Author Topic: For those of you who had CK at Stanford, where did you stay that week?  (Read 4277 times)

Tisha

I'm starting to look into hotels and was wondering what everyone else did?  Any recommendations.  I suppose since we're there for a week, it makes sense to rent a car.  Should I stay close to the facility, or does it really matter.  I'm not a bit familiar with the area. 

Thanks  Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

Anomar11

Re: For those of you who had CK at Stanford, where did you stay that week?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 05:59:08 pm »
Tisha,
I had treatment there the week of Nov 10 and stayed at the Super 8 on El Camino Drive.  I'm not too fussy, and wanted something $100.00 or less.  This was o.k. It had a little kitehenette with a mircrowave and fridge and a modified continential breakfast with 2 types cereal, sweet rolls, fruit, muffins and juice.  The coffee was good.  My only complaint was that the carpet didn't seem the cleanest, otherwise the room was quite clean.  I checked out the Comfort Inn down the street which was a comparable price and it is newer and seemed a bit nicer.  I happened to pick up a card and their local number is 650 493 3141.  You have to call them direct vs the 800 reservation number, and tell them you want Stanford rates.  You can get this $98 rate at Super 8 by calling their 800 reservation number found on line.  We also got a car and were glad we did afterall.  We flew in from Michigan to San Francisco and it's about 30 miles to Palo Alto.   By the time we paid for transportation to and from ithe airport, it about covered a car rental.  The Margaurite shuttle is free and will take you to Stanford but it's a bit of a walk from these hotels to get the shuttle.  These hotels are about 2- 2.5 miles from the clinic.  The scheduling folks at Stanford can also send you a listing of hotels if you request it.  All the best to you.  I feel I made the right decision for me.  I know it's early in the game for me but I'm a little over 4 weeks out and feel quite well.  The fatique over the first week or so wasn't bad.  So far this is the only effect.  Let me know if I can be of further help.   Mona
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:24:44 pm »
I stayed with my friend Gene in San Francisco - highly recommended, if you know him. ;D

He let me use one of his cars to drive down to Stanford every day, and generally took care of everything - I just paid for stuff sometimes. The only busy day was the day before my first treatment, when I had scans and other tests, starting early in the morning. The three treatment days I went in around noon, got zapped at one, headed home at two. I wish work was like that. Having a cell phone helps, so they can call you with schedule changes.

Not much help, in other words. You don't need to be close, though, and having a car would make sight seeing and other activities easier to do. Just think of it as a mini-vacation.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tisha

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 05:04:13 am »
Anomar11,

Thanks for all the info.  I also saw that San Jose is a fairly good size airport and may actually be closer to Stanford Hospital.  I"ll talk to the coordinators about that.  I also would like to stay at around $100.  I found Holiday Inn Express close to that amount, too.  I also agree that renting a car makes sense, as I would love to sight see.  Also, thanks for the comment about Napa.  I don't think January is probably the best time to go anyway, to really get the feel.

Tisha

fbarbera

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:25:16 am »
The treatment scheduler at Stanford has a list of nearby hotels, including places that offer discounts to patients.  Might be a good resource to start with.  Francesco

Tisha

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 01:02:17 pm »
Thanks.  I just got a call today and my insurance authorization has gone thru!  Another surprise is that it's considered in-network.  I thought I was going to have to pay out of network expense!  Big bonus.  It looks like 1/12/09 is my week.  I'm nervous and excited at the same time.  I'm thrilled air prices are low right now.

Tisha

Kabe

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:28:03 pm »
Hi Tisha,

Congrats on making your decision. I'm sure it work work out just fine for you.  I'm a newbie but I travel extensively for work.  There are many options for hotels in that area.  San Jose is closer than SF.  Depending on how long you actually stay, you might want to consider an extended stay type hotel (Residence Inn, Extended Stay America etc...).  It's basically a small apartment with a kitchen.  As far as cost - check out many of the travel websites. Also consider coupon books like "Entertainment" www.entertainment.com .  The book costs anywhere from $20 - $30 but offers some hotels at 50% the normal rate (there are blackout dates but Jan. is prob a good time).  I've also had good luck using hotwire.com for car rentals.  They use the major companies like Hertz and Avis and you get so see the rate before you reserve.  Caution - read the fine print before you reserve as many are pre-pay (so you pay for it up front regardless of if you actually use it).

As for Napa etc.. - I thnk January would be fine for a little sightseeing if you're up to it.  It will be cool at night but the weather is otherwise pretty good.  Realize though that you'll be @ 150 miles away.  Sonoma Co. (Santa Rosa area) is also nice. There are many wine tours etc...  Obviously you'd want to do this before your surgery. 

