Author Topic: Surgery or Gamma Knife  (Read 3761 times)

David

Surgery or Gamma Knife
« on: May 17, 2005, 04:56:13 pm »
I met with the surgeon who would perform the microsurgery last week at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. I am meeting with the Dr. who would perform Gamma Knife next week at the same hospital. The surgeon tells me my tumor is a little more than 1/2 inch in size. He prefers to do the translab approach as it gives him a better view for removal, but tells me this will compromise my hearing in that ear. My hearing is probably about 50 to 60% in that ear now. He also told me of the possible complications from surgery, such as facial paralysis, unsteady gait, etc. I really dont know how to come to a decision on this. How do you find information on neurosurgeons, hospitals, etc. Any help from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated.

littlemissrory

Re: Surgery or Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 05:51:53 pm »
Hi David

Fortunately with an AN you don't usually need to rush into any decision.  The most important thing is to feel comfortable and confident in the surgeons you choose.  Many people on this site love House Clinic- I hope someone will talk with you about their experience (there is also alot in this forum already about them).   I myself went with Dr Charles Mangham at Seattle Ear Clinic because I felt he was the perfect surgeon for me, and he came highly recommended by another surgeon in Washington that does AN's.  His approach was Retrosigmoid Surgery on my 8x6x5mm tumor.  I lost no hearing, have no facial paralysis and did not lose the balance nerve.

I had my surgery one month after finding the tumor- as soon as I met him I had no doubt.  I wish the same for you, meet the surgeon-then decide.  Good luck to you,  I hope you feel as good as I do afterwards.

Rory

Russ

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 09:50:27 pm »
Oh my; David!
  To give up that much hearing for such a small tumor?? I would get another opinion re: Middle Fossa. HEI has the best record in this and John Hopkins Radiosurgery the best for FSR.
  One sided hearing and balance is a great hindrance for some. Not sure your age but what if down the road something happened to the other ear?
  Best wishes for the wisest choice!
  Russ

PS  Some Drs just love translab because it's easiest FOR THEM!

I met with the surgeon who would perform the microsurgery last week at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. I am meeting with the Dr. who would perform Gamma Knife next week at the same hospital. The surgeon tells me my tumor is a little more than 1/2 inch in size. He prefers to do the translab approach as it gives him a better view for removal, but tells me this will compromise my hearing in that ear. My hearing is probably about 50 to 60% in that ear now. He also told me of the possible complications from surgery, such as facial paralysis, unsteady gait, etc. I really dont know how to come to a decision on this. How do you find information on neurosurgeons, hospitals, etc. Any help from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated.

Russ

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 10:01:43 pm »
David
  I just read your post again and see you are having GK. Sorry I got so excited when I saw translab...
  Best wishes with the GK but know it does not always come w/o adverse affects also but at least you have a chance at saving that hearing and balance!
  God bless!    -Russ

s.dinapoli

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 11:41:22 am »
David,
Radiation will save whatever hearing you have left for the time and maybe even for a long time but it's not guaranteed. Any decision you make has it's share of potential consequences. Even if you wait and watch you could still lose your hearing and/or balance. This is what sucks about these tumors. Still get pissed at times for ever having one to begin with but life is back to normal. Remember, you are in control and all I can suggest is to take your time (months or even years) to really decide which treatment is best for you (if any). All three surgical procedures have their pros and cons. Trans-lab will offer the most direct route and opportunity for total removal while the others might be able to save some hearing. I had my 1.2 cm. tumor completely removed trans-lab and lost my remaining hearing which was about what you have right now. My wife claims that my hearing is no worse off  now than before surgery. Technicaly this cannot be possible but I must admit that I still hear very well but just not in very crowded atmospheres. I just had my one year hearing exam and my opposite hearing ear is excellent. If it stays this way for the rest of my life I will be very vey happy.  I couldn't talk over the phone on my right AN ear prior to surgery and I cannot use the phone following my surgery. I had horrible "icepick" pains in my AN ear prior to surgery and finally gone now. I still have tinnitus but not even noticeable at times. Also, I have to honetly say that the opposite side vestibular function has compensated extremely well and I hardly ever notice any imbalances when tested. It did take about a full year to get there. I wouldn't say it's perfect but real good. Your brain will adjust and compensate with other sensory functions. Try to speak to people within each group (waiting & watching, radiation and surgical). Always remember though we are all in this together. We all have our own reasons for our choice of treatment. There is enormous literature over the internet. I have two binders packed with facts and stories. If you are very young (like in your early twenties or teenage years) and your tumor is extremely small it may be wise to wait and watch for the moment and monitor it carefullt through MRI's unless of course you are suffering serious vertigo or something. Good Luck in whatever you choose.