Author Topic: Returning to work....and riding horses!  (Read 4599 times)

Ali63

Returning to work....and riding horses!
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:38:04 pm »
Hi all
I was just diagnosed this week and have had my first consult.... I'm 49 and have disequilibrium and hearing loss.  Unilateral.  I'm trying to figure out what the next months are going to look like as surgery is the recommended course of action.  How they go in etc is yet to be figured out.

But I live on my own ...but have great siblings and friends so am not worried about support.  I also work for a great company who s very supportive.  But I really have no idea what I should be thinking about re being able to return to work?   Any thoughts?

Also, up to two weeks ago I was riding and jumping horses competitively.   Are there any other riders out there who have been through this?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!
Ali63

mccsurg

• Twitter: mccsurg
Re: Returning to work....and riding horses!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 05:33:23 am »
Ali,

Not a horse rider, but we've been discussing bicycle riding after AN surgery. I believe that your recovery is, to a very large extent, what you make it. If you have a positive attitude and are willing to get out there and be very physically active and work through the balance issues, you'll be back on a horse. As for work, that's a bit of a crap shoot. My surgeons put it to me this way: "If you were a union employee, you'd have 6 months off. Our 'more motivated' patients usually return to work in about 6 weeks". As a surgeon myself, I'd translate that a little differently. With motivated rehab and no complications, you could be back in 5-6 weeks. Any glitches in rehab or post-op complications (i.e. CSF leak) and it will be longer.

matt
2.1 cm left sided AN
Removed July 30, 2004

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 11:29:46 am »
Hi Ali63

Dr. Matt made some very good observations.  What I have learned from participating on this site is that there is no template for recoveries.  It seems that some people get right back to normal in a very short time, while others do not.  I had a very challenging recovery and unfortunately I'm not 100% nor do I think I will ever be.  But that is my story, let's talk about yours.  Dr. Matt made some very good points about working hard and staying motivated on your recovery.  There are physical activities that I can do today that I thought I would never do again.

Twenty years ago I took English riding lessons.  I became good enough to begin to learn to jump, but I was scared to take my riding abilities that far.  I know what it takes to be in shape and be a good rider.  You will have to continue to keep yourself fit, and hopefully you have a good recovery and get back to riding.  I wish I could say what your time line will look like, but it will all depend on how quickly you make the balance adjustments.  keep sharing here, work hard and never give up.

All the best,

Bob

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:29:50 pm »
I am not sure how large your AN is, but feel it is definitely worth consulting a doctor that performs radiation if your tumour is 3cm or less. If you see a surgeon they will often recommend surgery.

I live in Australia.
In my younger days of spending time in the outback of Australia I did ride horses, nothing like the Jackaroo's but good enough to race around a paddock at speed and jump the odd fence.

I also snow ski quite a bit in Australia... yes we do have snow.
The balance problems I had with the AN meant I really stopped enjoying snow skiing, I could do it, but only in good vision.
The black runs with bumps in low vision conditions were definitely out. I could ski the easy stuff but it made me dizzy and I stopped enjoying it.
So will you be able to horse ride ever again? yes I am sure you will, definitely....
Its more a question of how enjoyable will it be.

2 years after CK my balance improved and I began enjoying skiing again, my balance is not 100% but it doesn't affect me or my skiing.
I also bike ride. If you end up in the same state I am in now, and we are a similar age (I am 49 now and had CK at 46) you will enjoy horse riding once again. I went horse riding with my daughter 12 months ago... I had no problems at all, but hey it was pretty lame. No galloping, no sharp turns at speed, a very lame log jump... Most importantly I wasn't dizzy at the end of it, I enjoyed it, and would be very confident I could have raced around on the horse as I did 30 years earlier if they would have let me.

If you end up in the same condition as me I have no doubt you could ride competitively and enjoy it.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:32:35 pm by PaulW »
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

nclabtech

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:16:19 am »
Hi Ali63
I ride and show horses too! i have a 3yr old AQHA gelding and have ridden for 30 years.
I had my AN surgery on July 26th by retrosigmoid approach. I rode by horse on July 21st, prior to surgery and was able to ride again on August 22nd.
I went back to work on Sept 3rd, but easily could have on August 26th, approx 4 weeks post op.
My AN was 1.2 cm on my right side. I had some hearing loss and facial nerve numbness preop and retained useful hearing in my AN ear and the facial numbness resolved post-op.
Please feel free to PM me as I am happy to answer questions.  My AN experience has been positive and not at all as horrible as I anticipated. I attribute the success of surgery and rapid recovery to my surgeon, Dr Fukushima. Everything he told me to expect was accurate. Other consults informed me that I would lose my hearing in my right ear and recommended middle fossa approach due to the AN location. I am 41 years old and this was my first surgery and first hospital stay. I hope your experience is as positive as mine and you are back in the saddle soon.
Right 8 mm AN diagnosed 5/7/13. Some hearing loss, facial numbness, tinnitus.
Retrosigmoid surgery scheduled for 7/26/13. Dr Fukushima Duke Raleigh, NC
Retrosigmoid surgery 7/26 right 1.2cm AN, retained useful hearing, no facial deficits, constant tinnitus.

guinness18

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:37:40 am »
I am a 3 day event rider who competes at the Prelim and 1* level. I had Linac radiation for my AN 2 weeks ago. Have really wondered about returning to riding. I think it depends on your desire. I have been nauseated, tired and have had bad headaches since my treatment. I am torn about making a comeback but also fearful of jeopardizing me or my very nice horse. As you know Eventing and Jumpers are extreme sports and death and major injuries occur all the time anyway. Just be careful and take it at the pace you feel comfortable. And of course wear your helmet and airvest!!!

Ali63

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 08:03:34 am »
Hi all
Thank you all so much for all your posts and information.  It is now 10 months since surgery for me.  I couldn't have radiation as the tumor was growing into my brainstem.  But I was out of the hospital in 4 days and starting vestibular therapy and physical therapy shortly thereafter.

I found returning to work very tiring--being on a computer and running to meetings all day--plus a 2 hour commute--took my balance backwards for a while.  But basically my balance is now better than it was before surgery.  I do find, however, that I MUST have 8 hours sleep a night to have the best balance. 

And as for riding horses, I was back on my long time horse a month post surgery--but let me qualify--he was coming back from an injury too so it was slow work.  The following months we did more and more together, and actually got back in the show ring jumping very small fences at the end of March (5 months post op).

I just completed my first real show--jumping and (for those who ride) competing in speed classes. 

All the advice you gave was excellent.  What I found on my own was riding is EXCELLENT vestibular therapy--it helps with the eye-brain connection.  That said, if I am doing collected work on the flat (sit trot, circles, collected trot and canter) and/or jumping, I am fine while doing it, but need to listen to how I feel after and often have to sleep.

I take better care of myself now than I did before all this started--eating better, sleeping more and adjusting my commitments if it gets too much.  Good thing is my body is very good at telling me how it feels.  I lost the hearing in my AN ear, and do have low white noise all the time.  It gets louder when I need to sleep or am stressed.  But it doesn't bother me--its a quiet, constant sound to meditate on and think about how lucky I am to be back doing what I love.

I haven't tried skiing--grew up racing as a kid.  I don't know how it will go, but I will be trying it this winter in CO.  I doubt I'll be able to do anything with bumps, but that's OK.  As long as I have my riding!

Good luck to all of you--the advice about staying positive is the best anyone can get.