Author Topic: Passed annual MRI,, now only 4 more to go!  (Read 3208 times)

alabamajane

Passed annual MRI,, now only 4 more to go!
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:48:15 am »
Had annual visit to Doctors this week,, all is well... MRI is clear and facial paralysis is making "remarkable progress".. good news.. I of course have a ways to go, but at about 11 mos. ,, it is much better... patience and practice of facial movement seem to be the RX!!!

Balance is good for the most part.. only slight "swagger" when walking...not dizzy very often now and really not many headaches.. fatigue just slight problem.. still have eyelid weight, but was told I can decide when I am comfortable to have it removed as eye is "working " quite well.. also told I have option to replace the 1.2 gram weight with a .6 which would be less noticeable,, I am considering that after a few more months...resting tone very good,, smile becoming more symmetrical..ear finally feels "attached"to head (after translab approach),, still numbness along jawline and bottom of earlobe,, but otherwise,, not many other "leftover" affects...

asked about accupuncture and electrical stimulation on face,, neither was perceived to be very helpful in their opinion,, I am sure there are others that will differ in opinion....I have really just massaged cheek and forhead and practiced making faces at myself....... and not "overdone" anything for this first year to let nerve regenerate at it's own pace and seems to have worked out pretty good,,  this is not to say that I don't still have "days" of feeling "blue" about my situation,, but Dr visits were good "pep talk" and confirmation that there are good days ahead still!!

Hope everyone else that reads this is improving well also!!! Take care and thanks for all advice/support you have given over these last few years... Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Passed annual MRI,, now only 4 more to go!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 02:13:41 pm »
Jane ~

Congratulations - and thanks for that positive and informative one-year (post-op) update.  I'm so pleased to learn how well your recovery is coming!  I'm sure next years update will continue to be encouraging. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 12:55:50 pm »
Congratulations on the clean MRI.

May you have (at least) 4 more that show the same!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

millie

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 05:17:24 pm »
Wonderful news, Jane !  Thanks for the hope and comfort  you instill by sharing.

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:00:21 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies and well wishes,,, it means so much to have friends that care,, it has been a hard journey, as each of us knows,, but as we say,,,,,there is life afterwards,,albeit, maybe not quite the same as before diagnosis.

Jan, trying to decide on moving forward with BAHA or something ,,, had to get " over" AN surgery,,
SSD not too bad,, but with hubby who is hard of hearing,, we do A LOT of HUHs and WHAT'S around here!!!!!!

Will keep you all updated and again thanks for ALL support you have been in the past and I am sure will be in the future!! Great site/ forum for sure,,,,, wish more Dr. Would recommend to new patients.
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 09:54:54 pm »
The BAHA was an excellent choice for me - try the demo before you decide; the real thing is even better.

If you decide against the BAHA, the TransEar is supposed to be a great choice and I've been hearing (no pun intended) some very positive things about the Phonak Cros.

Good luck!

Jan

Lots of docs don't recommend the Forum to their patients because they feel they will be frightened by some of the stories here.  I don't agree with that though and always tell my doc how great the Forum is.  Nothing like being able to interact with others who've "been there, done that".
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways