Author Topic: Food  (Read 2748 times)

godftamm

Food
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:20:58 pm »
Hi everyone, question: Do you find that food taste different after surgery? I loved all food now I cant stand  half of what I eat. Has anyone else had this problem?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Food
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:45:53 am »
This is a very common issue after AN surgery.

Lots of us had what we like to refer to as "metallic mouth" - where your taste buds are wonky and things just don't taste the same  :(

Generally in time, this issue resolves itself and you get back to where you were post op.

No one can really say how long it will last - in my case, it was several months - so hang in there.

Hopefully it will go away soon.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:57:53 am »
I had the same problem.  It does improve, but there are some days when it feels like my taste has
been compromised.  I would say you will see improvement, so be patient.  You know the upside is if your wife is a terrible cook, lol....

godftamm

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 04:11:03 pm »
Thanks, your right about what it taste like. I had fish last night and thought I messed it up, cooked it wrong but I didn't it just tastes so bad. :-[ This helps a lot thank you.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 04:21:34 pm »
godftamm ~

My large AN was encroaching on my brainstem and had also affected my trigeminal nerve.  The result being that I lost all sense of taste.  Everything tasted like cardboard, even my favorite foods so I practically stopped eating - and lost over 30 pounds.  That was about the time my wife insisted I see the doctor to find out why I couldn't taste anything.  Long story short: the 4.5 cm AN was discovered via MRI scan and I underwent surgery and radiation, both eminently successful and with almost no post-op/radiation complications, thank God.  Within a day of my surgery, my sense of taste returned and has remained normal ever since, although I've managed to avoid gaining back the weight I lost from what I jokingly call my 'AN diet'.

I'm not a doctor and certainly can't offer any guarantees but if your AN is having a similar effect I would surmise that with the tumor removed, your sense of taste should return to normal.

Jim   
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:45:11 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

godftamm

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 04:36:27 pm »
I was told at first that my tumor was 2.5x 3.5 cm and had a stem that had wrapped around my brain stem a couple of times. After surgery I found out it was alot bigger and the brain stem was so com-packed that they said I was lucky to be alive. it was on my right side. Not sure how to tell everyone everything but will during my visit on the 10th.

New girl

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 05:13:52 pm »
That is an incredible story.  Glad you made it through the surgery.  In my post op visits with my doctors I brought a list of my questions/concerns so that I would not forget any of them.  You can also ask them to show you your MRI.  They should have an electronic copy in their computer system.  Best wishes.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons