Author Topic: BAHA experience  (Read 10200 times)

Dave_S121

BAHA experience
« on: March 26, 2005, 11:09:31 am »
I got my BAHA sound processor on March 8th and want to relate my experience.  The BAHA has helped but not as dramaticly as I had hoped for.  I have noticed improvement in my ability to follow conversation in both quiet and noisy environments.  My friends and co-workers have also mentioned that I am better able to hear them.  I had a 2.2cm AN removed by translab on Oct. 20th, 2004, thus the reason for the BAHA.  Prior to my loss of hearing in my right ear, which became most noticable starting in March 2002, the right ear was my dominant ear.  I have high pitch hearing loss in my left ear.  I am seeing the audiologist again in April about a hearing aid for my left, now good, ear.  Does anyone have experience with a BAHA on one side and hearing aid on the other? 

Thanks in advance for any follow-up experiences.

Dave Skaja
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

Pembo

Re: BAHA experience
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 10:53:50 am »
HI Dave. I went yesterday to get the "trial headband". I expected a huge difference but it just felt normal again to hear. The results of my audiology exam were awesome though.

Can you tell me more about the implant surgery? I'm not feeling very confident on the idea of a thing in my head.
Thanks.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Dave_S121

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 03:52:15 am »
Hi Pembo.  Normally the surgery to have the titaum bolt put into you head is an outpatient surgery, but I had mine done the same time I had my AN removed.  Basicly what they do is they remove all but 1 layer of skin for about a 1 1/2 inch square behind your ear.  You will be bald there, but it is small enough of an area that your hair will grow over and cover it.  Once they place the implant in your skull they wait 3 months before giving you the processor.  That's to let your skull bone litterally "grow" into the titaum bolt.  I call the square area my "pot hole" in my skull.  Since it's a little indentation the bolt doesn't actually stick out from your skull, but is flush.  You have to take care of the area during the 3 months time, but once the bandages are removed I didn't notice it at all.  As for the sound processor again after a few days you get used to it being there.  I have no discomfort at all from either the procedure or having the sound processor.  I have notice an improvement and am glad to have had the procedure done.  I got fitted on Wednesday for a hearing aid in my now good ear due to high frequency hearing loss in that ear.  That should help even more, but again, nothing can take the place of natural hearing.  If you have any other questions please feel free to let me know.

Dave
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 05:58:11 pm »
Thanks Dave. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

nanahoney

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 02:19:00 pm »
I had AN surgery three years ago April 30th.  I have had a remarkable recovery.  Except for being deaf in my left ear, a hum-like tinnitus and occassional balance problem I am doing great.  I have had a difficult time adjusting to hearing loss.  I miss my hearing especially at work.  I am just beginning to consider looking into BAHA.  Would like imput from any who have already had implant.

Thanks

Wanda

Dave_S121

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 05:37:12 pm »
Wanda; I have had my BAHA for about 1 1/2 months now.  I have noticed a difference for the better, not as dramatic as I had hoped for, but I do notice when I don't have my processor attached or turned off.  I wonder if that's because I have high frequency hearing loss in my left, now good, ear.  I was fitted for a Canta7 hearing aid and got that last Friday.  The difference has been remarkable.  I think the Canta is the lastest in digital technology for hearing aid and I have really noticed an improvement.  That coupled with my BAHA has really made a dramatic difference for me. 

Dave Skaja
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan

alisaandree

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 06:06:34 am »
Hi All,
Three people who posted to this message all reported high pitched hearing loss in their good ear. Why is that?
Please reply,
Alisa Andree

Dave_S121

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 07:16:53 am »
Alisa;  My high frequence hearing loss is not related to my AN.  I have had that problem for a number of years before the discovery of my tumor in July 2004.  Through my work I have a physical exam every 4 years.  Those exams have shown an increase high frequency sound loss over the years in my left ear.  Up until March 2002 my right ear had been my good ear.  Without going into a lot of details I had a sudden loss of hearing in my right ear in March 2002.  June 2001 was the last year I had a hearing test through work.  At that time my high frequency hearing in my right ear was almost perfect, with moderate loss in my left ear.  June 2002 a test showed I had significant high frequency loss in my right ear that I thought was due to a training accident in March 2002.  (I'm a police officer and a gun was discharged by accident close to my right ear in training.)  Since my right ear had been my "good" ear it has been frustrating have to depend on my left ear, or "bad" ear.  The hearing aid has helped a lot.  I'm not sure what has caused my high frequency hearing loss in my left ear over the years.   My sisters blame all the Led Zepplin I used to listen to on my head phone  growing up, lol.  When I was in the Marine Corp I was assigned to listen to manual Morse Code on head phones.  I'm sure that took a toll.  It could also be just a result of growing older. 
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan

LaurieK

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 10:50:31 am »
I had translab surgery May 2003, with BAHA implant 10/03..sound processor in Jan 04... I wouldnt be without it !   I still have tinnitus in my deaf ear...however, not in my good ear AND NOT RELATED to the BAHA.

No BAHA is not as perfect as my prior hearing, no hearing aid is but I thank God and my doctors for the improvements BAHA has added ...few people understand how SSD affects your daily life....and BAHA has surely improved mine. 

Entific will  release a digital sound processor in July this year....and I expect it to continue to improve yearly.

Laurie

rntiggergirl

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 05:29:30 pm »
Hi
I had the BAHA surgery 4/04 and recieved my processor 6/04. I have had good results from the BAHA. It is not perfect but is much better than no hearing at all on the left side. I was not able to work as a nurse without the BAHA and now I am able to work very comfortably. Also it get better with time, as the bone grows more into the implant and your brain gets used to the sound. I can hear much better now,  than I could last June and I am starting to be able to determine where the sound is coming from better.
Also Entific is coming out with a digital sound processor in July 2005 called the "devino", so the company is still working to improve the product also.  The surgery is not bad, it takes 30-45 minutes and I had it done without sedation, they just numbed my head.
I do not notice the BAHA processor when I am wearing it anymore, it just becomes a part of you. no one knows its there because my hair covers it ( and I have short hair).

Cheryl

DetSgt224

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 09:05:39 pm »
Does anyone have a picture of themself with the implant?  I have pretty short hair and would be conscious of it being visible; even behind my ear.  Also I'm concerned about the price.  It sounds very expensive.

Travis

annmarie

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 02:08:57 pm »
You can get more info and pictures of individuals wearing the BAHA on the Entific website

http://www.entific.com

nanahoney

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 08:02:43 am »
This might be a silly question, but here goes.  Can you listen to the telephone on the side your Baha is on.  I assume no, but a friend asked me that yesterday and I said no. 

Also as anyone used or heard of any doctors that do Baha procedure in Houston or Corpus Christi.  I am half way between these 2 cities

Dave_S121

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 09:26:12 am »
I'm told that you can place the telephone to your BAHA and listen.  I have not tried it since even before my SSD I used my left, non-AN ear, on the telephone. 

I checked the Entific web site, here is a partial list of clinics in Corpus Christi and Houston:

Corpus Christi-ENT Associates, tx. 361-855-3000 web site:  www.entassociates.com

Houston- Houston ENT Clinic, tx. 713-461-2626 web site www.houstonent.com

Houston-University of Texas-Houston, Dr. Chang, tx. 713-704-4754

Houston-Medical Center ENT, tx.  713-795-0111 web site www.mcenta.com

Hope this helps.
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan

jenifyer

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 04:12:28 am »

hello everyone,
i am exactly one week post-op today.  i had my second surgery to remove my AN translab this time.  my doctor had told me about the BAHA and that i might need to be prepared to fight my insurance company to be able to get it.  i found out yesterday that they already approved me!  i don't feel ready right now to have the procedure but i do want it.  can anyone give me their input as to what the procedure is like and will it be worth it?  thanks,
jennifer