Author Topic: Radiation and Menopause  (Read 2612 times)

Melissa778

Radiation and Menopause
« on: June 03, 2009, 07:47:58 am »
I'm curious to know if anyone has any info or has experienced any hormonal or menopause issues since having Gamma Knife, or if Gamma Knife can bring on such issues like other types of Radiation do.....

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Joey

• Change could be right around the corner.
Re: Radiation and Menopause
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:52:12 pm »
Melissa - my honest answer is "no".  Had GK little over 6 months ago, so perhaps things aren't totally hitting me yet, but I like to say I'm doing well.  I'm 47, had a hysterectomy 2 years ago, but lucky me still "cycles", and not always on 2 wheels.  It's kind of a joke at my house that they maybe just did a manicure or something on me while I was under.  Historically, my mom had my younger brother when she was 45, so I may just have awhile to go. 

On a more positive note, my left ear (AN side) popped while I was driving home from work yesterday.  I just wanted to share with someone; could hear almost normally for a couple of hours, what a kick that was, having a break from the airplane ear.  I've been riding the bike, walking twice a day and overall feeling better than I have in awhile.   For what it's worth, Joey
Left sided AN.  GK over and done with at Mayo Clinic on
10-2-08; according to Dr. Link, AN measured 15 mm in greatest posterior fossa diameter; used 11 isocenters of radiation to cover tumor volume of 2.3 cm3.  Follow up on 4-14-09 indicated necrosis, no change in tumor size and less hearing, darn

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 12:56:04 pm »
Hey Joey

I know that "ear pop". Truly is great to have it happen and let's hope "airplane ear" is now gone!   :)

Hi Melissa,
I have to agree with Joey.  CK over 3 yrs ago... and yes *glares at everyone that may read this*.... I'm in mental-pause start as well. Have not found any correllation to my radiation treatment or the female *coff* fun.  Keeping in mind that the AN radio-treatments that are being done today (ie: CK, GK, Trilogy, etc) are a highly targeted beam and really should not have any affect other than to the AN and possible surrounding structures (ie: brainstem, etc).

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Betsy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:36:15 am »
Melissa, I wondered about that too.  I was "on the verge" when I was treated, and I'm choosing to think that being in that state made my brain booger more susceptible to radiation.  It sure didn't speed up the process any!

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

goinbatty

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 05:09:46 pm »
Well I have to admit, I'm in the throws of that lovely stage of life.  I'm 48 so likely have a good ways to go.  I don't see that radiation has played into this at all.  I'm having the typical symptoms of premenopause - memory issues, weight gain, hair loss, etc.  Oh and let's not forget the wicked mood mess.  I've told my family to not take anything personally.  This too shall pass.  Just a matter of when.  I've taken to doing loads of yard work which is therapeutic.  Exercise boosts the serotonin levels bringing on calm or at least that's what I've been told.  I just try to find some humor in it although sometimes that can be a little difficult. 
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

mellowrama

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:49:01 am »
After I had ck treatment my doc told me that I was peri-menopausal, at 43.  After 2  years the symtoms went away.  I then asked my new neurologist if it could have been a factor and she said definitly yes...
m
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011