Author Topic: Surgical Outcomes with Dr. Roland  (Read 1404 times)

Jwh

Surgical Outcomes with Dr. Roland
« on: December 18, 2008, 08:48:37 pm »
Hi,
I have a translanb scheduled with Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos on 1/26.  Anyone who has had surgery with them can you please share your experiences? 
thanks,
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Surgical Outcomes with Dr. Roland
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 01:28:52 pm »
Hi Jennifer-

I sent you a PM this morning, but wanted to respond here as well.  In my book, Roland is wonderful!  (As is Golfinos).  Because I've had facial complications, I continue to see Roland and I can tell you that he is not only very skilled, but is a tremendously compassionate and caring physician.  Unfortunately, he is not covered by our insurance, but we pay (gladly) out of pocket because I just can't imagine entrusting this to anyone else.

Just an example of the "above and beyond" care - when I discovered that my incision was leaking about two weeks after surgery, my husband placed a call to Roland's office at about 10 PM - and he called us back within less than 10 minutes.  We ended up emailing him pictures of the incision as he coached my husband through what to do.  I emailed him as recently as two weeks ago with a question and, as always, he got back to me within hours.  I really can't say enough good things about him.  He's my hero!

Sending you good wishes, Jennifer.  And, be careful out there - it's a snowy mess!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jwh

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 02:00:41 pm »
Debbi,
I can't thank you enough for your responses.  I as well think Dr. Roland is incredible.  I've known him for over a decade as I had my first surgery at NYU.  Dr. Roland practiced with Dr. Cohen and was in the O.R. with Dr. Cohen in 2001.  Sometimes people question my decision to go to NYU but I trust Roland very much.  I did ask Dr. Roland where my tumor was in proximity to my facial nerve and he said it was lying next to it.  Question - why did your incision leak?  What was leaking from it?  Thanks again for your time and support.
Kind regards,
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

jtd71465

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 02:14:33 pm »
Can't agree with Debbi more, the guy is great.  Jen, you are always welcome to come into NY on January 10th and see some of his work up-close.

Talk to you soon,

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 02:19:24 pm »
Hi Jen-

We never really knew why the incision started to leak.  When it first started, Dr. Roland restitched one area and put me on antibiotics, but then it started draining again a few days later and he said he wanted to re-admit me to the hospital.  I ended up seeing and infectious disease doc while I was in the hospital - they were unable to good a clean culture because I had already been on antibiotics for several days - so the end up was that I had an unspecified infection of unknown origin.  .  I think it was some sort of opportunistic infection that was able to sneak in while my immune system was compromised - that's my theory anyway.   ;)

I think it is pretty uncommon to get post surgical infections like this.  Wendysig also had drainage from her incision, but it wasn't an infection - I think it was something called "serous" fluid?  At the time I remember being incredibly relieved that it wasn't a CSF leak - for some reason, that was one of my biggest fears (the other being having a paralyzed face - hey, one our of two isn't bad!)  

You know Dr. Roland well enough to know that you can ask him any questions.  He still laughs when I show up for my follow up appointments with my big list of questions - but he is always patient and takes care to answer each question, no matter how silly it might be.

Be well,

Deb
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 06:06:39 pm »
I didn't have surgery with Dr. Roland (since I live nowhere near where he practices), however, I've heard nothing but great things about him and Dr. Golfinos on this forum.

IMO you can't go wrong choosing either of these docs.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways