Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 409066 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1545 on: August 19, 2010, 06:51:23 am »
I agree w/Dale about reading the books in sequence.  The story is sequential in the way you understand the characters and their motives. I read somewhere that the family of Steig decided the 4th book would NOT be finished by another writer.  Did his girlfriend get the rights to it, I wonder?  I know he originally planned to write 10 books in the series and delivered the first three to the publisher as finished manuscripts. He died before they were published. I kinda got hooked on Salander (the Girl), I have to admit!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1546 on: August 19, 2010, 07:16:33 am »
Thanks for the advice.  I hear this is a great series and plan to read it.

I was going to purchase one of the books to read on my flight home from Seattle last week, but didn't know which one came first.

Mystery solved  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #1547 on: August 19, 2010, 07:35:45 am »
I have been on the fence about The Girl With...series - had heard mixed reviews, but you guys have convinced me I should give them a try.  So, adding more books to my long list - thanks!

Priscilla, you (and anyone else who'd like to join us) should come over to the "fitness" thread with us http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11646.465  - always nice to have new inspiration to keep exercising.  If I could read while on a treadmill, I'd have no problem burning tons of calories!  I really hadn't thought of listening to books while on it - I prefer to read them, of course, but listening to a good book would do the trick I'm sure.  The laundry would really get behind then :D

Anne Marie, I will admit that I did not find Echo as good as the rest of the series - for various reasons.  Will not comment further til you and Soundy have finished it, but I'd like to know what you both think once you're done. 

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

cindyj

« Reply #1548 on: August 19, 2010, 07:40:13 am »
Never mind, Priscilla...I see you have been over on the "fitness" thread...I suppose I have not had enough caffeine yet this morning, I guess...or old age...or  ???

So, any of you here who haven't visited that thread, come on over  ;D

I'm leaving now...to have some more Coke...

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #1549 on: August 19, 2010, 08:34:55 am »
Jan~
Just finished 1st GIRL book last night - I will drop it in the mail to you today if you want...It is a bit water crinkley - Addi splashed me - but fine to read...I have to get the 2nd...

LMK

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lizard

« Reply #1550 on: August 19, 2010, 11:56:45 am »
I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!!  Just saw the first movie the other day, all in subtitles but they did a great job.  Also heard that they're going to do English versions of them.....I'm so happy these books became so popular, because I've read them multiple times and can't get enough.  That Lisbeth...don't know what it is  :D
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1551 on: August 19, 2010, 03:15:47 pm »
Kay -

I actually got the 1st book today from a colleague; hope to start reading it soon.

But if you do get the 2nd book, please send it my way when you're done with it.

Thanks!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #1552 on: August 19, 2010, 08:03:58 pm »
Priscilla,
I read that the 4th manuscript is printed, but the rest are only partially complete.  It will be interesting to see if they allow another writer to complete them.  I am hoping what I read about the 4th getting the green light is accurate!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #1553 on: August 22, 2010, 08:12:30 pm »
Cindy,

I finished the book this afternoon...........ugh :'(

Soundy,

How far along are you?  I'm frustrated and I need to rant.........ugh :'(

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1554 on: August 24, 2010, 08:17:36 pm »
Today was the day the third & final book in The Hunger Game series was released.

I forgot to pre-order it from Amazon, so I'm hoping to pick it up somewhere (perhaps Walmart) this weekend if I have time.

Haven't had time to start the first "Girl" book yet, but hope to get to that too very soon.

Jan

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1555 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:27 am »
my third Hunger Game book should show up in next weeks book shipment at school ...pre-ordered it several months ago ...

Anne Marie ... I still haven't got Echos

and still haven't got Girl Who kicked a Hornets Nest form teacher who is a slow reader  :(

did read 2 books over weekend for  teachers ...

Who Ran My Underwear UP The Flag Pole ...Jerry Spinelli ....if you are a 4th grader it's OK ...

The Tiger Rising ...Kate DiCamilo ...sad tale of a boy who lost his mom to cancer and his dad because he is too busy grieving to know his sons needs him  , a girl who has lost her dad through divorce and thinks he will come back for her and fights and gets in trouble to prove her toughness and a tiger they find caged in the woods ... the tiger's death towards heals alot of wounds ...  6th or 7th grade reading

those are my reviews ... not that I expect anyone to read them ... just a hobby to pick up extra books for the girls ... the underwear one will be giving back to the 4th grade teacher who had me read it ... will keep Tiger Rising for the girls to read ... hey a free book is a free book  ;D

I need another book for me ... Echo is not at or little library yet so not even a list to get on ... and for now books are not in my budget
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Lizard

« Reply #1556 on: August 25, 2010, 07:18:42 am »
I was just recommended a book, haven't purchased it yet, but its called The art of Racing in The Rain (not sure of the author) and from what I've heard its told from the dog's perspective.  I LOVE all books about dogs and also heard it was very cute.  I'll let you know when I read it...perfect for the animal lovers out there  ;)
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Cheryl R

« Reply #1557 on: August 25, 2010, 08:04:10 am »
There is a column today in the Des Moines register about the popularity of the The Hunger Games series and now Mockingjay being out.   Adults are a large part of the readers and now with long lists of holds on it at libraries.                     Not my style but have a daughter who it is.               I just am done with The Girls from Ames  and liked it.            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

cindyj

« Reply #1558 on: August 25, 2010, 08:38:33 am »
Anne Marie, my reaction to Echo was very similar to yours...have read some on-line reviews and they were also in the same vein...

My sis-n-law's book club just read Pope Joan...she said it was very good and it sparked quite a bit of conversation/debate in their club...

I hope to get the 2nd in Hunger Games series from a friend this week.  May start the Girl series first, though?  Or...so many to choose from!  Thanks for all the recommendations you guys continue to make!

cindy
feeling great!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1559 on: August 25, 2010, 08:51:20 am »
I thought the library would have started checking Mockingjay out yesterday. I am third on the hold list and they have ordered five copies, so once the books are processed I should get one right away.

My family and I visited the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC this summer and I have been reading some recommended books. The subject material is difficult, but a couple that are well written are Boy in the Striped Pajamas and The True Story of Hansel and Gretel. I read another entitled Tzili: The Story of a Life, but it was just a bit too bizarre.

Is anyone else reading the Graceling series by Kristin Cashore? I just finished Fire, which is sort of a related prequel. A third novel, Bitterblue, is due out next year.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13