Author Topic: AN IS STABLE!!  (Read 3534 times)

GaleWynne

AN IS STABLE!!
« on: August 12, 2015, 06:47:35 pm »
Hello - My 2 year MRI followup shows NO GROWTH, still just under 2MM AN. 

What I have I been doing? Continued getting regular massages (every 2 weeks now instead of every week), using facial products that contain the helichysthum (sp) extract (L'Occitane brand), drinking lots of water, avoiding dental X-rays, increased my walking on my treadmill (helps circulation). I have also tried to not stress so much over things in general, get proper sleep, and stay balanced (ha ha). I haven't used essential oils quite as much as I did in the beginning, but the facial products I use have the extract in them.  Another plus - my skin looks pretty good!

I still have my whooshing in my right ear, but my vision problems that I had before  - they have really gone away.  I even discussing that with my eye doctor a couple weeks ago during my annual checkup. I was wearing sunglasses in stores with certain lighting, I was having issues with patterns/things moving, I was having problems walking on shiny surfaces, all of that has gone away over time.

I believe the tumor is a result of inflammation, and increasing the circulation to that area is helpful. Also, I know there was a country (I think Hungary or  Finland) where they examined the brains of people after they died and found that many had small ANs that they didn't even know about.  So, I keep hoping that I will fall into this category.

Also, considering my sister went from bad to worse in a 6 month span and had surgery, I had my symptoms kick in around Jan 2011, the diagnosis around May 2011, more symptoms in June 2011…continuing for a while, and then….things started slowly getting better (some of it may have been anxiety too, that is definitely a problem to weed out what is the tumor and what is anxiety), and then I would say 2014 and into 2015, I haven't even thought about it much on a daily basis (even though I have this whooshing still on a daily basis).  So, it's been over 4.5 years for me  since I started having symptoms and so far, so good.  I was fearing I would be having surgery within 2 years of the diagnosis.  Wow, I haven't even thought about it in this way, now I feel like I have already won! 

My neurosurgeon wants to do another MRI in 2 years  and then after that if it is still stable, go to 3 to 4 year intervals.  I also shared with him the article in the recent AN newsletter about aspirin/COX-2 helping with ANs.  He said I was a bit too young (I'm going to be 48) to take aspirin on a daily basis and I don't have any issues that required Celebrax (CO-2) but was open to discussing this in case my AN starts growing.

Also, this is interesting - I discussed dental X-rays with him again, and he discouraged getting them.  So, I'm sure my dentist will still be mad but I don't care it's my head not his. My sister had gotten a full set of dental X-rays a couple months prior to having her symptoms surface.  And I had gotten a full set as well, we are really wondering about timing. Maybe Dr. Claus study will prove something. I have had NO DENTAL XRAYS since being diagnosed with the AN (and my teeth haven't rotted out either…also, I would prefer a root canal, and I hate getting dental work done, to having AN surgery). 

Between getting a job promotion the week before and having this result, I feel like I should play the lottery next.

YEAH! 
Sister 3MM surgically removed 11/2001.
Me - Tinnitus Jan 2011. MRI April 2011 almost 2MM AN.  Symptoms increased June 2011; MRI over 2MM AN July 2011. July 2012 MRI: AN now 2 MM which ties to symptom decline. July 2013 MRI: barely 2MM Aug 2015: STABLE Aug 2017: STABLE Oct 2019: STABLE!

bethtretrault

Re: AN IS STABLE!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:31:55 am »
That is great news! I have not had dental X-rays since the Dx either and they make me sign a Waiver every time I get my teeth cleaned. Mine has grown, unfortunately, so will have surgery in November.
beth
12/2013 5mmx4mmx4mm left
tinnitus, w&w
5/2015 7mm-louder tinnitus, occasional dizziness
retro sigmoid 11/2015

Gearbox123

Re: AN IS STABLE!!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 05:28:11 pm »
Hi Gale, I am very happy to hear that your A.N is stable. I remember you and your Sister, were great help to me the 1st few months of getting diagnosed. My tumor is still small @5 m m, but like you and some others with  small A.N's the fullness, headaches, dizziness a.k.a balance issues, still remain. I was also diagnosed with a condition called Dystonia which I still believe is caused by my A.N, but can not argue with the Doctors anymore, there is no use, besides some of my movements are not consistent with an A.N.   I have to thank you and sister again for your help . I apologize for not keeping touch, but besides my health issues my personal life has taken a hit also.  I am sure you can get the picture. Not everyone can take on the supporting role of a caregiver . The good news is that like you and your Sister I don't give up . I keep a positive attitude and will continue on. Some medication has suppressed my movements and I continue to work on using my balance exercises to strengthen my core. I'm currently out of work on worker's compensation due shoulder surgery,  but will be looking to get full disability in next few weeks. I hope your A.N continues to stay stable and both of your sisters remain healthy . All the best.