Author Topic: Hair loss anyone???  (Read 3589 times)

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
Hair loss anyone???
« on: February 15, 2009, 08:45:36 pm »
     I had my sub-occipital surgery back in November, and had some complications that prolonged my hospital stay, along with having me on a list of meds a mile long.  Now, I am noticing A LOT of hair loss.  I shed all day long, and I have a ton of it, hand-fulls, come out when shampooing.  I talked to my family doc about it, thinking it was due to the blood pressure med, metoprolol, that I had been on (hair loss listed as a rare side effect). I was able to stop taking that medicine the end of last week.  Hopefully, in the next week I will notice a gradual tapering off of the hair loss.  I am only taking a baby aspirin now. Of course, I googled it and started diagnosing myself as usual, and it seems that telogen effluvium is the generalized term for what seems to be happening.

Just curious to see if any of you, gals in particular, had any of this happen.  And if so, how long did it last, and how much hair did you end up losing??  I don't want to be bald at 30, but compared to all that I've been through lately, that wouldn't be the worst.  I don't want to have to ask SGerrard to knit me a hat!  haha

-Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Hair loss anyone???
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 10:16:23 pm »
Amy,
This was something my doctors warned me might happen as a result of anesthesia but it didn't happen. Apparently it's common enough to warrant a warning.  It will probably pass (and grow back!!)
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:18:36 pm »
I don't want to have to ask SGerrard to knit me a hat!  haha

I'd be happy to knit you a hat - bald or otherwise. ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:51:48 am »
Thanks, Steve.  I'll keep ya in mind  ;D
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 04:33:21 pm »
Amy:

I didn't have this problem following my AN removal surgery but when I began my 26 FSR treatments, the radiologist warned that I might have some hair loss .  Later that day, just before I underwent my first session, he assured me that he had re-calibrated the radiation 'dosage' (downward) and that I wouldn't lose any hair...and I didn't.  My barber was relieved.   

My wife suffered some hair loss after extensive spinal surgery a few years back.  Nothing drastic but - even though she has always worn her hair very short - she was a bit concerned, as you are, now.  That eventually resolved and her doctor attributed her hair loss to medication, but she wasn't convinced because she didn't take many medications at that time.  I think it might have been stress.  Who knows?  Anyway, her hair has been growing normally ever since.  She still keeps it very short (I think it's cute).   

I believe you're on the right track with your suspicions about the drug Metoprolol possibly being the culprit.  That is a serious drug and you're right, hair loss is a listed potential side effect. 

Bottom line:  I doubt your AN surgery has much to do with your unwanted hair loss but the drugs you had to take may play a part.  Now that you're off the Metoprolol, your hair should revert to it's normal growth pattern - and remain on your head.  If not, Steve has a hat for you.  :D

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:29:24 pm »
Amy

I lost a lot of hair after my surgery, but since I tend to shed a lot (for lack of a better description) I just assumed it was made worse by the stress of the surgery.  I actually only stopped losing a lot of hair recently when my doc had me start taking multivitamins a couple of weeks before my BAHA surgery.  So in my  case, even though my blood work from my pre-op tests was  right in the mid range of normal, I thought it might have been a vitamin deficiency.  Whatever the cause, I stopped losing so much hair (I've continued taking the vitamins) and it is thickening up again.  It might be worht a try for you too.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:53:27 pm »
I already had post-partum hair loss going on when I had my surgery in november, and the surgery/anesthesia greatly compounded the problem.  3 months post-op, it has finally slowed down close to normal.  My hair is a lot thinner than normal, but it's usually really thick, so doesn't look too terrible. It's growing back with a vengeance!

Vonda