Author Topic: Experiences Appreciated  (Read 2380 times)

allisjbh

• facebook
Experiences Appreciated
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:00:39 am »
I had an AN resection 14 months ago. Facial paralysis ensued with no movement since. I returned to full time teaching two months after surgery - but finally crashed. Limited vision, hearing, speech, balance, and energy finally took its toll.

Two months ago I had the eyelid weight and eyebrow lift procedures. It has helped with retaining moisture in my eye - but my brow arch is much higher than the other now. Each surgery/procedure is necessary but doesn't quite turn out as hoped.

Next month I am scheduled to have a Gore-Tex sling anchored in my cheekbone to improve my static smile. Anyone had this procedure? Pros or cons?
ALLISON
2.8cm x 3.8cm AN translab 12/31/09 Emory Atl Drs Olson & Mattox;  right facial paralysis: "... (facial) nerve remarkably thin..." EMG 8/10; gold weight, tarrs, & browlift 1/11 Neufeld; facial sling implant & left eye bleph 4/11 Yellin

moe

Re: Experiences Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:57:14 am »
Your scenario sounds similar to Kaybo, if you haven't chatted with her, send her a PM.
I've had multiple surgeries for the facial paralysis, spaced over 4.5 years. Frustrating for me too, because partial facial function did not return after the original surgery when the face nerve was reattached, and then the 7/12 graft surgery.  Finally I got a cheek implant surgery last May which has given me movement.

As far as the brow lift, I had that a couple weeks ago. My AN side is just a tad bit higher (he actually did both sides, the AN side a little higher). It will most likely sag back down through the years I'm thinking, so hopefully it is most noticeable to you and not others.

We are a work in progress, and yes of course for me too, the results aren't quite as hoped (though I am very pleased with the cheek implant). Had the doctor mentioned 7/12 as a first option? I'm actually glad, in retrospect, that I had the 7/12 which failed, because I was introduced to this amazing procedure, which is not a common surgery.
PM me if you want more specifics! And just hang in there, one day at a time ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

MNTim

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:28:14 pm »
After the surgery that left me with a high level of paralysis I too felt a hgh level of fear and concern about the future.  I required a third surgery to remove the tumor in it's entirety.  This procedure was performed on 1/31/11 and included a 7/12.  I am seeing some progress in gaining tone and feel a lot of hope to gain back some of my original look.

Best of luck,
Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:08:05 pm »
Thank you for your responses. Tim - Your future sounds bright with the progress you're making! Moe - I PMd you and am interested in learning about the cheek implant.
ALLISON
2.8cm x 3.8cm AN translab 12/31/09 Emory Atl Drs Olson & Mattox;  right facial paralysis: "... (facial) nerve remarkably thin..." EMG 8/10; gold weight, tarrs, & browlift 1/11 Neufeld; facial sling implant & left eye bleph 4/11 Yellin