Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 408962 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1590 on: September 30, 2010, 07:50:07 pm »
I'm almost done with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - and I too found the beginning very tough reading.  I almost put it aside and didn't continue reading, but I'm glad I did.  Eventually the plot picks up and it gets much more interesting.  I'm anxious to start The Girl Who Plays with Fire.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #1591 on: September 30, 2010, 09:29:32 pm »
I'm in the 2nd one (Girl books) but have been a little way-layed because of the move!  After all I had read here, I found that the slow, "hard to get into part" was MUCH shorter than what I thought it would be!!  I am not TOO terribly far along in the 2nd book, but like it even better than the 1st - I think it is because I like Salamander (that's what I call her!) so much!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #1592 on: September 30, 2010, 09:52:23 pm »
I have another book to recommend.  This is especially good if you have any interest in science or medicine.  It's a true story, a biography of sorts, though written like a novel.  It's called "The Immortal Life of Hentrietta Lacks".  It is about a woman who died many years ago and was treated for cervical cancer at Johns Hopkins.  In those days, no such thing as informed consent.  They took her cells to use for science research without her knowledge or her family's knowledge.  Cells were named by using the first to letters of the first name and the first two letters of the last name.  They were called HeLa cells.  Unlike other cells in the past that would die out after a period of time, Henrietta's cells kept reproducing and became instrumental in the discovery of medications and treatments of many dreaded diseases.  The polio vaccine development used Hela Cells, as well as many other well known discoveries.  The family did not find out about this for many years, and the story goes on.  Great reading and such interesting information.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1593 on: October 01, 2010, 04:49:16 am »
Dale, I read a lengthy article about that case. The woman's story was heartbreaking.

Is Girl with the Dragon Tattoo next on our list?

And back to my question: are we ready to discuss the Hunger Games trilogy?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1594 on: October 01, 2010, 04:54:35 am »
Dale -  thanks for the suggestion; sounds like a good book.

Kaybo - glad you've liking the second Girl book.  Still working on the first, as uch as I wanted to finish it last night.  Had to get some sleep  :P

Saralynn - I can discuss the trilogy at any time.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #1595 on: October 01, 2010, 08:32:01 am »
Ok, I'm hanging in there...it is getting better and I can see where the next books would be better as we will already "know" Lisbeth.  Just not sure I even like the writing style or quality?  Anyway, I'll keep going...yes, my interested is peeked - I do need to find out what has happened to that girl :D

Anne Marie, I was a banker (of sorts) in my career days.  Didn't know you were.  I was in Trust mainly, but also did some mortgage stuff along the way and years ago was a teller (never could get my drawer to balance, though!).  What about you?

Saralynn, I think we are supposed to be doing Hunger Games next, but not sure who was in on it, or who still needs to finish it?  I'm in and done.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Lizard

« Reply #1596 on: October 01, 2010, 10:34:04 am »
Love those "Girl with..." books too, but yes slow going.  Even the third one is slow in the beginning, but they have a lot of characters to work in so I get it...have to admit I only skimmed that part  ;)
What's the next series?  I really want to read the True Blood books, but not sure if I'd like them. 

I'm reading a good book now about Augusten Burrough's brother (Running with Scissors) about his life with Aspergers (look me in the Eye, by John Robison).  Its pretty interesting and if you've read any of the Augusten Burrough's books you can appreciate a lot of the dark humor .  It cracks me up!

Not sure what to next?
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Keri

« Reply #1597 on: October 01, 2010, 02:54:11 pm »
maybe i'm wrong, but it looks as though y'all are working on about 7 books! two trilogies?
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #1598 on: October 01, 2010, 03:37:42 pm »
in & ready!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1599 on: October 05, 2010, 05:13:40 am »
Ready , Willing and able to discuss Hunger Game series or Girl series ...
have kinda lost tract of where we are  ???
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1600 on: October 05, 2010, 07:32:58 am »
OK, I'll bite .....

I have read all three of the Hunger Games books, but my reading was spread over such a long period of time that I may not be able to add much to the discussion.

Just curious:  what was the attraction for everyone to keep reading to the end of the trilogy?

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #1601 on: October 05, 2010, 08:26:19 am »
I was intrigued by Katniss (?) and the whole thing of how a society could do that to children - I wanted to see how the author would end it!!

;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #1602 on: October 05, 2010, 05:22:41 pm »
my thoughts run similar to Kaybo ... we are to protect our children not put them in danger purposely ... had to see where author would take us

these were not among my favorite books I have read but something grabbed me and said read on ...  seeing a 3 year old from Africa  today that a friend  just adopted made me think of these books ... his mom had him at 12 and brought shame on her family so was put out on the streets with her baby to survive as best she could with him ... she was stealing and fighting to beat and take from others on the street , and who knows what else ... we know she turned violent to keep her baby and herself alive ...

it made me think of Katniss ... her struggle to survive along with her trying to protect the young girl from the other district ... this baby was lucky when he was removed from the streets at about 6 months and put in a group home ... his mom was also put in a group home where she goes to school and is learning work  skills to live as an adult ....then she will be released when she is somewhere between 16 and 18 ...this also made me think of the people from different districts in the books ... taught a skill that is needed in society and that is what they will do for life ... this girl will likely land in a factory , marry and have 6-8 kids and wear herself out while still young struggling to just survive ... part of me was saying why did they not take both the baby and his child mother and put them both up for adoption

the book was scary in how the children were treated ... this adoption and the similarities that came to mind for me were scarier
Translab July 2 ,2007

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1603 on: October 05, 2010, 06:03:54 pm »
I had kind of the same reaction as Soundy.  I did not like the first book but something compelled me to read the other two.  Like Kay, I guess I just needed to see where the author was taking us with Katniss.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Soundy

« Reply #1604 on: October 06, 2010, 05:54:44 am »
Me thinks a case of curiosity killing the cat ... I felt I had to continue reading even though over all I didn't much like the books
Translab July 2 ,2007