Author Topic: Friend who has a tumor....  (Read 2463 times)

TP

Friend who has a tumor....
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:29:19 pm »
Hi it has been a while since I have posted. However, my best friend's sister has a brain tumor. It appears it started with numbness in her right foot and leg, they ordered an MRI and she saw a neurosurgeon, appears the MRI was not real clear and another one is scheduled for May 6. The Dr's have provided her with other Dr's to get a second opinion. I asked my friend where the tumor is located and the size, here is her post:

It is 3.6 cm about the size of a quarter they said.  They did the MRI with and without contrast the first time but the surgeon explained they just show a slice and skip a slice and this new MRI will be a complete picture of everything.  It is in the left inferior putamen extending into the external capsule with mild mass effect on the amygdale there is hyperintense mass effect.  Moderate mass effect on the inferolateral putamen is noted.
The surgeon said that the tumor is on the left side in the communication center part of the brain.

I know many of you are gifted with a great deal of knowledge. I know most of you are not Dr's but when I read what my friend provided me it is all greek to me. Can any of you explain, I can't go back to her and asked for details so I appreciate any input you can share. Thanks!!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Friend who has a tumor....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:11:24 pm »
TP ~

The putamen is a round structure located at the base of the forebrain.  The amygdala is within the temporal lobe and is part of the limbic system.  Inferolateral simply means below and to one side. 

With the strict caveat that I'm not a doctor (and could be wrong) I surmise that the tumor is deep within her brain.  Whether it is operable will be the most important question.  If not, can it be addressed with radiation or chemotherapy?  This is obviously a serious situation and I will keep this lady in my prayers.   

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TP

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 03:33:51 pm »
Jim, thank you so much and what you just stated is what I think is the problem, it is deep in the brain. My friends (we are friends from high school) we have been praying for her and we felt something just didn't seem right so when I pushed a little to get more info my friend passed that info along. Her sisters only sympton was numbness in her right foot and leg and the dr ordered a brain MRI which we thought seemed sorta strange, we would thought it was a spine issue.

Again, thank you for your quick reply. I knew you would have some insight with these complicated symptons (I understand you are not a Dr but you sure explain stuff better than most people I know!!)
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 03:47:19 pm »
Hi TP,

It sounds as if your friend has a tumor deep in the brain. I would find an endoscopic (vs. traditional) surgeon who would advise if that tumor can be taken out. The reason for endoscopy is that the incision is small and usually they can reach anywhere in the brain without taking it apart. This is in contrast to the traditional microsurgery that has to take a lot of the skull off and push the brain apart to reach inside or create monstrous cuts some place else, let's say palate (in the mouth) to get to the tumor. I had my first surgery in 1988 when only traditional techniques have been available and spent over 30 days in the hospital with primarily pituitary patients. I am not even going to describe the horrors of that surgery. Nowadays most (but unfortunately not all) pituitary surgeries are done endoscopically which is infinitely easier on the patient and all of a sudden this type of surgery went from horrendous to easier-than--AN procedure. Just like any surgery, it can work out or not and the surgeon might or might not have an experience.

I would also ask what kind of tumor is this since the rate of growth and prognosis can be very different depending on what it is. Some of them do not even grow so your friend might not  have to do anything about it. Sometimes they can telll just by looking at the MRI film because the shape is very characteristic.

Finally, I would also find out what types of radiation can work and what the process entails. This might be easier and more effective than surgery but one can only reach that conclusion after some serious research.

Best of luck,

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

TP

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:44:40 am »
HI Eve, thank you for the reply. Very good info. I've shared with my friend both yours and Jim's reply. Thank you so much!