Author Topic: Gamma Knife on September 21  (Read 3265 times)

formula30

Gamma Knife on September 21
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:10:26 pm »
I just wanted to let everyone know that I had my gamma knife on september 21st.....at Thomas Jefferson Hospital.......Neuroscience Building.......as everyone says the treatment is not bad.  It really wasn't painful at all.  They give you an IV and some ativan......put on the headframe.......after four little shots.....they burn a little, but certainly not bad.  Then the MRI and the mapping, and then gamma........a long day......but really pretty much painless.  I can't say enough about the treatment I received from all the doctors, nurses, everyone I came into contact with was the best.  All so caring and understanding.  I have a problem with meds........so they only gave me half......unfortunately I get nauseous from them...........and that was my biggest problem.  Without the nausea it was nothing.  I have had more pain at the dentist.  For the following five days I slept alot.......and the nausea lasted for the first five days.......but after that I am pretty much back to my old self.  I honestly believe the nausea was the medicine and nerves...........not the treatment.  Most people don't have a problem with meds so then this would have been even easier.  I want to thank everyone on this site that helped me come to an informed decision.  For me this was the right decision.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Gamma Knife on September 21
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:14:54 pm »
formula30 ~

Congratulations on your relatively painless GK treatment.  Thanks for the update, too.  Very encouraging for 'newbies'.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:06:00 pm »
Congrats fellow "Zapper"    here's to a great follow up MRI...enjoy your weekend!
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Sefra22

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 07:16:11 pm »
Glad your treatment went well,but sorry the meds made you so sick. Five days! That's worse than the flu. Hope you're doing better now.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

nanramone

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 07:46:12 pm »
Congratulations, and I hope things continue to go well for you!

Nancy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:47:23 pm »
Formula -

glad to hear you made the right choice for you.  The last thing anyone should do post treatment is second guess their choice.

Sorry to hear about the nausea - I had tons of that after my AN surgery and I know it's not fun  :(  Happy to hear it's passed.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lizard

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 10:51:15 am »
Great to hear everything went well, don't be surprised if you have changes in your symptoms over the near term.  Swelling can do interesting things, but hopefully you don't have any problems at all.
Congrats toastie postie!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt