Author Topic: Post Opt exercise/walking in winter  (Read 2274 times)

Debbiemg

Post Opt exercise/walking in winter
« on: October 28, 2014, 05:12:19 am »
My husband will be having surgery in Boston in early January. Here in New England, there's not much hope for being able to get outside and walk each day. At least not on a regular basis. We do have a Wii Fit that he might be interested in using, but I was wondering about a YMCA membership. How did others who were recovering during the winter months find ways to get their walking in?

NYLady

Re: Post Opt exercise/walking in winter
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:12:28 pm »
Debbie,

I live on Long Island in NY and in just above every mall there are groups that walk before the mall opens.  If a mall is located near you, might be worth trying.  Best of luck.

NYL

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Post Opt exercise/walking in winter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:26:54 pm »
The Wii Fit with balance board was a marvelous help to me on my balance. But I did walk a lot also.
I also practiced just going up and down stairs...even juggling up and down and stairs.

Malls and other indoor spaces can be helpful. The main thing is to move, and gradually increase moving. There is no doubt in my mind that walking is fundamental to good health and recovery. But it does not have to miles and miles. Frequent and short will help. The Wii will help.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.