Author Topic: Annual Update: Still Watch and Wait  (Read 2643 times)

SGBlons

• Living with uncertainty and great joy!
Annual Update: Still Watch and Wait
« on: June 13, 2013, 06:55:28 pm »
Just returned from the Mayo Clinic for a reading of my most recent MRI done June 5, 2013.  My 7mm tumor is now maybe 8mm, so very minimal growth.  Some further hearing loss on my AN side.  My tinnitus has gotten more "entertaining," more volume variations, more kinds of sounds.  But I am able to ignore it 99% of the time.  No balance or facial symptoms.

Plan remains the same: watch and wait, have another MRI in a year, report any significant changes.  Waiting is the best choice for me, hands down.  All treatment options at this point would potentially do more harm than this AN is doing left alone.

Radiation with gamma knife is still my choice of treatment, should that become necessary.  I've resigned myself to the eventual loss of all hearing in my AN ear, no matter what I do.  Just a question of when.  From all I've read and heard, the acoustic nerve is just too sensitive to trauma.  So be it.

I remain grateful to my Dr's, Link and Discoll, to my AN friends who I've met through the Twin City support group meeting, and to the faithful who keep this forum and the ANA going.
5-7mm AN L; diagnosed 12/9/11
As of June 2014 now 9mm
Still W&W

Mickey

Re: Annual Update: Still Watch and Wait
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:35:33 pm »
    Hi SGBlons! Just as long as your reserved to W+W right now why don`t you take some pro active steps for your at minimal health improvement? Go over the W+W brigade posts and don`t conceed anything... Who says you got to loose your hearing? Wishing you the best, Mickey

Derek

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:04:19 am »
Hi there SGB...

I have just read over your previous posts and they are very inspirational for anyone newly diagnosed and who is deliberating on W & W as a valid treatment option. Your methodical approach since diagnosis and your positive attitude are the key factors necessary for your continued success as are regular MRI scans and the guidance of a consultant in whom you have complete trust.  I agree with Mickey re taking positive steps to maintaining a good balanced diet and general healthy lifestyle as an essential support to dealing with and ultimaterly beating the 'enemy'  ;D

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 08:04:08 am »
SG ~

Thanks for the update. 

I admire your sensible approach to your AN diagnosis and your plan for how to deal with it.  Very practical with realistic expectations.  I hope whatever hearing deficits you encounter will remain manageable and that the GK won't be necessary.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.