Most importantly - I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is swift!

Mike.

Tisha

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 07:41:21 am »
Thanks Mike and everyone for all the tips.  Well, I'm getting ready to make my airline reservations.  I mapquested both SF and SJ airports to the facility and it is exactly in the middle.  So, I read SJ is 1/3 the size of SF (airports).   For those of you who know about them, which one is easier as far as getting around and the drive to Palo Alto.  It would seem that the smaller airport and city would be the least troublesome, but I don't know.  Please, any suggestions?

Tisha

Kabe

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 09:14:25 am »
Tisha,

San Jose is a MUCH smaller airport than SFO.  There will very likely be more options in and out of SFO and, despite it's size, I usually don't have issues getting in an out.  You'll have to get on an airport train to get the the car rental facility.  It can be a little confusing leaving the airport.  You'll want to head south on US101 - just follow the signs.  If you use San Jose, you'll get on a bus to the rental car location.  Either way it's a relatively short drive to Palo Alto.  101 can get backed up depending on the time of day.  Where are you coming in from?

Mike.

Tisha

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 10:03:52 am »
Thanks Mike.  I went ahead and made my reservations to SF.  I got online for airport reviews from flyers.  SJ got some lousy reviews, SF received many good ones, so I booked there $466 for 2 of us.  I thought that was pretty good since w'ere located in the midwest.

NE Farmwife

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 12:54:02 pm »
I, too have made an appointment for CK at Stanford the week of January 12.  I found out yesterday that my insurance had approved my treatment so I am ready to make my plane reservations as well.  So it looks like our paths will may cross at some point.  Did you make your motel reservations yet?  I am waiting for my information packet (I think is is sent by email) to be sent out from Stanford.  We are also from the midwest and will probably be flying out of Lincoln or Omaha, Nebraska, on Sunday, January 12.  At least the weather will be better than what we are having!
Diagnosed 11/11/2008   2.2 cm
CK at Stanford 01/12/2008
Facial numbness, hearing loss, lack of taste and tinnitis

Tisha

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 03:55:35 pm »
Hi NEfarmwife!

Yesterday when Scarlett called she said there was another out of towner that week, so it must be you!  Like I said, I made my plane reservations this morning and will be flying the Saturday before.  At work this morning, Scarlett sent me an email with the schedule each day, but is sending me a packet.  She also emailed hotels.  I took the advice of the Anomar11 and booked a room at the Comfort Inn, they were not of the list that Scarlett sent for some reason.  They do have a Stanford rate of $76/night plus 12% hotel tax.  I also booked at the Hilton Express Inn, but after reading some reviews that it's right next to the highway and fairly loud I'm cancelling it.  There are many nicer hotels I'd rather stay at, but they are running $150+ and I"m just trying to keep costs down since it's not a vacation.  I'm sure we'll be running into each other there.  We''ll have to keep in touch.

tisha

Tisha

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 12:54:01 pm »
Mike (Kabe),

Do you know why the Hotwire rates are so much lower.  For the week, I'm being quoted about $169 for a mid-sized car.   When I check the rates to just pick it up at the SF airport at a major company, it's like $239, or something, quite a bit of difference.  Is it just because you are prepaying, and do I get some sort of confirmation from the agency at the airport, etc.    I guess I"m just a bit apprehensive of using something where I'm not sure how it works.

Thanks

tisha

NE Farmwife

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 06:42:14 pm »
Tisha:

I rented a full size car today on Priceline along with making my airline reservation.  We rented a full-size car with unlimited mileage from Alamo.  The price for the week was $100.08 plus $46.37 for taxes and fees.  After talking to our car insurance agent today, he said the take the car rental place up on their insurance.  We are covered with ours but if you have an accident, the rental company charges you for the days that the car is out of service as well as having our insurance company pay for the service.  I don't know what the insurance cost is for a rental car.  I guess I will find out tomorrow.
Diagnosed 11/11/2008   2.2 cm
CK at Stanford 01/12/2008
Facial numbness, hearing loss, lack of taste and tinnitis

Tisha

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 07:06:31 am »
You got a great rate, probably because you booked it with your flight.  I booked our flight directly with the airline, I don't remember if they offered car rental at the time of booking.

Anyway, I went ahead and booked at Hotwire, and it's with National.  7 days, total cost of $169, but only for a mid-size.   I went back to the agencies, and it would have been $320 if I picked it up at the airport, so I'm happy.

I think I'm set...airline e-tickets, hotel and now car.   Don't forget you can get your boarding pass online 24 hours before departure.  My husband read that they are really overbooking flights lately and if you are bumped, it can take days to get out.  NOT what we want to happen.

Tisha