Author Topic: Another W & W  (Read 3608 times)

nancyllindsay

Another W & W
« on: January 09, 2010, 06:45:29 pm »
I had a consultation with Dr. House at House Clinic on January 6. His recommendation was the one I was hoping for -- another MRI in May to see if the tumor is growing and if the rate of growth can be determined. I still have good hearing in the affected ear. The only real problem is balance which isn't good. Apparently my good ear isn't effectively compensating due, Dr. House speculated, to "mixed signal" still be sent from the affect ear. His comment was that my balance might actually improve after surgery or GK because the balance nerve would be sacrificed and that would leave a clear field (so to speak) for the balance mechanism on the good side. In the meantime I have balance exercises to do daily until I see Dr. House again in May.

Dr. House recommended either surgery (TransLab) or GK. He actually said he thought I was a good candidate for GK and that's the approach I've been favoring.

What an impressive place House Clinic is. I left feeling that I was a good hands.

Nan

sgerrard

Re: Another W & W
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 01:36:18 am »
I left feeling that I was a good hands.

You were. And are. And will be. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

opp2

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:16:19 am »
Welcome Nan, all the best to you as you make your way.

What size is your tumour if you don't mind?
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:53:27 am »
Nan -

It sounds like Dr. House had some very good recommendations for you.  I'm glad to hear you found a doctor you are comfortable with.

As Steve said you are in good hands.

Making your treatment decision is never an easy task, but I'm confident that you'll decide what is best for you.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Vivian B.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 01:11:23 pm »
Hi Nan

Welcome to the forum. Glad you find us. Like you, I also go back in May for yet another MRI. You will find soon you will get used them. I am on my third. I am glad to  hear that balance issues may be better after GK as my balance has also been thrown off lately. Keep reading, keep posting and let's find out what is going on in May 2010! I think my tumor grew. I felt really weird for a couple of weeks. I don't know.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

davjack

• Spinning out of control
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 12:44:12 pm »
Wow...I'm impressed. I thought House only did surgery. I'm glad to hear about the "might improve" with GK, since that's the route I'm going when I go. This first kook doctor I saw told me only surgery clears up balance, but after talking to ppl who've had surgery like 10 years ago, and are still dealing with balance here or there, I'm guessing he just wanted to "get inside my head" so to speak. Here's a good one...my eye doctor today told me his son, an oncologist at the same hospital Dr. Kook works at, went to NY for his AN surgery, lol! Hmmm...I think I made the right choice going to Dr. Antonelli 5 hours away in Gainesville.
Lumpy is 1.3cm...am now in W&W mode since Dec. 2009