Author Topic: Scared about Pre-surgical Health Issues  (Read 2161 times)

LizAN

Scared about Pre-surgical Health Issues
« on: May 14, 2012, 11:07:43 pm »
I asked Dr. Slattery about recovery from surgery, for those of us who have existing auto-immune issues.  He said that this surgery does not cause people to go into long flares, and that I would be able to talk with the internist about my concerns.  Is there anyone on this list who has lupus or a related AI problem who managed to recover from the surgery without a major flare that was difficult to control?  With all the steroids that I'll be taking, maybe it's not an issue, but I'm more than a little scared right now, as I will be doing this with no disability insurance in place.  Working is about all I manage to do these days.  Speaking of which, I'm up way past my bedtime.  Having a hard time sleeping with all of the anxiety about this.

Going to bed now.  'Night!

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

LizAN

Re: Scared about Pre-surgical Health Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:52:37 pm »
I asked Dr. Slattery about recovery from surgery, for those of us who have existing auto-immune issues.  He said that this surgery does not cause people to go into long flares, and that I would be able to talk with the internist about my concerns.  Is there anyone on this list who has lupus or a related AI problem who managed to recover from the surgery without a major flare that was difficult to control?  With all the steroids that I'll be taking, maybe it's not an issue, but I'm more than a little scared right now, as I will be doing this with no disability insurance in place.  Working is about all I manage to do these days.  Speaking of which, I'm up way past my bedtime.  Having a hard time sleeping with all of the anxiety about this.

Going to bed now.  'Night!

Liz

Anyone with lupus or RA or another autoimmune disorder had this surgery?  How was your recovery?

Up past my bedtime, worrying, again...

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz