news all around.  You're having a happy holiday, squared.  Congratulations!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:57:21 pm »
Yay to you Kris!!!!
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 07:49:16 am »
Kris

Merry Christmas and enjoy ALL of the sounds of this wonderful season!

Best of Luck

TJ

Mark241

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:38:54 am »
Yeah!! Great news!  :D
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

ombrerose4

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 12:12:01 pm »
Congratulations on your Baha and wishing you and your family a healthy, happy, less complicated New Year!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 11:42:36 pm »
What great news for you, Kris!.  It's very exciting.  What a wonderful end to the year for you!  Congratulations!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego