Author Topic: Anybody, diagnosed at age 63 and have any advice?  (Read 1919 times)

Boppie

Anybody, diagnosed at age 63 and have any advice?
« on: October 19, 2005, 06:03:34 pm »
I'd like to hear from other patients in my age group who have had successes with Translab surgery.  My doctor tells me my general good heallth might make me a candidate.  I have 65% hearing loss on right side and tinnitus.  No facial problems but a few headaches,  dizzyness in the distant past and long before I noticed any hearing loss.  Only experienced the db loss for past 3 and a half years.  A month ago I was disgnosed by MRI with a 20mm by 15mm pear shaped AN extending into the posterior fossa.  I have a consult with the neuro November 7. I'd like to hear from others in my situation. 

Jeff

Re: Anybody, diagnosed at age 63 and have any advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 07:10:48 pm »
My father recently had surgery via translab at the age of 63. He too is in good physical condition. His surgery started in the late afternoon, finished about 11:00 pm, and he was up and walking after having breakfast the next morning. His hospital stay was 3 days and he is now doing very well 7 months later. I hope this helps.
Jeff
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 09:39:15 pm by Jeff »
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

okiesandy

Re: Anybody, diagnosed at age 63 and have any advice?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 05:26:06 am »
Hey Boopie,

I was 63 when diag. That was in April. I have not had surgery yet. Was sched. @HEI for Nov. 8th. Thanks to my insurance not allowing me to go out of network that has been canceled. Then I decided to take wait and watch apporch til turning 65.  That didn't work because my AN turned cystic and is growing. Dr. Brackmann with HEI said surgery with an experienced surgeon should not pose any problem. He is mature also and understands this fear. I think mid 70's is what is ment by to old to have surgery

Dr. Rush that posts on this site was 61 and had trans lab. He is doing great. No you are not alone at your age. I am taking another approch If I can get andything from my ins co. I will pay the rest of the cost to go to house. If not I will have CK fractionated. Feel free to email me and I can reassure you I have been in touch with severl this age and older.
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)