Author Topic: Wholes in my memory?  (Read 5181 times)

Kit W

• Smokies Spring 2008
Wholes in my memory?
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:31:19 am »
The further along the road I am post op the more aware I have become of just how foggy my memory was leading up to my seizure last Sept. I can only describe it as 'walking around with both eyes almost shut'. And I am now aware that I am having problems remembering some things like which way do I turn out of the sub division to go to a certain place.And even not being able to remember the whole route, just bits of it.

Places my wife tells me I have been to before my op I just simply don't remember at all. These are small wholes in my memory but all the same I have to wonder just how much did the tumour affect my memory. I feel as though I am still climbing out of the fog at times when I'm told I've done something or been somewhere and I have no memory of it.

Kit
Don't let jealousy get a hold of you. If it does it will ruin the rest of your life.

My mind often wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
Do I look like I care!

5cm+ AN removed 9/11/08. Dr Tairq Javed. Kennestone Hospital, Marietta, GA

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Wholes in my memory?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:05:01 pm »
Kit ......

I'm sorry you are having the foggy memory issues.  Please know you are not alone.  Many of us have experienced this, as well.  There have been some excellent threads going on this ..... hopefully someone else will put in the links as I did not readily find them.  It seems to have to do with the amount of energy the brain is putting forth to maintain one's balance and to hear.  In other words it is difficult for the brain to process pulling something from your memory bank when it is spending so much of its resources keeping you upright and trying to understand sounds.

If this is true, then it stands to reason that as our balance gets better, so will our short term memory.  I truly feel my memory is much better now than it was a year ago (I am 17 months post-op.).

I pray that this will be your case, as well.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:31:36 pm »
Kit,
You had one monster of a tumor, and depending on where it was pressing against the brainstem (if it was), heck it could have been squishing other parts of the brain too. :o
I have heard of severe memory side effects. Everyone is different.
May be a case of having to do some memory re-training. Definitely a reason to see the doc to see if they can refer you to .______________ for memory stuff. (who would that be, anybody know?????? ???)
I don't think docs realize the after effects of this type of surgery.
I have the basic, "Oh I can't remember what you just told me" type of thing.
Must be very frustrating and scary too, I would imagine.
Hang in there. THere are LOTS of people even with your same problem.
Hope they can shed some light for you.
Hope the WHOLES (HOLES) get better :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kit W

• Smokies Spring 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 07:27:12 am »
moe,

Yes the tumour was pressing against my brain stem. In fact I still have some membrane left in place by my surgeon because he said that had he tried to remove it the risk was that I would be end up in permanent coma.

During my rehab in hospital they did put me through some memory exercises, to test short term memory I think and nothing appeared to be a problem to them but I was worried at the time that I would have problems. I remember studying hard the day before to make sure I could get through the test. It was on a political story in a news paper on a subject that didn't really grab my interest. Even so normally I could read something and retain the information easily but I was aware that wasn't happening so easily this time.

I also get the "what was that you just said?'" symptom too. One time I did that to my wife Kay and deliberately turn my deaf ear to her. Needless to say I got a friendly slap but she did laugh at what I had done.

Kit
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:33:50 am by Kit W »
Don't let jealousy get a hold of you. If it does it will ruin the rest of your life.

Do I look like I care!

juliec

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:46:57 pm »
I am having memory problems too, but I was told by one of the ENT doctors I saw that it wasn't caused by my tumor. My regular doctor said she wanted to wait until after the tumor was removed (August 13) to see if that had any effect on my memory. Then if I am still having memory problems, we'll do testing. It's weird--I can't memorize songs (I sing), I'll bring up the Internet specifically to look for some information then I can't remember what I was going to look for. Am I understanding correctly that some people had memory problems pre-surgery? My tumor is somewhere between 1.3-1.75 cm and is pressing on the dura near the brain stem according to the MRI. Hopefully the memory comes back post-surgery?
Julie C.
Bloomington, MN
1.8 x 1 cm Middle Fossa surgery Univ of IA 8/13/09

Kit W

• Smokies Spring 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:45:23 pm »
juliec,

I started to have memory problems pre-op and now post-op I've noticed them more. It has been suggested that it may be to do with that fact that mine was pressed quite hard against the brain stem deforming it. However, it has also been suggested that memory can improve the further post surgery I get. Only time will tell I guess. I'm not overly concerned because i have made my wife and step son aware of the problem.

Kit

Do I look like I care!

moe

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 08:04:13 pm »

he said that had he tried to remove it the risk was that I would be end up in permanent coma.

That would NOT have been a good thing, Kit.

So yes, you count your blessings, learn to deal with the side effects, and hopefully your memory will improve.
Since it hasn't quite been a year.
I've always been a little "spacey" and have terrible recollection, before surgery. Have to read things multiple times :( I write lots of notes.
The surgeons said mine had been in there about 5-10 years too long, and would have killed me in another 5-10 years! So I guess I'm doing OK. My brain was also in the shape of a C or maybe a crescent moon/

So now I know what to blame it all on (some genetics too on the memory thing).

Hopefully more responses on the way.
Maureen :)

juliec

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 10:08:27 am »
Thanks, Kit. I found an article that stated memory might get worse after surgery, at least for a while. I found an article on http://www.ananj.org/assets/Nletter%20Sept%202007.pdf and a continuation at http://www.ananj.org/assets/Nletter%20April%202008.pdf.
Julie C.
Bloomington, MN

Kit W

• Smokies Spring 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 03:57:34 pm »
juliec,

Thanks for the links the information has been very helpful.

I've noticed that when someone speaks to me although I hear the words they just simply don't register in my memory at all and I have to ask them to repeat it two or three times before my mind will make sense of what has been said. I guess it must be like talking to a cat or a dog, they can here you but have no idea what it is you are saying to them. That's the best analogy I can come up with.

It's as frustrating for me as it is for whoever is talking to me at the time, usually my wife. But at least she understands my problem and why it is happening now. I just hope this gets better as my brain continues to adjust.

Kit

Do I look like I care!

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 12:07:37 am »
I read books about the brain when I am in the mood, and have read some about memory. The interesting thing is that forming new memories, especially the short term memories that are the intermediate step in forming long term memories, happens by a process that is different from recalling old memories. It is not uncommon to have trouble remembering recent things - even a few moments ago - while being able to recall many things from past years. Different brain chemistry is involved.

I am not able to diagnose anything, but there are encouraging reports that the brain can relearn how to remember things. If you can overcome the frustration and find a way to practice and train yourself, you may be able to improve your memory quite a bit. Assuming your brain isn't too busy trying to figure out how to keep you balanced. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

moe

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 08:26:02 am »
I do agree that you can "retrain" your brain to remember short term things.
I hope and pray that Cheri and Kit are able to benefit from some sort of memory re-training.

So Steve, where do they start???? ;) I actually bought a series of tapes years back on the memory thing. One of those "suckerrrr" buys. It actually helped me little. I didn't get through all the tapes, so it was not worth it.

Might be something to look into, Cheri and Kit. I don't see that docs have any great ideas about the after effects of surgery. They are surgeons.

I cannot imagine the frustration of having conversations, only to wonder if you have had that conversation! :o

I definitely understand about wanting to become a social recluse. Hang in there, keep researching....

Cheri-I sent you a PM
Maureen

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 10:15:35 am »
Cheri,

I often forget mid conversation what I am talking about.  I forget to forward messages to my family.  I even write them down and cannot remember where I put the note pad.  I sometimes cannot remember if I have taken my medication, I have to count what's in the bottle and go from there.  It is very frustrating.  Somedays are just crazy and I kind of loose it because I feel so inadequate. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

juliec

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 10:22:41 am »
Has anyone noticed short-term memory problems before  their surgery? My surgery is August 13, but I've noticed memory problems for the last few years getting worse. I was just diagnosed three months ago.

Julie C.
Bloomington, MN

Cheryl R

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 04:58:51 pm »
I know we asked this question before but I still don't know if have had an answer about which side of surgery can cause more cognitive problems.        I wasn't too bad from the right but can tell a big difference since the last one which was on the left.                 Describing things and even trying to describe an emotional way is much harder.          Can't even phrase this past sentence the way I would like it to be.                Just remembering  a certain word has a problem at times.           
Cheri, your mention of tv being on could be part of the issue for you.        I don't take much noise too well.         I am not a big tv watcher.                  I have liked the Discovery Health and the Mystery Diagnosis though.                          Isn't Oprah going to take that channel over and redo it someway?             I would hate to see it go.   
                                                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 12:17:27 am »
All husbands listen to the TV too loud.  I think it's in their hand book they receive when we marry them!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games