Author Topic: Do you mix up words?  (Read 14801 times)

Pembo

Do you mix up words?
« on: August 23, 2007, 03:15:06 pm »
I was at a luncheon today for new teachers and had to stand up and say a few words about myself. The lady who introduced me had just finished introducting the other new teacher who happens to be my sister in law. She said "...and this is **** and she's related to ****. And she can you tell you more." So I stood up and tried to say Yes she is married to my brother but it came out she is married to my husband.

The whole place erupted in laughter and I tried to quickly correct myself. I was so embarrassed. I finished up the few things I was going to say about myself (that I had been practicing in my mind the whole time others were talking) and quickly sat down.

The rest of the lunch I couldn't stop thinking about what I said. Lucky for me we listened to a speaker for about 5 mins, had a quick photo and I left. By the time I got to the car I was really upset and my one tearing eye started to cry.  I know it was funny but I'm already self-conscious and that was a hit to the self-esteem. Plus I had just made it through eating and drinking without dribbling on myself. I was feeling pretty good.

I know only those on this side of the AN can appreciate this little side-effect and how annoying it can be. I will be alright and it could be worse but DAMN that surgery.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 03:18:12 pm by Pembo »
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Do you mix up words?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:21:16 pm »
Yep, I sure do, and all the time... I notice it more in my writing skills ..  I make sure I re-read my emails (and postings!) 3 times before I send it off...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 04:18:36 pm »
Pembo,
Happens all the time.  Don't be too hard on yourself.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Static

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 07:38:12 pm »
Pembo,
You are definitely not alone in feeling that way.  But no sooner that it happened will it be forgotten.  Try to let it go, tomorrow is another day.  Nobody's perfect.  But like you so elegantly put it..... DAMN that surgery!  I totally agree!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 08:26:51 pm »
Pembo I mix up my words all the time. Here's a story to make you feel better.  Today while out celebrating my 2 year mark over lunch with my gf who had been on me all morning about getting back out in the dating circle I happen to see a cutie coke guy making a delivery and decided to take the advice and got my nerve up to strike up a conversation when my throat siezed up (an residual problem) started choking and reached for my water and knocked it over like a 2 year old. Needless to say I didn't get his number  ROFLMAO I've been at many teacher functions were someone blunders like that and they didn't have an surgery. Life happens, I understand the self conscious issues but please don't let it get you down. Just laugh with them like it doesn't bother you. Next time ask the person who is introducing you to go a step farther to limit how much you need to say.

Go back tomorrow with your head held high! I applaude your courage in tackling a difficult profession with our post surgical issues!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 05:48:11 am »
Pembo -

you are definitely not alone here.  I mix up my words fairly often and since my surgery can no longer write an email without correcting it numerous times before sending.  It's like my brain gets ahead of my fingers, and although I think I've typed a word, when I re-read what I've typed it's always missing words or I've typed words I didn't mean to type.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

FlyersFan68

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 07:53:07 am »
I think I'm part of this club too. However, I caught my wife mixing up words yesterday and she never had surgery. Since our vestibular nerve is either damaged or removed we generally get fatigued easier than others. One side is pulling double duty. It certainly seems to happen more when I am fatigued. Maybe you were nervous from the start. I think you should play it back in your mind and find the humor in it yourself. We can't take small things too serious. If someone makes a joke you could always say the old "I had brain surgery what's your excuse". Nobody is perfect. The only way to overcome your embarassment is to find the humor in it yourself.  :D

pattibobatti

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 08:27:19 am »
Hi Pembo,

After the An surgery, some of us have so much change to deal with.  And most of it is about trying to be the same person as we were before the surgery.  It can be exhausting.  We just want to be normal like everyone else.....

All the things you guys have written about have happened to me sometime in the last few years.  For me, I am very aware of my difficulties all the time and I don't reallly think it shows.  I keep it all in because really, it is old news now. 

Pembo, maybe that is why you could'nt laugh with all of them.  Sometimes, there is too much emotion built up inside before we even get out of bed. 

Thank goodness they all laughed. Can you imagine what would have happened if they all new you were about to pop inside.  Now that would have been really bad!!!!

Thank you for sharing.  We, for the most part completely understand.
Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Pembo

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 10:38:21 am »
It's good to hear I'm not alone! I see the humor in it now! When it happened I immediately self-corrected, like I always do when I confuse words but by then everyone was laughing. I was able to hold it together and finish my pre-thought out sentences.

I know I have problems when I try to speak too fast before thinking it through and also when I'm nervous. But now that I think about it if I'm mad I can speak as clearly as the next guy...never messed up words when yelling at my own kids...hmmm ??? ;)

Today I had to go to a faculty meeting at my school and meet all the teachers.The principal introduced my sil and myself and said that we were related. My sil quickly said how we were related. I think she knew how embarrased I was yesterday...but she'd never say a thing...gotta love intuitive family and friends. :)

And as someone said, I have known other people to mix up words and they don't have a damn tumor to blame. At least I have a good excuse. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 02:14:55 pm »
What's funny is when you say the wrong word, then follow it up with the right word.  Makes for funny combinations.

I was hanging out and shopping with some of my AN friends.  We were going into a store and I was intending to say "hat", but said "happy" instead, corrected my self immediately, and it sounded like I meant to say "happy hat".  The adjective did not fit in the sentence about the hat at all, and I'm still laughing about it. 

often I seem to mean to say one word and the antonym will come out, in other words, the opposite of what I mean to say.  I've always considered myself relatively intelligent, but it sure doesn't seem so when my sentences break down to gibberish!  It is pretty funny though!!!!  Anyone taken an IQ test post surgery?  I should go do that and see how I score now.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Catflower

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 02:57:52 pm »
This has nothing to do with mixing up words, but it's still funny.  I went to visit my son yesterday evening (he's disabled and has full time caretakers).  I was there about 15 minutes when the lady who was working said "honey, is you shirt wrong side out?"  Sure enough it was.  Apparently I'd been wearing it like that all days.  It also shows how much attention my husband pays to what I'm wearing. :D

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 08:19:35 am »
Hey Catflower:  I hear that it's good luck if you put something on inside out & not aware of it.   So, maybe it will turn out to be a good thing !!  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 09:06:09 am »
I'm constantly getting my mords wixed up!  All you can do is yaugh at lourself!

Dapt Ceb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Lorenzo

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 10:22:45 am »
ay, i balme the AN.

Mark

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 10:26:41 am »
I don't mix them up anymore than I did before treatment, but I fully intend to use the AN as an excuse when necessary  :)

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001