Author Topic: Cannot Taste Sweets  (Read 3443 times)

MSchmit

Cannot Taste Sweets
« on: May 19, 2016, 01:26:14 pm »
Am just over a week out from surgery to remove left side AN (retrosigmoid approach). As expected, I lost the hearing on my left side. One thing I wasn't expecting was the changes to my sense of taste. I cannot taste anything sweet. Soda, tomato sauce, licorice, have absolutely no flavor. I can however taste every grain of salt in anything I eat. Does anyone else have experience with this?  Did your taste eventually return to normal?  How long did it take?
Left Side AN 2.2 cm
Removed Retrosigmoid Approach May 2016
Johns Hopkins (Lim/Carey)

Greece Lover

Re: Cannot Taste Sweets
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 02:31:13 pm »
My doc said this can happen and it usually resolves in a few months. Mine was 10 days ago and I've got it a little bit.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:03:52 pm »
It happened to me as a long-term phenomenon. Six years later I still only about 60% ability to taste sugars. I'm also an extreme case with a 32-hour surgery, so you might want to take my experience with a grain or two of salt.

Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Rhcdad

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 06:07:10 am »
I am 7 months post surgery and my sense of taste if far from good, It was worse earlier and seems at times to get a little better but then I will have taste issues. I am guessing mine will always be messed up. I am accepting it as the the new normal and knowing that there are far greater problems associated with recovery. Stay Strong!
2.54 cm tumor
TransLab @ House Clinic
Surgery 10/27/15
Numerous Post Surgery Issues

rupert

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 08:18:33 pm »
My taste was skewed 3-4 years before I was diagnosed.  It would come and go and of course I had no idea that I had an AN at that time.    Sometimes there was  a burning feeling on the tip of my tongue and some foods would taste completely normal and others would taste awful.   A lot of food tasted  like wet cardboard,  and certain soft drinks would taste so bad you couldn't drink them.  Then it would go away for a while.  I had the dreaded metallic taste only once or twice.   Thankfully, I have not had these issues since the GK procedure 6 years ago.  Once in a great while I will get a very mild burning sensation on my tongue but the taste issues have resolved.  So, you can develop taste issues both before and after treatment.

DizzyMamaIL

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 10:53:42 am »
I had a strange taste issue where everything tasted like cheap chemicals - the only way I can think to describe it that only happened twice so far during the first and second weeks of my IMRT and only for a few hours when I was sleep-deprived and my baby had woken me in the middle of the night for a feeding. Hopefully that wasn't a sign of things to come.
February 2012 - first doctor visit for vertigo
January 2015 - sudden hearing loss
January 2016 - dx AN 1.1 cm x 2 cm
May 2016 - radiation; June 2016 to present - headaches, vertigo; October 2016 - one episode of facial paralysis