Author Topic: Has anyone had CK in Syracuse New York???  (Read 2226 times)

tenai98

Has anyone had CK in Syracuse New York???
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:30:46 pm »
If I decide to go with CK the closest area to me would be Syracuse NY...About a 5 hour drive...CK treatments as far as I know is not available in Canada....And if you have been following my posts, you know my ENT tried to discourage me from BAHA and he had no clue as to CK treatment...AT this point I'm leaning towards surgery, but that could change as at first I was dead set against it after reading all the horror stories of post op problems....The saga continues.....stay tuned

JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

JerseyGirl2

Re: Has anyone had CK in Syracuse New York???
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:10:55 pm »
Hi,

Surgery does not always result in horror stories. I think you'll find many success stories on this forum, in addition to information from folks who are dealing with their post-treatment issues in very positive, pro-active, and innovative ways. I have a feeling that many people for whom the treatment (either surgery or radiation) was relatively routine (to the extent that treatment involving one's brain can be considered routine --- maybe "textbook" is a better term!) may not be particularly motivated to post on this forum. And there are many exceptions to that as well!

JerseyGirl2
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:14:43 pm »
that is what I meant when I said that at first I was against surgery but now I'm all for it but still at my options with radiation.... ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 02:38:35 pm »
As JerseyGirl2 said, surgery doesn't always result in horror stories.  And some of the stories you might consider to be "horror stories" actually have very happy endings.  Life is what you make of it  :)

I'm not advocating surgery; nor am I advocating radiation.  You need to make the choice that is best for YOU - after you've done your research, of course.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 02:40:05 pm »
You are correct there is no CK in Canada, however there are three (I believe) GK centres, the closest one being in Toronto, at the Western Toronto Hospital. You may want to book a consultation with them too. Their turnaround times are usually good.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.