Author Topic: Both barrels ?  (Read 2001 times)

tony

Both barrels ?
« on: October 12, 2007, 01:34:20 pm »
Not sure if this should be
"A place to vent ?" or "Next time I`ll thump him !" - we shall see
I have to make cold calls as part of the job
not my favourite bit - but there it is..
Guy on the phone yesterday very spiteful (rude and LOUD)
"well let me guess, youre about 22yrs old
and spend youre time pestering the likes of me rant etc rant etc "
"Anyway he says, why are you doing this !!!???"
I admitt I LOST IT........
"Because I am a 47 yrs old International Sales Manager
who is mostly deaf, partially crippled, recovering from 8 surgeries !!!!!"
"Was that the answer you were expecting ....???"
there was a faint sound of someone eating a horse-sized
portion of......Humble Pie.....Ohh..SSSoorrryyy
Amazingly sometimes you do seem to have to stamp youre feet
Best Regards
Tony
PS AN`s make you irritable ?
nah, not me guv`nor.....

satman

Re: Both barrels ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:37:22 pm »
Hi Tony,
Let'em have it !
younger people are disrespectful as hell,
to bad you cant snatch them up by the neck through the phone.
You should have re-loaded ,
they dont have the balls face to face,I wish I could be so lucky.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 06:47:15 pm »
Tony -

some people are just naturally jerks.  Good for you for letting him have it both barrels.
Maybe he'll think twice next time he's tempted to say something nasty to someone he really doesn't know.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 02:13:54 pm »
Hi, Tony:

While I don't generally condone rude behavior, in this instance I think you were justified, although describing yourself as you did (age, position, handicaps and surgical count) in a quiet and controlled tone (through clenched teeth, as it were) might have been even more devastating to the boor who irked you to the point of 'losing it'.  I say this as one who has watched my supernaturally patient and sweet-natured wife get great results from clods on the telephone - often medical insurance 'customer service representatives' - by remaining calm and controlled while essentially telling them they are a bunch of idiots and to put someone on the phone who has a brain and knows what they're doing.   She's amazing.  She also gets results. 

Me?  I raise my voice, tell them they're all dithering morons - and hang up.  Unfortunately, this leaves me with the same problem I called about and probably a notation on my file about being 'hostile' or possibly 'deranged'.  Besides, with modern, portable, one-piece, push-button telephones, the great satisfaction of slamming down the receiver is gone - and I really miss it.  Forcefully pushing the 'off' button is nowhere near as (emotionally) rewarding.  I know, as I've done it....more than once.

Anyway, good for you, Tony.  One hopes that there will now be one less telephone-boor in the world because of your actions  Besides, I'm sure you felt a lot better after that heated exchange.  I would. 

Jim
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 03:49:40 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 08:14:58 pm »
Tony,
  Sounds quite cathartic.  Dont'cha wish we could put a video of his facial reaction on utube?
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 09:48:52 pm »
Tony,

My buttons bursted with pride!  You said, very eloquently, the things I say  very abuptly and rudely.  Three Cheers for Tony!  I hope you said Best regards before you hung up!

Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT