Author Topic: D Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MRI TODAY  (Read 48319 times)

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: New Question! Changes in Vision?????
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2012, 08:19:09 am »
Thanks  Crazycat,   
    I am heading out in a few for my pre-op visit with the Anesthesiologist since I am going under General.   My hearing got worse over the weekend and now I have very little left in my left ear.  The roar is so loud I can't get a TV loud enough to over ride it and loud sounds are piercing so no relief for 3 days now.   I had a little break in that roar last week but my hearing never changed until the weekend for the worse.   Weirdest thing I've ever had to deal with.

Ray

Just wanted to say good luck today and my prayers are with you for the MRI and will try to come on the computer at the end of the week...My daughter is having surgery Thursday so this week will be crazy here...Hope all goes well with the MRI and I am sure if it does happen to be a tumor they will notify the doctor that day that is what happened to me I had an appointment a week following the test but the doctor called me a few hours after the test. But every place has a different policy sometimes the hard part is the waiting....Good Luck

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2012, 10:20:17 am »
Ray:

With the barometric pressure change and stress you are going through---you will notice the sound much louder at times in your ear.  (also, the same with the face hurting more, on/off than other times)  I had eye twitching along with the usual symptoms.  (metal taste, difficulty swallowing, half my tongue numb and facial numbness)  The pressure in my head at times and the rolling lines are enough to scare anyone.  The pressure in my head was so bad I'd have to sit down for a while or black-out.  The sound is awful in the ear but, we must live with it.  You have a good support group going on this thread, already.

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

crv1200

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2012, 11:21:00 am »
thanks pjb and Palace!  I found out at the pre-op they put you the table at the MRI machine to put you under... i am like?? really I have to see the machine that makes me have a panic attack and you going to put me under?  good luck! LOL    The only symptom I don't have is the metallic taste in my mouth Palace.  The eye twitches are about 80% of my day now along with all the other stuff... I am have a lot of joking issues when I eat, which I never have been one to joke easily.. I am a singer and I try at all cost NOT to cough always thinking of the stress on the vocal chords but now I can't hardly sing anyway, not just because of my ear and my voice sounds different but my voice is staying hoarse all the time.   I pray NO AN., my followup with the ENT is the 19th but I will have a CD of the images to take to him so I don't know if I will be brave enough to try and look myself or not.

Thanks for the support it helps a lot.

Ray

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2012, 12:15:08 pm »
You must be severely claustrophobic if you need to be sedated for the MRI. I'm very curious to see the results of your scan.

I know it's scary but if it is an AN, you'll go through some stuff but you'll be alright in the end. Take it from us.

If it's any consolation, I too am a musician and can still play.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

crv1200

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2012, 04:32:27 pm »
Crazycat.
   Thanks for the encouragement!  I think I will be fine in the end, right now so much is going on and you know there is adjustments your tries to make to make up for the hearing loss and my voice sounds like someone else right now LOL., I've always been proud of how smooth my singing voice is and that's what I have heard from so many people so to have a raspyness to my voice does not sound right LOL but I will be ok.  I've done enough writing,recording and traveling if I never do it again it's more than most will ever do, but of course I don't think at 52 almost 53 I am ready to retire.
All my physical and everything I am cleared for General Anesthesia., and YES I am severely claustrophobic but they say it is quite common, I could not even take the open MRI I tried that for a few weeks ago because your head is in a helmet type thing,, no no I freaked out.   LOL  It is what it is.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2012, 02:10:36 am »
Hello Ray:

I had a technician who put a folded towel over my eyes as soon as I lay down however, I hadn't ask for it.  Your system is used to Valium so, you would need another sedative if you ever reach the point for your MRI series, where you don't use the general anesthetic. 

You wouldn't like the Cyberknife where they fit you for the facial cage/mask.

Let's hope for the best!

Palace
single sided deafness

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2012, 06:20:28 am »
thanks pjb and Palace!  I found out at the pre-op they put you the table at the MRI machine to put you under... i am like?? really I have to see the machine that makes me have a panic attack and you going to put me under?  good luck! LOL    The only symptom I don't have is the metallic taste in my mouth Palace.  The eye twitches are about 80% of my day now along with all the other stuff... I am have a lot of joking issues when I eat, which I never have been one to joke easily.. I am a singer and I try at all cost NOT to cough always thinking of the stress on the vocal chords but now I can't hardly sing anyway, not just because of my ear and my voice sounds different but my voice is staying hoarse all the time.   I pray NO AN., my followup with the ENT is the 19th but I will have a CD of the images to take to him so I don't know if I will be brave enough to try and look myself or not.

Thanks for the support it helps a lot.

