Author Topic: 4 weeks post op with many questions  (Read 3977 times)

wendysig

Re: 4 weeks post op with many questions
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 12:24:09 pm »
I also forgot to mention that before closing the skin, many doctors, mine included will place titanium mesh and/or plates over the cavity and secure them with with titanium straps and screws.  This replaces the mastoid bone and places constant pressure  on the surgical site, which also helps prevent CSF leaks.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 12:55:33 pm »
Wow!  The docs did all that during my surgery!  :o

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the surgery.  Although I read my operative reports, they certainly weren't as clear as that.

And "a scar is born"  :D  Very cute, Wendy!

Jan

. . . sorry for the hijack, Phyl  ;)

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 01:06:39 pm »
Jan,

I think they also stopped to clear the cobwebs out of your head while they were in there.   :D  They may have missed a few! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 01:26:53 pm »
Gee thanks for the compliment, Lori. 

I know I can always count on you!!  :D

OH NO!!!  A double hijack - Phyl is going to kill us  :o

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 05:04:23 pm »
Hi Jan --

I'm glad you liked my description of the translab  approach.  I'm sure I left some things out, it's been a while since I discussed thsi with my doc and I know some I left out some of the details.  I actually remember reading about the retrosigmond approach which I found equally interesting although I don't remember it as clearly.  I remember that while there were some similarities although  it was a little different, starting with the incision being a little further back.  If you're interested, I'll send it to you.  All in all, I'm pretty sure I remembered the general jist of what my doc told me about translab though.   I thought my "a scar is born" was rather clever too so I'm glad you liked that too!   ;D  I haven't yet gotten a copy of my operative report but plan to ask for a copy eventually.  I really find this stuff very interesting. 

Hexe --
Sorry for yet another hijack!   ;D  I hope my explanation answered most  of your questions.

Lori -- Cobwebs huh?  They must have been hanging out in the arachnoid meatus (somewhere around the dura I think -- do I sound like I know what I'm talking about?).   :P

Phyl - Forgive my sidesteps, just trying to cover all the bases!

Wendy 
Sorry Phyl
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Hexe

• New to this
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 05:39:08 pm »
Ok guys, thanks for all the information, support, and insider jokes. (in side'r head jokes?)
I love your scar is born too!
Do all the Dr.s put in all that metal stuff?
How do I get a copy of my operative report? just ask for it? I find this stuff very interesting too.
I don't get ''hijacks" jokes... Who you saying "hi"to? Jack? ..... I'm lost....
So, they made a C shaped incision behind my ear, then peeled my ear back?,....driilled a hole in my head...how big?...and then took a very small amount of belly fat (I told them to take lots more but they didn't listen)?...so do I still have a hole in my head? will it grow together again?...
I give up, all this info makes me dizzy!
Hexe
Hexe
Trans-lab 4 weeks ago. Ann Arbor MI, Dr Steven Telion. SSD, continued tiredness, problems with balance, dizziness, memory, double vision. Consider myself lucky my symptoms are few and not too disabling.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 05:55:21 pm »
tsk, tsk, tsk... didn't think I'd find this eh? ;)  Back on topic folks... thanks!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wendysig

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 06:15:11 pm »
Hi Hexe,

A hijack is when you ask another question or answer someone else's question on a thread originated by another person.  It can also be joking around too.

Not all docs use titanium mesh and plates and people who don't have this  eventually form an indentation behind their ear since there is no bone to put back when the translab approach is used and the bone that's been drilled away doesn't grow back. There is nothing wrong with this and is standard procedure for some docs.   I think most docs put the bone plate back for retrosigmoid and some will also use titanium mesh and straps to suppor it and apply pressure to the operative  site. I remember my doc saying that pretty much everyone  puts the bone plate back for middle fossa.  He didn't mention anyone using titanium mesh or plates for this approach either.  Only your doctor can tell you if you have titanium mesh and/or plates.  If you'd like a copy of your operative report you can ask you doc and I'm sure he will provide you with a copy.  I don't know if there is a standard size for the operative site.  I remember when I got statements from my insurance company my doctors both mentioned the repair of  a six centimeter defect in my skull, so I assume this is the size/area  of the hole that was drilled in my skull.  I seem to also remember someone mentioning that their doc used some kind of plastic instead of titanium.  Maybe someone else will have something to say about this.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 07:40:45 pm »
Yeah, I had something like spackle.  Or at least in my drugged haze that's the explanation I remember.  I will ask at my next follow-up.
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 08:42:00 pm »
Hi Hexe! 

I see you have a good sense of humor!  You'll fit in well around here!

I had translab and have no spackle or mesh or bungee cords or anything else fancy.  Just a hole in my skull.  My doctor doesn't (or at least didn't in my case) put the piece of bone back - just filled it in with the abdominal fat (he didn't take enough of that either, if you ask me!).  There is an indent there, but it's completely behind my ear so you don't see it.  I like to think that I not only got free liposuction, but I probably lost a few ounces with that hunk of bone gone now.  :D  I like to try to put a positive spin on things!

As far as  your operative report, just ask your doc for it.  Or more likely, the nurse that will be doing the photocopying.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 12:09:21 am »
Damn, Phyl found us faster than I thought she would  ::)

Hexe -

I have "all that metal stuff" in my head, plus a BAHA implant (a titanium rod sunken into my skull).  Lori and Wendy have the implant, too.

I am also a fat-head - which means I had the fat graft from my abdomen.

My operative reports were somewhat over my head (lots of medical terminology) but I found them fascinating.

Jan