Author Topic: neuro-muscular motor deficiency  (Read 4528 times)

hevreh

neuro-muscular motor deficiency
« on: June 24, 2010, 03:33:18 pm »
Last July 2009, CK treatments went well for 2.0 cm AN (25 gray, 5 treatments x 5 days). Hearing seems preserved but for when ambient noise is present. My particular complaint is neuro-muscular weakness and balance. Have seen different BIDMC docs three times to check me out. Three separate MRIs w/contrast show no significant change in tumor but I can not stand nor walk nor climb up/down stairs easily. I have memory difficulties, aphasia, motor deficiencies and am depressed from the struggles. In February 2010 I was briskly walking three miles. Then suddenly symptoms struck while traveling and they have worsened.

Neuro-ontologists tell me physical therapy will not be useful. Does this make sense? I need to understand the recovery process and explain to those who count on my getting better what I have yet to accept. Any similar experiences or findings? RSVP and gratitudes.

nanramone

Re: neuro-muscular motor deficiency
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:27:14 am »
I started PT and the therapist and neurologist both believe that I will see improvement concerning balance issues, but they said time will tell how much improvement I'll experience. In addition to therapy, I walk many miles per week, and work out at the health club. I will also be joining a yoga group. I'm going to push hard to make myself as strong as possible.

Regarding the confusion and fatigue I feel...well, I really have not addressed this because I think it may be transient. I had a strong negative reaction immediately following GK, which is unusual. I think my system just didn't like it! So hopefully in time, I'll be my regular peppy self. I have really great days, and other days that I feel I'm in a stupor even after 9-10 hours of sleep!

But still, I keep this is perspective. I saw a young man with cerebral palsy struggling at the gym the other day  - he was with a therapist, and they were happy and laughing. Life is good - it's important to remember that things can always be worse, to appreciate the good things, and be happy we're alive. The mental state we're in has much to do with a successful recovery and good quality of life.

Take care, and I hope you can find answers to your problems.

jerseygirl

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:08:40 am »
Hi Hevreh,

I presume that your weakness is one-sided, present on the AN side. I am writing this answer assuming  that this is the case.

Your neuro-oncologists are absolutely wrong: Pt or at-home exercise will help. Maybe, they are just ignorant of the benefits of exercise during the recovery process like a lot of doctors, or they just don't want to write a prescription for PT thus admitting that their treatment led to your problems. I don't know their motivation but I vehemently disagree with their position on exercise.

Let's take your problems one by one:

balance - when neuro-muscular weakness is present, your balance problems have two sources. One is the balance nerve itself which a problem all ANers have, that is one side is missing or disordered balance input which all other people normally have.  The way to solve this is to take vestibular retraining, physical therapy specifically aimed at at restoring your sense of balance. I recommend that you take at least a few sessions, and if this proves to be too expensive , continue at home. Usually, when balance nerve is not working or missing, the body compensates by reading about its position in space from proprioceptive receptors in arms and legs. However, if you have weakness or numbness there, this job becomes more difficult because the overall level of activity is reduced, thus creating a vicious cycle - improve you neuromuscular weakness to improve your balance but you need your balance to improve your weakness. Plus, anybody with one-sided weakness will be thrown off balance even if their balance nerve is perfect. I am just saying that a combination of AN and one-sided weakness spells a very balance for a while!

weakness - the way to improve it is with weights. Anything will do - equipment at the health club or dumbbells and ankle weights at home. The most important thing is to do it regularly 3 times a weak and stick to it. It absolutely works, but you have to do it for months and maybe years. I know I have to do it forever. The moment I stop the exercise, my weakness returns.
    When you are working on the machines at the health club or doing floor exercises at home, you don't tax your balance nearly as much as when you are trying to walk or garden, let's say. So, by doing some sort of weight training, you are actually helping your balance in addition to weakness.

Additional things that improve your balance are Pilates, yoga, walking, gardening and , believe it or not, housework, like bending and picking up things or mopping floors.  ;D Seriously! The last one is cheap and effective and cannot be called a hi-tec solution! I also found that hemiparesis (weakness) creates bad criculation and foot massager is great. I am going to Paris this summer and despite the weight restrictions on the airplanes, I am packing my 5-lb  ankle weights with me first. I plan to do a lot of walking and don't want my leg to give out and start hurting. I am probably the only person in the world who takes the ankle weights with her to Paris but I need them to enjoy my trip.

I know you are worried about what to tell your family. You can tell them to expect to see you tired, less active and needing frequent breaks during your recovery. I honestly believe that this is not forever. Most people recover, even if it takes a few years, and return to a decent functional level. Expect this to take a while and keep a consistent exercise routine along with good diet and good sleep. All the best to you and let us know how it is going.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

nanramone

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:07:47 pm »
wow jerseygirl! I love all that info you provided  -don't mean to highjack this thread, but I believe all you offered is great info. Consider that even if all of us had NO AN, we would all get weaker in time, and need to keep in good shape - i like to see this AN as a wake up call, similar to a previous bone density scan that showed I had alarmingly thin bones at 47 years of age. That started me on an exercise program that led to serious running - I also dramatically changed my diet.

So-  we have balance issues, and so do many old people. We are going to fix a problem earlier than we would probably eventually had to address anyway..is that ok? I think so!

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 06:29:38 am »
Hi, Nanramone,

That is a great way of putting it: a wake-up call! I will remember this  expression and use it if you don't mind.

Aging is no fun. Balance naturally declines with age; there is an almost half of the natural capacity at 45 than at 25. By the time we are   70 years old, unless we train our sense of balance, we stagger in our own houses struggling to walk by ourselves from room to room like any newly operated AN patient!

Proprioceptive receptors in our arms and legs also naturally decline with age. Weight training is very effective at reminding the body where they are and how to use them. Any athlete knows that one has to do a lot more training without weights than with weights, so in their quest to discover how to achieve better results sooner, they discovered this fact. Just about all experts advise adding weight training to one's routine as we age and this has nothing to do with AN!

I am a firm believer in borrowing that knowledge from sports medicine and fitness industry to improve physical incapacities that AN treatment sometimes creates. I also don't think that once one develops an exercise routine, one can stop because if it is not AN-related issues will return in some form then aging will get us.  Happy training!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.