Ray

We are all praying for no AN....and definitely do not look sometimes things are best left to the professionals why add more stress you might think something is there that may not be .. I know it is tough but time does fly as we over 50 know so before you know it your appointment will be here and praying for good news... Rest the voice and the rest of you and you have to find something that will keep you busy. I did not start with all those computer games that people are crazy about but maybe try doing those for a while just to keep you busy....Here if you need to vent and never stop the prayers...

Best Wishes,

crv1200

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2012, 09:02:33 am »
I am thinking trying to look at the images might make me sick LOL., Not sure how I would react but it will be tempting.  My followup is not until the 19th.   I am anxious I cause I feel sick this morning , legs cramped all night., afraid my potassium is low, which they did blood work yesterday and potassium is one thing they checked.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2012, 10:10:57 am »
Hi Ray:

To people who didn't go through all this would think of it as, "over-the-top" drama.  My purpose on this post is to remind you to make sure the gadolinium is used in your MRI so, you won't have to go through that part again.  (metal injection done near the end of the scans, with my experience)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gadolinium (play /ˌɡædɵˈlɪniəm/ GAD-o-LIN-ee-əm) is a chemical element with the symbol Gd and atomic number 64. It is a silvery-white, malleable and ductile rare-earth metal. It is found in nature only in combined (salt) form. Gadolinium was first detected spectroscopically in 1880 by de Marignac who separated its oxide and is credited with its discovery. It is named for gadolinite, one of the minerals in which it was found, in turn named for chemist Johan Gadolin. The metal was isolated by Lecoq de Boisbaudran in 1886.

Gadolinium metal possesses unusual metallurgic properties, with as little as 1% of gadolinium improving the workability and resistance of iron, chromium, and related alloys to high temperatures and oxidation. Gadolinium as a metal or salt has exceptionally high absorption of neutrons and therefore is used for shielding in neutron radiography and in nuclear reactors. Like most rare earths, gadolinium forms trivalent ions which have fluorescent properties. Gd (III) salts have therefore been used as green phosphors in various applications.

The Gd(III) ion occurring in water-soluble salts is quite toxic to mammals. However, chelated Gd(III) compounds are far less toxic because they carry Gd(III) through the kidneys and out of the body before the free ion can be released into tissue. Because of its paramagnetic properties, solutions of chelated organic gadolinium complexes are used as intravenously administered gadolinium-based MRI contrast agents in medical magnetic resonance imaging. However, in a small minority of patients with renal failure, at least four such agents have been associated with development of the rare nodular inflammatory disease nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. This is thought to be due to gadolinium ion itself, since Gd(III) carrier molecules associated with the disease differ.

Pal
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:15:06 am by Palace »
single sided deafness

crv1200

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2012, 05:36:19 pm »
they are using the contrast toward the end of the MRI for sure.,  Only way I can do this is General Anesthesia., and still not looking forward to it, I am sick today on my stomach i think from Chinese food or my body just getting over all the Steroids.

ray

crv1200

Re: D Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MRI TODAY
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2012, 06:29:19 am »
Well the day has finally arrived for my MRI.  I am dreading it and also looking forward to getting it over.  My ear is worse than ever and now I can bearly hearing anything out of it.  I still pray it is not an AN.. these Dr's down here have probably never seen one.  I have to be at the hospital at 11am and MRI scheduled for 12:30

Ray

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2012, 07:24:25 am »
Well the day has finally arrived for my MRI.  I am dreading it and also looking forward to getting it over.  My ear is worse than ever and now I can bearly hearing anything out of it.  I still pray it is not an AN.. these Dr's down here have probably never seen one.  I have to be at the hospital at 11am and MRI scheduled for 12:30

Ray

My thoughts and prayers will be with you today.....

Best Wishes,

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2012, 11:21:10 am »
Ray ~

You should be just finishing the MRI scan (1:20 P.M. EDT) now.  I hope it went well for you and doesn't indicate an acoustic neuroma but something less daunting that can be effectively treated to relieve your acute hearing loss. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2012, 02:12:38 pm »
It will take extra time for the anesthetic to wear off before being released.  It's an instant world these days, to a certain limit.

Sometimes waiting is the hardest part of most anything as we all know on this forum.
single sided deafness

crv1200

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2012, 08:30:21 pm »
I made it through the MRI fine no issues other than raw throat from the breathing tube and some sore places where they stuffed me in the tunnel LOL.. my ear has gone completely crazy tonight, with high pitched hum/low pitched hum/ and ringing on top.. and when I say LOUD I mean LOUD>>> I guess anesthesia has worn off LOL  I tried to look at the images hehe!  but I can't tell anything because I couldn't figure out how to look at one image alone, they are all too small.  I tried., I do have some brains and funny shaped head though LOL

Ray