Author Topic: Old research articles  (Read 1462 times)

Esperanza

Old research articles
« on: August 06, 2008, 05:24:24 pm »
 Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1988 Jan;114(1):85-7.Links
Hearing recovery following suboccipital excision of acoustic neuroma.Telian SA, Kemink JL, Kileny P.
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor 48109.

Improvement of hearing after excision of an acoustic neuroma has been observed infrequently. We present a case of dramatic recovery of hearing in a patient with a 1-cm acoustic neuroma whose pure-tone thresholds and speech discrimination had profoundly deteriorated while she awaited surgical therapy. Postoperatively, her hearing in the affected ear is equal to that in her other ear, and her speech discrimination exceeds that of her best preoperative audiogram. Issues related to hearing preservation and improvement after acoustic tumor surgery are discussed.

Y. Inoue1, K. Ogawa1, J. Kanzaki1
1Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine Keio University 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku-ku 160 Tokyo Japan

Abstract
We herein report on the hearing improvement obtained after tumor removal in a vestibular schwannoma patient with preoperative severe hearing loss and good otoacoustic emission. Hearing recovery after tumor removal is an uncommon occurrence. As a result, hearing preservation surgery is usually not performed for patients with severe hearing loss. However, patients with a good OAE seem to have a better chance to recover their hearing than those with a poor OAE, even if they have severe hearing loss. As a result, the cochlear function should be evaluated, especially regarding the OAE, before determining the indications for hearing preservation surgery.

Hi all, thought these were interesting and wondered if anyone had been aware of having a cochlear function test before surgery?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 05:50:07 pm by Esperanza »
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Cheryl R

Re: Old research article
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 05:39:21 pm »
Interesting article.      I have never heard of a cochlear function test.    I am an exception to the rule and did have a great deal of hearing improvement after my April mid fossa.    I am NF2 so deaf on the rt and was next to deaf on the left.     It was just expected that I would be going on to the cochlear implant a month after the April surgery.        There has been no mention of future tests and that I have an intact and functioning acoustic nerve so could have the CI if needed some day,stated by my surgeon.          I have a small amt of decrease in hearing since I last saw my surgeon and do have a Sept appt to discuss it with him.               I am no where near what I was pre op.   
I do know there are occ people who have mid fossa with no increased loss of hearing but not an improvement from what they were.
                                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care