Author Topic: Three weeks out from surgery  (Read 1393 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Three weeks out from surgery
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:02:11 pm »
 Happy New Year to all!

I am three weeks post-op today, and it has been slow but steady.  There were no major complications, I quit taking all pain meds three days after I got home, and Excedrin will usually take care of my daily minor headache.  Sleeping at night is an issue, but the dr. gave me some Ambien and that does the trick.  Still not much of an appetite, but food does taste good.  Just not very hungry most of the time.  My incision pulled open the day after I got my stitches out, and over the next three or four days the gap got pretty ucky looking. I ended up calling a dr. at 10 at night to see if an antibiotic needed to be called in.  Whoever was on call said that as long as it wasn't swollen, hot, or painful, it was probably ok.  MY dr. called me the next day and told me to come in.  He was afraid I was leaking CSF, but it turned out to be just an ugly healing process.  So I am good to go as long as I keep it clean and treated with Bacitracin.  :)

My energy level is ok for about three days, and then I spend a day in my pajamas, feeling useless.  I can tell when I need to stop because I start feeling shaky.  In the big picture, I am doing really well and I am VERY grateful that I haven't had all the usual post-op issues because mine was only a meningioma. Never thought I would say "only a meningioma!"  :D

As we go into the New Year, my prayers are with all of you who are facing or recovering from treatment.  There are concerns before treatment and there are various issues to deal with after treatment. Stay strong and stay in touch !

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

carter

Re: Three weeks out from surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:10:23 pm »
a thank you for the positive post!!!!   i have ck coming very soon and am as nerveous as a cat in a room of rocking chairs.   

again thanks

carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 12:28:06 pm »
So glad to hear things are going well for you!  The incision popping open must have been a bit scary, though!  It's certainly ok to take those days of just sitting around in your pj's feeling "useless" - it's not, your body is healing, as you know.

Keep us posted and Happy New Year to you!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:29:57 pm »
Priscilla,

Sorry to hear about the incision opening after stitches got taken out, but glad it turned out to be ok.  I didn't get my appetite back for quite awhile after surgery.  In time, that too will come back.  Overall, you're way ahead in your recovery as it sounds like it's going about as good as it can go.  Take it easy and enjoy being pampered.  Even though "it's only a mengioma", you still had major surgery to remove it.  I'm glad it seems to be going well for you.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:40:01 pm »
Hi, Priscilla:

Great progress!  The one-day-at-a-time approach is always best and it appears as if you're doing that quite well.  Your lack of appetite is not unusual.   I lost 30+ pounds prior to surgery (due to a diminished sense of taste) and never regained it.  Not only did my appetite remain less that it once was, but I realized that I can get along quite nicely without a lot of extra food on my plate or snacks between meals.   

A very good New Year wish to you, too, Priscilla and may your recovery continue unimpeded.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 02:06:55 pm »
Happy New Year Priscilla!

I haven't met a plate of food I didn't like.  The day after surgery I started with regular food for breakfast and didn't look back (mostly because the food was in front of me).  I think I'm at home at the wrong time of year.  Too many snacks and too much high calorie food around. 

Glad to hear everything is going well for you.  Keep it up!

Cheers

Ken
Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 04:14:31 pm »
Priscilla -

aren't you included in the pictures that Pooter posted of the group that met in Houston recently?

If I'm correct, and it was  you, all I can say is you look fantastic for 3 weeks post op  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 04:50:59 pm »
Jan~
It was her and yes, she looks AMAZING!! 

Priscilla~
Heck, I spent most of the day in my PJ's and it has been a LONG time since my surgery!  "Stay-at-home" days and PJ days are a favorite at out house!!
Happy New Year to you too!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 08:08:37 am »
Priscilla,

Happy New Year!  I think you look amazing and you certainly don't look like you just had "brain" surgery!!  I hope everything continues to go well for you!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT