Author Topic: Does this mean they've decided on middle fossa?  (Read 1530 times)

DLM4me

Does this mean they've decided on middle fossa?
« on: March 29, 2009, 02:26:17 pm »
I've mentioned before that nothing had yet been firmed up in terms of WHICH surgical approach I'm going to have, but that I was hoping for middle fossa.  At my one appointment early this month they discussed all three approaches but didn't settle on one.  Well, I received a packet of paperwork in the mail and one item is a "Risks and Complications of Middle Fossa Surgery" sheet.  So should I assume that they've decided on middle fossa?

I'm going to House tomorrow for a pre-op visit with Dr Stefan, so I know I can just ask then.  But I'm curious so I thought I'd post!

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

kathylittlejohncobb

Re: Does this mean they've decided on middle fossa?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:36:05 pm »
Well, since you received that particular paperwork, it does sound like that's what they are planning.   ;)  And that's the one you want!  Wonderful!

Dr. Stefan is the one who does your physical, etc., to determine that you are able to have the surgery; I'm not sure if he knows the exact procedure you will have, but it is likely that he does. 

When I went to my House appointments immediately prior to my surgery date, I discussed two of the methods with Drs. Friedman & Schwartz.  The final decision was not in stone yet, and I, my husband, and the physicians made the decision together, with their agreeing to do the procedure I felt most strongly about having.  They were wonderful from start to finish and with followup since. 

The best of everything to you.  Let us hear from you soon!
Kathy 
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

bell

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:58:53 am »
I think Middle Fosa sounds great,  I think with this surgery you have the best chance of saving your hearing. I had retrosigmoid because tumor was to big for Middle.  Research and the best of luck to you.  Bell

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:50:53 am »
If your hearing is worth saving and the size and location of the AN are "acceptable" for this procedure, it's definitely the way to go.

I wasn't a House patient, so I have no idea what the paperwork means - although it seems to indicate mid fossa. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

DLM4me

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 12:05:42 am »
I had my pre-op visit with Dr Stefan yesterday, and he believes they're doing middle fossa.  YAY!!  That's what I've been hoping for.  I know that even if they don't "sacrifice hearing" in that ear (I hate that term, by the way!), I'm not going to have much hearing because of how much I've lost.  But I really...really...want to save whatever's possible, no matter how little it may be.

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 12:32:46 am »
I think they sent you the sheet on middle fossa because at least part of the decision is yours, and they want you to be informed. So if you have read it and understand it, and want to do middle fossa, it sounds like that is what they will do. I had radiation to preserve partial hearing, and even though it is lame compared to perfect hearing, it is definitely worth having. With the hearing aid, I hear better in conversations, can hear the kettle whistle, pick up the direction of sound, and generally notice my hearing deficit much less.

I hope it all works out for you.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.